Thai Consulate Melbourne & Which Visa?

Phew. Have just browsed and read through all threads in 'Thai visas, residency and Work permits' and couldnt find any info on this so if someone can assist me here it would be great.

My partner has recently been moved to Bangkok with his company and I am looking for a way to join him. The plan was for me to resign and travel over by the end of the year. The company said that would be fine, and I have my doubts.

We are a same gender couple and I would be financially supported to sightsee and keep house.

Does anyone have any experience with the Melbourne Thai Embassy?

Do I enter as a tourist and extend for as long as I can?

Is a Non O visa, to visit friends, a possibility from Melbourne, or at all?

or, should I now look for business/work opportunities in Thailand and seek a work permit?

thanks in advance

Andrew

G'day Andrew

Not sure how much my advice is worth,but never had any problems with the Melb consulate getting O and Tg visas, including muliple. I am based in Tassie and my travel agent sends my pp, form and money by secure post , normally takes only 3 or 4 days. Assume u are in Victoria so probaby only take one day or overnight. Oh well, good luck :o

The Thai's do not officially recognise same sex relationships.

Your best option will be to apply for a double entry tourist visa.

Any Thai Embassy/Consulate will handle this.

Just state that you will be touring Thailand.

On the first entry you will be stamped in for 60 days.

At the end you can apply for immigration for 30 day extension, cost 1900 baht.

After that you must leave the country. You can do a visa- run to Malaysia or Cambodia, exiting Thailand and then coming straight back to use the second entry on your tourist visa. You do not have to come straight back, you might want to take the opportunity to explore a little. Penang has quite an active gay community.

Once back in Thailand you will get a 60 day stamp and this again can be extended for 30 days. That is 6 months covered.

At this point you really do need to leave for a few days and apply for a new double entry tourist visa, and start all over again.

Have a great time in Thailand.

Thanks for the information everyone. So glad I found this forum.

I am planning a two week visit there at the beginning of November. Should I go about applying for a visa now, or arrive and be permitted entry for 30 days? After that I plan on returning in January 2005 for a longer stay, hopefully, a double entry 2x(60+90).

Would it seems strange for me to apply via Brisbane for a double entry visa? Would they ask why and can I do it via mail, or is a visit to Brisbane required?

Regards,

Andrew

Thanks for the information everyone. So glad I found this forum.

I am planning a two week visit there at the beginning of November. Should I go about applying for a visa now, or arrive and be permitted entry for 30 days? After that I plan on returning in January 2005 for a longer stay, hopefully, a double entry 2x(60+90).

Would it seems strange for me to apply via Brisbane for a double entry visa? Would they ask why and can I do it via mail, or is a visit to Brisbane required?

Regards,

Andrew

Brisbane accepts mail from within Australia. Download their form at www.thaiconsulate.org

and FYI Melbourne can be a pretty tough Consulate, and don't like to issue mutiple entry non-immigrant visa's.

??? You must have really rubbed them up the wrong way, I have found them to be easy to deal with and no problem with Visas. PM me fezza for some advice.

and FYI Melbourne can be a pretty tough Consulate, and don't like to issue mutiple entry non-immigrant visa's.

??? You must have really rubbed them up the wrong way, I have found them to be easy to deal with and no problem with Visas. PM me fezza for some advice.

The Melbourne lot will grant a multi non-immigrant O visa to married to Thai applicants. Other classes ofmultiple entry non-immigrant visa's are as rare as hens teeth.