44 Million Thb Investment (or 1 Million Eur)

Yesterday just ten minutes before midnight, I received the message that my grandma fell and is about to die in the coming days. I'm looking for a flight back home now. My father and grandfather are already dead so I have to take care of everything from now on. Some of you, especially the ones who are retired or plan to retire in Thailand probably looked into ways to invest their money. It would be great if you could share a few ideas and pointers what makes sense. This would help me to start my research with the right ideas.

I'm looking for an investment that lets me sleep and not worry too much. It should have a yearly payout that I will use to pay for the maintenance costs of another house we have, that I don't want to sell (my grandmothers sister lives there right now and I plan to move there in some years). As I said it will be around 1 Million EUR or 44 Million THB.

I would appreciate some ideas.

Sorry to hear about your grandma. I think you need to provide some more info such as how much (approx) are the annual maintenance costs of the house, and approx what are your other expenses (and in what currency, if other than THB) and if the sum you mention is your entire wealth or if you have other assets and/or income.

Thanks. Even though it's terrible, I guess its better than a long sickness and she was over 80 as well so she had her life. :o

The maintenance cost of our other house will be around 800€ a month. I can't really say this is the entire wealth because its likely more. We are selling an apartment right now that is about 1 Million € worth so this is the amount I know for sure. I guess my grandma has maybe 100 - 300.000 more on her bank account.

I saw a 6% savings account from hsbc some time ago and this would mean 60.000€ a year, which is 5.000€ a month. This would be of course more than enough for the house. I personally don't need and want to use any of the money right now.

I lost 70.000€ from 2000-2002 when the bubble exploded so if possible I want to stay away from stocks.

you got a lot of munney there, this should be the last place to get investment advice...........lol.

sounds like you need to learn real fast about investing munney.

for ex. nothing inherently bad with investing in stocks. you just have to include it in a well diversified portfolio.

Blizzard and cm-happy it would help if you read what I write.

"It would be great if you could share a few ideas and pointers what makes sense. This would help me to start my research with the right ideas."

I just look for ideas to start my research. That's it. I'm not relying on any advice from a forum but want to hear opinions.

Edited by freitag1

i did read.

you trash stocks. i tell you you clueless. you need to learn, you obvious neophyte when it cums to investing.

BUY MR. BUFFETS BOOK STOCK MARKET INVESTING FOR PEOPLE WHO LOST MUNNEY IN 2000-2002.

Edited by blizzard

i did read.

you trash stocks. i tell you you clueless. you need to learn, you obvious neophyte when it cums to investing.

BUY MR. BUFFETS BOOK STOCK MARKET INVESTING FOR PEOPLE WHO LOST MUNNEY IN 2000-2002.

I was clueless back then of course otherwise I wouldn't have lost the money. That's why I don't want to make this mistake again. Now go and troll some other threads.

I don't have the time or inclination to check the OPs previous posts, but I think it is highly disingenuous to assume that the OP is a troll, and I don't see anything wrong with asking for opinions on this forum - I thought that this is a good example of what this forum is for ? There are several knowledgable posters here who could give some advice or constructive ideas.

Firstly, I don't think you can a 6% rate from a bank in EUR. I would recommend matching the liability (cost of maintenance) with the asset (the investment). If you can get, say, 3% in EUR, then you need around EUR 300,000 on deposit to cover those costs and leave no exchange rate risk but it does still leave the risk of changes in interest rates. If you intend to live there in, say 5 years from now, then maybe a 5 year fixed deposit or bond would be more appropriate and least risky. There may be some tax issues to consider.

If the rest of your expenses will be in baht then you could, for example, split the remainder between an asian-focussed diversified equity/bond fund, and bank deposits in a range of asian currencies such as THB, SGD, CNY, TWD.

Thanks sonicdragon. So far the best I was able to find was a 4.5% savings account but given the EUR inflation of 1.8% it wouldn't be to good anyway.

Like you said I will look into bonds now. Global bonds with a decent history seem to be a relatively save bet with good returns.

As I said it will be around 1 Million EUR or 44 Million THB.

some trolls have no idea about exchange rates.

Realtime quotes might not be updated or easly tradeable at this very moment but I see an offshore quote of 42.78-43.58 at the moment for EURTHB. And bloomberg shows 43.26 so why does a rate of 44 imply that the OP is a troll ?

Have I missed something ?

who cares about offshore quotes Dragon? the OP seems to reside in Thailand. why would he otherwise quote his inheritance in THB?

Well, must be missing something because I don't understand what you mean :o

Care to elaborate ?

Edit:: Oh, you mean he should be using the onshore rate ? Yes, but enough people are confused about that so I wouldn't read too much into it. Or maybe he was just being conservative. Or maybe he's a troll. Actually, I don't care. Enough said already.

Edited by sonicdragon

who cares about offshore quotes Dragon? the OP seems to reside in Thailand. why would he otherwise quote his inheritance in THB?

Well, must be missing something because I don't understand what you mean :o

Care to elaborate ?

Edit:: Oh, you mean he should be using the onshore rate ? Yes, but enough people are confused about that so I wouldn't read too much into it. Or maybe he was just being conservative. Or maybe he's a troll. Actually, I don't care. Enough said already.

OK, now I'm thinking too much about this :D If he intends to leave Thailand in a few years, as he mentioned, then it could be very unwise to invest a large amount of his available funds in Thailand since he could find it difficult to repatriate them when needed. Thus, using the offshore rate, for comparative purposes, seems quite sensible.

Or am I still missing your point ?

you got a lot of munney there, this should be the last place to get investment advice...........lol.

sounds like you need to learn real fast about investing munney.

for ex. nothing inherently bad with investing in stocks. you just have to include it in a well diversified portfolio.

"Diversified Portfolios" are indeed excellent vehicles for people who have no clue as to where to invest their munney (munny) :o

Naka.

Edited by naka

I also cannot understand this point. 44:1 seems correct.

what it "seems" does not count :o only facts count.

December 31, 2007 11:36 T/T 49.21

January 02, 2008 09:33 T/T 48.88875

http://www.scb.co.th/html/exchange/bk-txtexchange.htm

I also cannot understand this point. 44:1 seems correct.

what it "seems" does not count :o only facts count.

December 31, 2007 11:36 T/T 49.21

January 02, 2008 09:33 T/T 48.88875

http://www.scb.co.th/html/exchange/bk-txtexchange.htm

Ok Naam, I get your point.

But the OP was asking about investments, not exchange rates.

He also never mentioned bringing these funds into Thailand.

Naka.

Just to make a few things clear. I don't care about THB and just posted it that people get an idea how much it is. Some might come from other countries and just calculate in THB so I thought its appropriate to put the amount in THB. I used the oanda.com currency converter, interbank rate. Didn't know that some people would be so picky about the exchange rate.

I won't touch the money and it can just sit on my account back in Europe. I have more than enough money here to live from my work.

Anyway, besides sonicdragon the other posts were not constructive at all. Seems like a lot of people with too much time and too little brain are around in this forum to make asking serious questions worthwhile. But what can you expect of most expats in Thailand anyway. :o

freitag1 - Yesterday, 2008-01-01 10:47:13 "I'm looking for an investment..."

freitag1 -Today, 2008-01-02 14:41:09 "I won't touch the money and it can just sit on my account back in Europe..."

no further comments :o

i hear iraqqi bonds yielding 33% right now. the country is doing well since the ameicxans took care of buznit.

you heard wrong Blizzard. Iraqi (USD) bonds are yielding an extremely meagre 8.xx%, no liquidity as all bonds are in the coffers of institutionals.