please respect my wishes

i have heard that spicy food not only can burn in your

mouth

but that there can be an after effect at the other end

from my experience that appears to be the case

any INSIGHTS?

i prefer to post this in the health rather than food forum

please respect my wishes

i have heard that spicy food not only can burn in your mouth but that there can be an after effect at the other end from my experience that appears to be the case any INSIGHTS?

true!

Back in the UK I, as well as many of my colleagues, used to suffer from the Sunday morning "ring of fire" syndrome after the obligatory Saturday night vindaloo, or hotter, post closing time Indian curry. :o

However, having eaten food in Thailand that makes those extra hot Indians taste like nothing more than stews I can say I have never experienced the same effect. It may be that my guts and exit chute have become cauterised and have lost all feeling or it may be the different combinations of spices in Thai food does not produce the same afterburn.

I would suggest if it worries you that you introduce yourself slowly to the more spicy Thai food and monitor the aftereffects.

I can also tell you that putting the toilet tissue in the fridge/freezer has absolutely no effect at all. :D

It may be that my guts and exit chute have become cauterised and have lost all feeling or it may be the different combinations of spices in Thai food does not produce the same afterburn.

also true as the various orifices (input and output) get used to it.

A couple of years back a friend of mine warned me about another drawback of spicy food.

His wife and he enjoyed hot and spicy food.

His wife also enjoyed a 'wrong'un'.

So one night after a particularly hot chille he spent a night satisfying his wifes desire.

Next morning he woke up with a sore ring and member.

Be warned.

A couple of years back a friend of mine warned me about another drawback of spicy food.

His wife and he enjoyed hot and spicy food.

His wife also enjoyed a 'wrong'un'.

So one night after a particularly hot chille he spent a night satisfying his wifes desire.

Next morning he woke up with a sore ring and member.

Be warned.

He suffered a sore RING and member? :o

Is his wife, how can I put this delicately, a katoey?

Or is the slang terminology different where you come from?

A 'wrong'un' is a beautiful euphemism. Am not asking, but would like to know if his better half is a local. If she is, then my education is sorely lacking - I thought the locals were, generally speaking, fairly if not universally conformist. (And he spent 'the night' obliging...the guy's a real brick!)

For me, only certain chillies burn twice. Thai chilli specifically does not, but the ones used in Mexican cousine do. But I have to say I still like Mexican food.

As for the English teacher....... WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a delicate posterior and have suffered the brutal assault from dinner. However, I have watched my Thai friends who heap and I mean heap, chilis and and incendiary pastes on their food. They refrain from alcohol and drink lots of water when they eat. I followed same and noticed that the napalm affect is not as severe.

Yes, there is a big difference in the way that 'new world, ie Mexican' chilis are chemically composed as compared to Asian chilis. (There are also the other different spices used in combination with the chilis that interact too.) I have always taken the proper approach and ordered Thai tea with a Thai meal. With any chilis, milk will do wonders with neutralizing the chemicals, from the mouth on..... I have noticed that with Thai food the 'hot' is there when eating it but within meal time (by the time the sticky rice w/ mango & custard appears) it is reduced or gone, not to reappear. Whith Mexican food, I can sometimes 'relive' the dining experience hours later. I stick with the Thai & do Mexican when obligated to do so with others. (BTY, there are at least 7 Thai restaraunts, owned & run by Thais, within 20 minutes from me here in Fort Worth, Texas. Gotta love it!!)

• 2 weeks later...
i prefer to post this in the health rather than food forum

please respect my wishes

i have heard that spicy food not only can burn in your

mouth

but that there can be an after effect at the other end

from my experience that appears to be the case

any INSIGHTS?

Back in the good old US of A, in a town that I come from is a pizza place called Marty's that cooks up a pizza called "The Hot and Spicy".

Spicy sausage, spicy pepperoni, mexican seasoned ground beef (spicy), onions and heaps of fresh jalapeno peppers. Not these pickled jalapenos that you get here but fresh ones, which would even blow up the best of Thai pepper eaters.

This, amongst all that devoured this finest of pizzas, the next morning, causes what is referred to as "The flag of Japan".

A 'wrong'un' is a beautiful euphemism. Am not asking, but would like to know if his better half is a local. If she is, then my education is sorely lacking - I thought the locals were, generally speaking, fairly if not universally conformist. (And he spent 'the night' obliging...the guy's a real brick!)

IMHE some locals willing to engage in the euphamistic chilli test as per this sordid story.