Stone Throwing In Surat Thani

sbk

Youngsters suspected in stoning

There have been reports of people throwing stones at passing vehicles along the Asia Highway in Surat Thani.

Published on December 30, 2007

Police said three vehicles were struck yesterday while travelling through tambon Tharua in Ban Na Doem district. No injuries were reported.

Provincial Governor Winai Buapradit expressed concern about damage to the area's reputation and the effect the incidents could have on tourism.

There will be night patrols by provincial and highway police along the road. Rescue officials and administrative organisation officials are on alert, too.

Winai suspects youngsters and called on parents to control their children.

Stone-throwing incidents have occurred in other areas, including Ayutthaya, Pathum Thani and Nakhon Pathom.

Source: The Nation

Youngsters suspected in stoning

There have been reports of people throwing stones at passing vehicles along the Asia Highway in Surat Thani.

Published on December 30, 2007

Police said three vehicles were struck yesterday while travelling through tambon Tharua in Ban Na Doem district. No injuries were reported.

Provincial Governor Winai Buapradit expressed concern about damage to the area's reputation and the effect the incidents could have on tourism.

There will be night patrols by provincial and highway police along the road. Rescue officials and administrative organisation officials are on alert, too.

Winai suspects youngsters and called on parents to control their children.

Stone-throwing incidents have occurred in other areas, including Ayutthaya, Pathum Thani and Nakhon Pathom.

Source: The Nation

What could they be thinkin doing stuff like that?? Where do they get their ideas from? Geez, I hope it won't reached NST.

This kind of stuff happens in Australia as well...and I think it's a reflection on the kids (?) that are doing it and their upbringing, or lack thereof, rather than the country they live in. I know people have got killed and seriously injured in Australia from this kind of stupidity.

This kind of stuff happens in Australia as well...and I think it's a reflection on the kids (?) that are doing it and their upbringing, or lack thereof, rather than the country they live in. I know people have got killed and seriously injured in Australia from this kind of stupidity.

Indeed, happens from time to time in the states as well. Many overpasses have chain link fence around them to prevent this sort of thing.

Well kids will be kids, we used to use balls made out of snow to throw at cars for fun (only during winter time back home)...

I do know that stones are a bit harder but it is the lack of after school activities and all the violence from TV and Video Games we should blame. If you think about it, we might want to bring in the education system also...

If they threw a stone on my car they better run faster than I can drive, run, or walk (if uphill)

They just do what they are taught by parents and what they see on TV... always stones flying on TV.

• 2 months later...
Once news spreads of this type of thing, I guess the occurrence might spread as the 'copy cat' influence takes place.

I think that's what's already happening. This kind of thing has been reported in the press for a couple years now. Sometimes it seems to be a way to make vehicles pull over for a possible robbery attempt and sometimes just for kicks.

• 4 weeks later...

Well this doesnt suprise me.Today was coming from Krabi using the Van and on the way a pick up full of teenage started smasing bottle on the road besides throwing to the van.This was really scary who knew what they where up too.Then they stoped and threaten the driver then we managed to over pass them.After two Kilometers the driver stoped at a near by rescue patrol post and he reported the incident.We tried to chill there to wait the truck but it never showed up then the cops arrived and they went to look after the teenagers.

We then finally borded the van again and continued with our journey.