True Internet - Keep Having To Reconnect

pete66

I have just got True Internet ADSL installed. Speed is very good actually, getting up to 600 Kbps for local web sites.

Only problem is the connection keeps dropping, anytime between a few minutes and 30 minutes.

My best guess is this happens after a short period (2 mins?) of inactivity?

Is this possible? Is there any point in an ADSL provider disconecting users in that fashion? It's not as if I am tieing up a modem?

Or is it just some local problem with modem or computer?

Thanks for any ideas.

I'm only using True dial-up and have had similar problems.:D For three weeks around the date the new subway opened l was being cut off anywhere from 30 seconds to 30 minutes after connecting. Could never find out why and then everything was back to normal, and l'm sure l hadn't changed anything. It happened again all last weekend, dropped connections, time outs and then at midnight Sunday everything was okay so maybe some maintenance by True.

When l tried using the pay as you go Easy Click l would not be cut off, presumably because the baht meter kept ticking away even though l was continually getting time-outs. :o For six months previously l was generally getting reasonable service. Every time you have to dial up again that's another 3 baht in the True piggy bank. Good way of keeping up the cash flow. :D

And while l'm whinging, how come True won't accept payment with an overseas Visa card? :D

Not a problem with every other company l deal with in Thailand.

It seems like True is having problems with their servers lately. I suspect that they're throttling the precious bandwidth they have. I've upgraded my package to the SME trueadsl login, and my connection speed the last three days has been 5-10% of what they gaurantee. For those with the truehisp login, and no guaratee of speed stability, they cut you when your connection is idle. I wish they can just be honest and tell us when we can expect better service.

One thing to check that might not be True's fault.

If you're using a router, is there an automatic disconnect after x minutes of inactivity?

Similarly, if you're using a USB/PCI modem under Windows with dial-up networking, there is a similar setting in Windows.

(My True only drops me once a day - which seems to be normal for anyone with a non-static IP address).

It seems like True is having problems with their servers lately. I suspect that they're throttling the precious bandwidth they have. I've upgraded my package to the SME trueadsl login, and my connection speed the last three days has been 5-10% of what they gaurantee. For those with the truehisp login, and no guaratee of speed stability, they cut you when your connection is idle. I wish they can just be honest and tell us when we can expect better service.

This is flat not true of TRUE HISP. :o

I am logged on 12-14 hours a day and have no more than one or two loss of ADSL signals a month and most of the time it is idle. First month or so was getting disconnects every day, and often a few times, but never lasted more than a minute or two.

I am logged on 12-14 hours a day and have no more than one or two loss of ADSL signals a month and most of the time it is idle. First month or so was getting disconnects every day, and often a few times, but never lasted more than a minute or two.

When I say once a day - I mean every 24 hours.

The router stays logged in - and the connection seems to get dropped once a day. If I'm not actually using it at the time. It's only noticeable from messages on the screen (like logging me off messenger, etc.)

Your 14-16 hours logged in is possibly what is letting you not have that many forced disconnects if you're reconnecting each time you start...

I am logged on 12-14 hours a day and have no more than one or two loss of ADSL signals a month and most of the time it is idle.  First month or so was getting disconnects every day, and often a few times, but never lasted more than a minute or two.

When I say once a day - I mean every 24 hours.

The router stays logged in - and the connection seems to get dropped once a day. If I'm not actually using it at the time. It's only noticeable from messages on the screen (like logging me off messenger, etc.)

Your 14-16 hours logged in is possibly what is letting you not have that many forced disconnects if you're reconnecting each time you start...

I agree with you. My post was about jmark saying if idle TRUE would disconnect you. Believe you are right that there is a 24 hour disconnect.

hi'

it could be the fault of the quality of the phone line, are they fully "debulked" ?

here it depends on this, even with a non-static IP, if full debulked, no disconnection,

if not, once every 24h they have to disconnect to change the IP.

francois

Just had a thought - Did you put a filter on any other phones on the same line... - If not, then anytime someone picks up the phone, you'll lose your ADSL signal.

(Has happened to me if the kids or the maid pulls out the phone cable on one of the extensions, then plugs it back into the wrong socket.)

It's fairly obvious if the phone's not filtered though as you get a fairly nasty background hiss on it.