Schools for farang's kids

wolf5370

Guys (and girls of course),

can any of you refer me to a web site/publication etc to help me compare International schools in Thailand. I have done the usual Google searches, but this only gives me their schools web sites which are often very vague and hard to compare - they obviously always put themselves in a good light!

I have 3 kids that live with me: 14 y/o boy (currently at a Grammar in the UK), a nearly-4 y/o girl (currently at a private school in the UK) and a 2 y/o girl about 6 months away from starting.

The 4 y/o has already been taught to read and write basic english and simple mathmatics. She starts french after Summer.

None of them have Thai. The two girls are farang noi, the boy is farang.

I want a comparable school preferably around Chiang Mai, but will consider BKK, Pataya etc (but not Isaan or south - wife will not go there). Must be European or US style and cater for their ages. Any help you can give would be brilliant.

I currently pay around £6k a year for my 4 y/o (14 y/o boy is free as the Grammar is maintained not private - although in the top 15 of schools in the UK year on year)

Cheers,

Their are two excellent private schools in Pattaya. Both off of Sukemvit road. My girl friend and i intervewed one in may, and , looked to be excellent. 100% farang children go to this school. The cost is $1000.00US per year. unfortunately i don't have the name as my fiance has the paperwork, and she is in Thailand while i am still in Los Angeles for the next two weeks. You can send me an E mail in 2 weeks and i'll give you the name. You realy have to be in Thailand to make a decision. The school also wants to intervew the children.

I would ask your Embassy for advise.  Although there are a number of recent 'International Schools' very few would be considered 'good'.  I expect those that are would be charging very little less than in the UK.

Thanks people,

Husker, I will send you said Email in a few weeks (probably 3 as I'll be away in 2 weeks) - Thanks.

Lopburi3, granted they would provide a list, but I did not think they would give me the low down - I come here for that. Cheers anyway.

D80, Thanks, I visit BKK Post a lot, but never think to read more than the headlines - I will take your advise.

Keep those comments coming guys/girls!

Wolf,

I will be in Pattaya on the 26th of july, and will be putting an application for admission of my fiance's son in to this school the week of july 28th. You can E mail me after that and i will have the complete low down on this school. I am an american retireing in Pattaya, and when i visited this school in May they impressed me with what they teach. This school has grades K thru 12 which i found convenient so the children can complete high school without changeing schools. They also have school bus service to pick up the children, and bring them back home. extra charge for this service of course. The cost is about $1000.00 US per yr.

Lopburi3, granted they would provide a list, but I did not think they would give me the low down - I come here for that. Cheers anyway

They would probably tell you what schools are used for their children; and it probably will not be more than a handful, if that many.  Good schools are not cheap here and expect few outside the business/diplomatic community will have much real information and suspect most of them don't have time to post here.  Be careful as not all schools are high quality.