One Line To Live By While In Thailand For 2008

disgruntled

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Be Prepared"

... this country is on the verge of great change... not necessarily for the better...

And if a 'Certain High Ranking Exhalted Personage" should "leave us" (coming soon) than the glue that holds this whole thing together will be gone...

Best case scenerio - Your pipe-dream is as good as mine. (Unlikely under current political, cultural, social and economic conditions.)

Worst Case - Continued strife, divisiveness and backward slide. (More likely)

Prediction - Hold on tight and be ready to "Jump".

CS

The golden rule works for me, & if the others choose not to live by the golden rule Up to them.

Life seems to be easier if you treat people like you want to be treated. True it doesn't always work- but I am an optimist & believe it opens more doors when your fair & help out in some way when you can.

I saw the Thai/farang movie recently, ''The Butterfly Man''. Now it was'nt the most awe inspiring movie i've ever seen but there was a scene which i thought was quite appropiate to the Thai culture and i thought there were some very true words. The main character goe's into a bar and gets chatting to a drunk elderly Thai chap. the Thai chap then say's to him...

'' This is Thailand, You do good, you get good. You do bad, you get bad.''

Works for me. :o

The old Golden Rule is always appropriate, "Treat Others As You Would Like To Be Treated"

Or a slightly more enhanced version if you really want to change your life for the better:

Beginning today, treat everyone you meet as if they were going to be dead by midnight. Extend them all the care, kindness and understanding you can muster. Your life will never be the same again.

'Expect the unexpected'

This one line has enabled me to continually enjoy my 12 years here regardless of the daily frustrations that 'could' easily wear me down and turn me into one of those 'bitter and twisted' Farang that are all too common.

You know the saying "When in Rome.......................

I concur with the above, :D

Remember this is Thailand Not your country of origin &

“Things are maybe different”

Adapt or move. :o

Regards & good luck in 2008

:D

Okay, I've been around a bit but I still haven't any real words of wisdom to give a person living in Thailand. 2007 wasn't the best year for me, so I'm looking for your thoughts on how to live happily in Thailand in 2008 and on. I'd bet this has been done in the past but right now it's the new year and this is the time of the year many people are thinking about changing the way they live. Give your golden rule for 2008. :o

I think it is important not to forget who you are and what kind of person you are before Thailand..

with all this mai pen rai and jai yen yen...sometimes you will forget how to express your true emotions towards people..and sometimes you will totally forgot your old character, maybe it is positive for some persons, but it could also be a lost of Translation..forgetting your true color..

Maybe a good new year resolution is be true to yourself no matter where you are..

1. A closed mouth gathers no feet

2. Remember, no-one is listening until you Fart.

3. Sex is like air........... it is only really important is you aren't getting any.

4. Good judgement comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgement.

5. Don't worry, it only seams kinky the first time.

Have you noticed those pink bracelets some of the Thais are wearing now? They say

"tum dee puea paw" or roughly translated "do good for the father" I'm sure you get

the implied meaning. Sometimes I think the only glue holding this ship together. :o