Ants...

Stabbo-Lad

Everything I pick up in the kitchen seems to have a red ant clinging to it. :o And of course any food left out is covered in minutes.

I've always used the little yellow granules that they carry back to the nest and they've always worked fine but now the ants have gotten wise to it and refuse to take them any more.

How do you guys get rid of them?

SL.

Everything I pick up in the kitchen seems to have a red ant clinging to it. :o And of course any food left out is covered in minutes.

I've always used the little yellow granules that they carry back to the nest and they've always worked fine but now the ants have gotten wise to it and refuse to take them any more.

SL.

yellow tin of spray from 7/11 wipes em out in seconds but dont let the thais see you, it will help keeping no food anywhere or just fridge!

Everything I pick up in the kitchen seems to have a red ant clinging to it. :D And of course any food left out is covered in minutes.

i find the only way to keep all Thailand's little buggie friends at bay...the scavengers at least - ants and roaches - is to keep my house squeeky clean. This is actually good for me otherwise my house would be a real pig-pen like my place back in farangland :D Especially the kitchen...even a few crumbs of bread or grains of suger on the counter or floor are like a 5-star gourmet buffet to an ant or roach!

Also, keep all unrefrigerated food items in airtight containers. Also, repack all store items that are sold in sealed plastic packaging into, again, airtight containers as the red fire ants (than have a nice painful/itchy bite too) can eat through thin plastic food packaging (how they smell the food inside through this plastic is a mystery to me.

the other option is to constantly spray poisons of one type or another around your house. Smelly and not ideal if you have kids/pets. Better to just become a clean freak like me :o

Edited by jonniebkk

Already got this problem!

The way I did was to kill the queen!

Follow the ants line-up aroung 5:30-6pm! You'll see maybe the queen! Spray on it and on the line-up and the problem will be fixed untill other explorers take the same way!

Honnestly, that's what I did and since 2 years, no problem at all!

They tried back this year (1 month ago) and saw 2 queens in the line-up and did like explained. No problems at all!

The wife won't let me use spray because of our 6 month old son and I can't follow them back to the nest because they're coming in from outside and I don't have access to the side of my kitchen wall.

I'm trying my best to keep the kitchen spotlessly clean but with an eight year old boy who's forever leaving things lying around and a wife that's not much better its a full time job!

SL.

There are pestecides (baits) on the marked these days that is not dangerous for human beings.

The insects eat the bait, then die after 24-36 hours. This results in the dead ones being eaten by the live ones, thus the stuff goes into their food chain. Sooner or later the queen will eat it too.

SL.

find the point of entry and mark it with one of them lime sticks it woked for me

Already got this problem!

The way I did was to kill the queen!

Follow the ants line-up aroung 5:30-6pm! You'll see maybe the queen! Spray on it and on the line-up and the problem will be fixed untill other explorers take the same way!

Honnestly, that's what I did and since 2 years, no problem at all!

They tried back this year (1 month ago) and saw 2 queens in the line-up and did like explained. No problems at all!

FroggyQC, were you an "ant" in a past life? Does the queen were a crown or some sort of formal dress? I'm not sure exactly how to identify her? 555

Yep, like they say, just keep everything absolutely spotless. In the fridge or the airtight containers with the snap-down lids; the best are the ones with the built-in soft seal. If you can find the nest, pour boiling water down the exit point. They're not crazy about that...

http://www.howtogetridofstuff.com/ You could try this website. It's pretty good for this sort of problem.

Edited by micksterbs

Wipe some vinegar about, and maybe put a small bowl where they are most active, you can even spray some, they will be gone. the white vinagar if poss.

I did the same with white vinegar. It works for awhile. Clean all counters and areas where ants are. Then wipe the counters with the vinegar.

Maybe I will bring some of the ants from my apt over to your place. I swear to god they're ******* retarted! I live in a studio with a bathroom and every morning they have infested the bathroom completely just runing around looking for god knows what, so I just spray em down the drain. I always have trash all over the floor too and lot of delicious snacks but the ants are just really unwilling to come out of the bathroom. I only got the to come out once when I accidently spilled some real sugar about 3 feet from the bathroom but when they came out they got the shoe :o Never seen any red ants but I think you should just keep your place clean!

I also have problems with Ants, and they march down my walls coming from the roof. they all follow eachother in a very straight line. I have been spraying the whole line with mosquito spray which kills them instantly. If i accidently leave food out, within minutes its covered in the little demons, and they especialy like sweet foods and suger as we all know. Someitmes they are tiny Ants, but sometimes they are quite bigger. Where can i identify the Queen Ant? i saw previously somebody said kill the QUEEN and there will be no more, what does the queen look like? Someimes my partner will leave an empty glass next to the bed, which contained sweet juice, this can also cause ants to go onto the bed - then its a sleepless night. I have woken many times with an Ant running up my arm. Dont leave any sweet foods around not even a sugar granule becuase within minutes it will be gone or covered in them.

Where can i identify the Queen Ant? i saw previously somebody said kill the QUEEN and there will be no more, what does the queen look like?

The Queen will be in the nest, and the OP says he cannot get to the nest. You do sometimes see a slightly bigger ant or several in the "line", because, I think, that will be a soldier as opposed to a worker.

Happy to be corrected, but thats how most ant colonies seem to work

The only solution I find to work, at least for a while, is a blast of the 7/11 spray into the nest, just follow the line back to source, a hole in the ground in the case of the bigger ants. I have never managed to suss out where the really tiny red ones live :o

I find ants amazing ! I mean HOW DO THEY KNOW ABOUT THE YELLOW PELLETS ?!?!

I did the same as the OP by putting down that little plastic box with the holes and yellow pellets inside. They went crazy for them and took them all back to the nest & viola ! No ants for months.

However when they came back again I used the box and none of the ants went near it ?

I would love to know how they knew not to touch it.

Anybody got the answer ?

:o

Do they have Borax in Thailand? Innocuous-looking white powder (has many uses but toxic to humans and pets at high concentrations). Mix it with sugar, and the ants really go for it. When the ants bring it back to the nest and eat it, it causes them to explode :o

SL.

yellow tin of spray from 7/11 wipes em out in seconds but dont let the thais see you, it will help keeping no food anywhere or just fridge!

Why not let the thais see you???

Why not let the thais see you???

Serious question?

Because it's poisonous as h**l and my wife always mutters (quite rightly). It needs to be used very sensibly, don't breath any in or use in an enclosed space :o

The ants go from frisky to dead in about 1 second flat.

I have found spraying Simple Green cleaner kills them and is non toxic.

If I can find the ant trail outside on the building I spray it as well.

Usually works the first time second time is guaranteed.

Kills the ants and just wipe up the trail of dead ones later.

I was out of Simple Green this summer and used some Shower mildew and scum remover.

It worked just as well.

Some of the commercial pest companies here are now using TKO orange oil spray for ants and termites.

Here it works very well and non toxic to humans and pets... :o