Where Would You Tell Them To Go ?

Mumbo Jumbo

Well ive just had a Christmas Card from some friends in the Uk, and they would like to visit Thailand some time during in 08, they are a married couple in their late 50’s Not traveled too much abroad , As ive only been to a few areas here in Thailand

Can any one suggest places that may be suited for a quiet and not too adventurous couple could visit, I was thinking of telling them the best time to come here is between November and February ? any ideas or suggestions welcome.

Malaysia would be better for them, I think...a lot less hassle and more civilized, plus no language barrier.

But if Thailand is their wish, then Phuket would likely offer what they want. Though for a truly unforgettable trip, a seaplane to Phi Phi would be awesome, now there's a real tropical paradise!

I have been to Phi Phi for the first time a couple of months ago, recommend the Holiday Inn, an excellent resort with everything you need for fun and good food (food definitely remains a problem in other parts of the island...expensive and utter <deleted> for the most part). It's situated on a peninsula and has a great Sunset Bar and the beach is just stunning - you go a few steps out in the water and are surrounded by tropical fish!

Thanks Florin , the Holiday Inn sounds just right ...

I think what i'm going to do is make a list of suggestions of possible places for them to visit

and also tell them to have a look at a Thai travel / holiday suggestions web site, does any one know of a decent

Thailand holiday guide web site ..? then they also can put forward places they ''think '' they would like to visit

to me , then I can also ask for comments here at the same time on the places ''they think '' they would like to visit.

Thanks

Can any one suggest places that may be suited for a quiet and not too adventurous couple could visit, I was thinking of telling them the best time to come here is between November and February ? any ideas or suggestions welcome.

If you are suggesting Novenber, don't send them to Samui. Rainy season.

yes, the british winter time the best is to spend somewhere in the hot countries - however, if they are still working than they should come as soon as the summer holidays starts, before the rainy season sets in thailand for good.

depending where you live - but bangkok, ayuthaya and kanchanaburi are worth to be. Beaches are usually for the younger crowds

Thanks for your comments, my friends are both self employed so may be they can come to Thailand at any time,

one comment they put on their Christmas card was...

( and we definitely want to avoid any "fly" seasons) so as you can see I think they are not the Trekking type

Thanks

Send them to Hua Hin.

Yep, Hua Hin's a good option for travelers of their years. Lots of retirees there (not that they would necessarily want to mix with them) and a little less in-yer-face than other Thai beach destinations. Also easy to get to :o

Thanks for the replies... I'm sorting out a list for my friends about their trip here and I am looking for

a web site they could look at for general information Etc, the web sites Ive found so far are either for back packers, or trying to push Hotels.. does any one know a Thailand travel tips web site I can pass on to my friends thats not to

biased , just straight forward travel to Thailand information and tip's Etc ..?

Thanks

Well ive just had a Christmas Card from some friends in the Uk, and they would like to visit Thailand some time during in 08, they are a married couple in their late 50's Not traveled too much abroad , As ive only been to a few areas here in Thailand

Sounds like they should stay close to Bangkok, where the flies are few and their friends are closeby (you). If they do stay in Bangkok, then there are always the old standbys:

1) Rose Garden, Nakon Prathom (45 minutes away from BKK)

2) Floating Market (can take a tour day trip)

3) Safari World (an hour and half away); Dream World(about the same)

4) Day trip to Kanchanaburi (Death train and the River Kwai)

5) Ayutthaya (by boat)

6) and maybe Pattaya...

There are many tourist attractions within the city, plus all the conveniences of a city including English speaking people, easy transportation, familiar foods and of course, bathrooms!!!

Then again, if not Bangkok, then next best is probably Chiang Mai.

Edited by mauiguy90

Thanks for the replies... I'm sorting out a list for my friends about their trip here and I am looking for

a web site they could look at for general information Etc, the web sites Ive found so far are either for back packers, or trying to push Hotels.. does any one know a Thailand travel tips web site I can pass on to my friends thats not to

Thanks

On www.tripadvisor.com you can find loads of info and comments (about Hotels/Resorts etc.) by previous travelers to all parts of Thailand; just search.

LaoPo

I would say for the beach go to Krabi , where they also can do some

island hubbing . From there take the airplane , airasia , to Chiangmai

where they should take a roundtrip like Chiangmai - Chiangdao - fang-

mae ai - Thaton - Chiangrai back to Chiangmai .(lots of mountains and hilltribe people

waterfalls and hotsprings on the way) also Pai Maehongson is nice .

Sure they will have a very lovely holiday doing just that , the North is very

beautiful and the people are the most friendly in Thailand .

May one suggest Kanchanaburi.

2-3 hours out of Bangkok, Mountains (well really hills) two rivers, The Famous Bridge of the River Kwai (Khwae), waterfall, etc.etc....

Lots to do and to see.

Easy life and cheaper compared to other places.

Kan Win :D

P.S. Hint, go on my profile page and there is a link to "Thailand as I see it" :o

For relaxation, culture, beach, and food, I strongly suggest my favorite, Coral Island Resort on Coral Island, a 20 minute speedboat ride out from Chalong Bay (Phuket.) We stay in a single bungalow directly on the beach (like roughing it except aircon, western bathroom, and great bed!) The food is fresh fruit and seafood cooked and served on the beach. Excellent Englishe speaking service. No crowds, no noise, but we choose quiet, massages, sunbathing on private beach, etc. Also, great day trips from the Island to Phang Nga (James Bond Island), Koh Phi Phi, Phuket (for shopping and crowds.) Cheap prices year round. This is the place to relax and find beauty/romance with your girlfriend, wife, family, or friends. PS...don't tell everybody. Let's keep this spot to ourselves!

Tell them to come to Chiang Mai.

The city is great for old people that don't want to participate in anything too strenuous. Guaranteed to be quite, very few nasty bar girls, venues close early or don't open at all, so one can go to bed early without missing anything.

Maybe they can go sightseeing in Chiang Mai and experience the joy of having a genuine Thai granny massage in the town or shop at Tesco Lotus and dine at the exquisite MK restaurant.

They may wish to purchase a property and retire here.

Many old Farangs retire to Chiang Mai, enjoy a few years and seem to live on forever.

Edited by powwow

Tell them to come to Chiang Mai.

The city is great for old people that don't want to participate in anything too strenuous. Guaranteed to be quite, very few nasty bar girls, venues close early or don't open at all, so one can go to bed early without missing anything.

Maybe they can go sightseeing in Chiang Mai and experience the joy of having a genuine Thai granny massage in the town or shop at Tesco Lotus and dine at the exquisite MK restaurant.

They may wish to purchase a property and retire here.

Many old Farangs retire to Chiang Mai, enjoy a few years and seem to live on forever.

Reading that, i'm suprised they don't die early of boredam!

late 50's old???? They may well feel insulted by that. I certainly would if was late 50's.

I found CM to be a lovely, interesting, quite vibrant city with a bit of something to suit all tastes.

Don't remember getting to bed before 01.00 once.

Thanks

The Tourism Authority of Thailand in their home country. It is a Thai government body.