Want To Buy A Camcorder In Tl

klikster

I'm in the process of reviewing and trying to make a decision about a high end consumer camcorder. After reading quite a number of reviews, I have my eye on a Canon HV20 .. but I'm not sure my budget agrees.

Where is the best place in BKK to buy one of these critters?

And is there an english language website that has prices of camcorders and accessories.

Also, has anyone any (customs) experience with online purchased equipment of this type being shipped to a Thai name here in TL?

Any camcorder reviews also welcomed .. cc, case, wa lens and tripod in the Bt 40,000 range ..

You've chosen correctly... the HV20 is probably the best high def consumer camcorder out there right now.

However, Canon Thailand (as usual) has only just introduced the HV20 to the Thai market. As of now, I have yet to see it sold in any Thai shops.

English websites... you can probably check at shop4thai.com, tohome.com, or some others in the sticky. They probably won't have this model listed.

Customs in Thailand is luck of the draw. Sometimes you're charged, sometimes you aren't. Sometimes the charge is ridiculous, sometimes it's small. Really. If you can find someone to carry it in, that would be the best bet.

www.camcorderinfo.com for reviews. The HV20 is sold in the US for around $800, but that's the NTSC version, which is generally OK (this is HD, after all). However, one of the best features of the HV20 is the superb progressive mode, and in NTSC land, it's problematic to get the progressive footage to the computer. For PAL, it's much easier, but the PAL version in the US is around $1200 (perhaps because of the easier progressive mode).

You've chosen correctly... the HV20 is probably the best high def consumer camcorder out there right now.

However, Canon Thailand (as usual) has only just introduced the HV20 to the Thai market. As of now, I have yet to see it sold in any Thai shops.

English websites... you can probably check at shop4thai.com, tohome.com, or some others in the sticky. They probably won't have this model listed.

Customs in Thailand is luck of the draw. Sometimes you're charged, sometimes you aren't. Sometimes the charge is ridiculous, sometimes it's small. Really. If you can find someone to carry it in, that would be the best bet.

www.camcorderinfo.com for reviews. The HV20 is sold in the US for around $800, but that's the NTSC version, which is generally OK (this is HD, after all). However, one of the best features of the HV20 is the superb progressive mode, and in NTSC land, it's problematic to get the progressive footage to the computer. For PAL, it's much easier, but the PAL version in the US is around $1200 (perhaps because of the easier progressive mode).

Thanks for the good information, Firefoxx. I have a Thai friend in BKK checking around for me. So far I haven't heard from him, maybe because the camcorder is not 'around' yet.

In some of the comments I have read on forums, not everyone is liking the 'rolling shutter'. I haven't a clue what a rs does. Can you comment on that?

Thanks again and regards.

Rolling shutter is not much of an issue, unless you take some *really* fast action at really high shutter speeds. What you'll see is that the top and bottom part of the scene will not be updated at the same time, thereby making something like a golf club swinging look curved. Thing is, rolling shutter has been with HDV camcorders for quite some time (my HDV camcorder, first generation, also has it). Again, it's only noticeable if you're going to really examine certain scenes shot by shot. In other words, you don't need to worry about it.

I'm going to guess that even if the HV20 is sold here, it will be quite a bit more expensive (20-50%) than the US, since that's how it's always been with Canon (and Sony, and other brands) of Thailand, especially with new products like this.

Rolling shutter is not much of an issue, unless you take some *really* fast action at really high shutter speeds. What you'll see is that the top and bottom part of the scene will not be updated at the same time, thereby making something like a golf club swinging look curved. Thing is, rolling shutter has been with HDV camcorders for quite some time (my HDV camcorder, first generation, also has it). Again, it's only noticeable if you're going to really examine certain scenes shot by shot. In other words, you don't need to worry about it.

Thanks for that, FF.

I'm going to guess that even if the HV20 is sold here, it will be quite a bit more expensive (20-50%) than the US, since that's how it's always been with Canon (and Sony, and other brands) of Thailand, especially with new products like this.

After reviewing a couple of websites, I'm thinking you are correct. As an example, the Sony HDR-SR7 is Bt 55,000 and that probably does not include VAT.

So I suppose I'll set my sights a bit lower and maybe not even HDV .. maybe Panasonic .. since I mainly want to shoot video for my website.

BTW, is you username honoring the FF browser, or that Russian plane that Clint Eastwood stole? :o

So I suppose I'll set my sights a bit lower and maybe not even HDV .. maybe Panasonic .. since I mainly want to shoot video for my website.

take a look at the Panasonic NV GS320 (called PV GS320 in the USA). It's a 3 CCD miniDV model and the quality of video is superb

check this

shot with one, you won't get much better than this...

take a look at the Panasonic NV GS320 (called PV GS320 in the USA). It's a 3 CCD miniDV model and the quality of video is superb

check this

shot with one, you won't get much better than this...

That's a nice shot. Did you buy this in Thailand or the US? If in Thailand, what price range? Did you get a wide angle lens for it?

That's a nice shot. Did you buy this in Thailand or the US? If in Thailand, what price range? Did you get a wide angle lens for it?

That's not my footage, but it shows the quality of video it produces (near hi def) it's 300 GBP in the UK, in Thailand not sure but would like to know..

NV-GS320EP-S.jpg

i too was thinking about a HV20 'til i saw this little 3CCD gem. Not the same full manual control as the Canon and lacks mic in jacks, but the quality speaks for itself...

take a look at the Panasonic NV GS320 (called PV GS320 in the USA). tage[/url] shot with one, you won't get much better than this...

Please note that the US model record using NTSC and others PAL.

This may affect your choice.

NTSC (Never Twice the Same Colour)

PAL (Peace At Last)

That's not my footage, but it shows the quality of video it produces (near hi def) it's 300 GBP in the UK, in Thailand not sure but would like to know..

NV-GS320EP-S.jpg

i too was thinking about a HV20 'til i saw this little 3CCD gem. Not the same full manual control as the Canon and lacks mic in jacks, but the quality speaks for itself...

Maybe this is an upgrade from the GS230G? The GS230G is listed at Bt 22,900 inc VAT at shop4thai.com, but it has a less respected lens.

Anyone know the price on the NV-GS320EP-S in Bangkok. If it's 300 GBP in the UK, it is probably in the Bt 40,000 range here. I'm pretty sure anything sold in BKK will be PAL?

Since I also need a WA lens and a decent tripod, I'm watching my Bt very closely.

As a result, I am leaning toward the Panasonic PV-GS85 at Bt 15,000. It's not HD, but I'm not sure I need HD .. mainly for videos for the web. Maybe a better one when I grow up. :o

BTW, that's a great Mynah you have .. LOL. I love those birds.

Edited by klikster

I brought a NTSC Canon HV-20 back from the US a few weeks ago to be used for aerial video. My buddies in Thai TV production say the NTSC won't be a problem for them with the latest HD editing software. We'll see. Anyone in the Hua Hin area is welcome to come by and see for yourself. Even better if you'll ride in the plane (I've removed the doors!) and take some video for fun!

I brought a NTSC Canon HV-20 back from the US a few weeks ago to be used for aerial video. My buddies in Thai TV production say the NTSC won't be a problem for them with the latest HD editing software. We'll see. Anyone in the Hua Hin area is welcome to come by and see for yourself. Even better if you'll ride in the plane (I've removed the doors!) and take some video for fun!

PM sent.

I have my eye on a Canon HV20

Have you ever checked out the Vimeo site ?

similar to youtube but allows for higher bitrate uploads and supports HD. In other words, this site can show what the HV20 is capable of. There's some stunning looking vid's on there.

here's a few..

HV20 on Vimeo 1

HV20 on Vimeo 2

HV20 on Vimeo 3

remember that your PC screen probably isn't HD, but they look this good already.. check 'em in full screen still crisp

after watching these, I think i'm swaying back toward the Canon myself.. for a few dollars more its an amazing camera clint..

I have my eye on a Canon HV20

Have you ever checked out the Vimeo site ?

similar to youtube but allows for higher bitrate uploads and supports HD. In other words, this site can show what the HV20 is capable of. There's some stunning looking vid's on there.

here's a few..

HV20 on Vimeo 1

HV20 on Vimeo 2

HV20 on Vimeo 3

remember that your PC screen probably isn't HD, but they look this good already.. check 'em in full screen still crisp

after watching these, I think i'm swaying back toward the Canon myself.. for a few dollars more its an amazing camera clint..

WOW! Those are nice vids. The colors are great.

About what file size / minute of video would these be?

Doggone! Now I'm thinking big bucks again. :o

Edited by klikster