Songkran 2008

stevepattaya

Whatever a sidewalk may be, you were obviously with them, or are you another one of these people who like to invent sad stories to get your point across?

Last year was my first Songkran, and I saw nothing but respect for locals going about their business. They would give a wai, and say mai ow khrap/ khaa, and they were then generally given a small splash on their hands, wais all around, and off they went. This was in Pattaya, and was the second most enjoyable part of Songkran for me.

The most enjoyable part was dealing with the many pompous and arrogant fools moaning on here. To say 'don't you dare' in an aggressive way to 6 or more farang guys who have had a few beers, is like asking a bull to take care of your china shop for a few hours.

Funny isn't it - Thai + wai = respect..............farang + attitude = wet.

It only lasts for 3 weeks in Pattaya, so no problem :o

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah so Fingers now I call on you to explain it, and you can't as we all knew you couldn't, suddenly its a joke, suddenly its not to be taken literally.

So what else about your posts is also a joke and not to taken literally.

Hmm... all of it it seems.

Caught you.

"Whatever a sidewalk may be, you were obviously with them, or are you another one of these people who like to invent sad stories to get your point across?"

Sidewalk is the same as pavement, as I am sure you know. English is not my first language, which I am sure is also obvious, but I do not think this is about linguistic finer points. And no, I was not one of them, and neither did I make up the story.

And I do not think I fall into the "pompous and arrogant fools" group, I merely want to be left alone. I do not mind a bit of friendly water splashing, and I do dress and prepare for Songkran. But there are limits.

"Last year was my first Songkran"...

Sorry, but I have just been here eleven years, but your experience is obviously a lot more powerful and valid than mine. Fair enough, and I hand you the victory. Go on and do what you want. I am tired of this discussion, and I shall go live in a parallel universe from you.

"Whatever a sidewalk may be, you were obviously with them, or are you another one of these people who like to invent sad stories to get your point across?"

Sidewalk is the same as pavement, as I am sure you know. English is not my first language, which I am sure is also obvious, but I do not think this is about linguistic finer points. And no, I was not one of them, and neither did I make up the story.

And I do not think I fall into the "pompous and arrogant fools" group, I merely want to be left alone. I do not mind a bit of friendly water splashing, and I do dress and prepare for Songkran. But there are limits.

"Last year was my first Songkran"...

Sorry, but I have just been here eleven years, but your experience is obviously a lot more powerful and valid than mine. Fair enough, and I hand you the victory. Go on and do what you want. I am tired of this discussion, and I shall go live in a parallel universe from you.

The reason I explained that it was my first year, was to highlight that I was talking purely from my experience that one time. On most things I bow to those more older/ wiser than me, on this I was just relaying what I had seen. And as I was playing for 5 days solid, I did see quite a bit.

Judging from most of the veteran's comments on here I will also probably be fed up with it after 10 years, I will also be in my mid 40's which will probably change my perspective, but for now let us have our fun, and try to remember how you felt 10 years ago.

Judging from most of the veteran's comments on here I will also probably be fed up with it after 10 years, I will also be in my mid 40's which will probably change my perspective, but for now let us have our fun, and try to remember how you felt 10 years ago.

And maybe you should just give a thought for those who are ten years further on than you. :o

And maybe you should just give a thought for those who are ten years further on than you. :D

And that would be..........ME !!!!!! :D

It's a little early, but I would like to remind everybody that this year will be the 3rd Annual Jai Dee Hunt !

Each year at Songkran, a marauding pack of malingering malcontents (being me, myself and I) take it upon ourselves to try and track down the wily Jai Dee and give him a good splashing ! :o

It's a tough and thankless job. The elusive Jai Dee has been known to pull such tricks as moving to Sattahip, or temporarily relocating to Phuket to avoid the hunters. What kind of evil schemes will this cunning creature conjure this season ?

Last season I tried to lure him out into the open with (partial) glasses of (kind of stale) Chang Beer. I even had recorded mating calls playing (Hey Sexy Man !), but alas, the Devious Dee was wise to the ploy (possibly because I mentioned it here ? :D ), and refused to take the bait. (I did managed to lure in about 43,000 sleeveless shirt, shorts and sandal wearing slackards though) :D

So I/we/us will have to try a new tactic this year. Maybe Leo instead of Chang ? Sang Som ? Khatoey mating calls ? What will it take to lure the jungle Jai out of his lair ?

When I first 'lived' in Pattaya, we rented a 'sip-lor' water tanker, loaded the tank at the Naklua ice factory the night before and spent the 2 days happily blasting everyone from on high with them new-fangled pvc pipe blasters. We were a legend!

Ten years later, I was in a car on south Pattaya road and saw a small pickup overloaded with people and drums of water unable to brake on the wet surface. It slid into 3 girls on a crotch rocket, smashing them into the back of the truck in front. All the sanuk went out of it then.

Last April, I went to Vientiane with my wife, a buddy and his girlfriend. We saw Songkran like it used to be... fun, respectful, and those Lao girls with red hair looked hot.

I think I will go back to Laos this year and see if I can rent a sip-lor.

Edited by NanLaew

• 4 weeks later...

As an old and not quite, decrepit, I enjoy all the fun of Songkran

I nreckon a lot of the posts in here deriding Songkran, dirty water, eye infections are from sourpusses who could I guess be called........

Grinches of Songkran.

A modicum of care, like if worried about eyes, swimming goggles would be helpful.

Hey, get out and enjoy.

Edited by Zpete

Where do these clowns all come from?

Tarqin.

MA (Oxon) PPE since you ask...

In Songkran I also use PPE (Personal Protective Equipment).

(Oh, sorry, you meant Politics, Philosophy and Economics)

For all those going out to enjoy the Pattaya version of Songkran, remember - shorts, singlet and thongs are the best dress, and wrap your money in a plastic bag.

And for the poster who was complaining about the flour - this is a normal part of the scene (talc is an alternative). Remember - the next well-aimed water jet will wash it off. And the next katoey will put back some more. And the next water-jet .....

You get the idea.

Do you think we could rent one of these now? I would have thought that this would be their busiest time of year, and they would'nt be keen to rent them out. Sounds like a blast though!! :o

Everything has a price in Thailand so you probably could. But 20 years ago, the traffic was less manic and you could pretty much keep moving. Nowadays it would probably be just a pain in the (wet) arse sitting on a 10-wheeler, stuck in traffic.

• 2 weeks later...

back to topic :D i am pretty sure they started at midnight between 11th and 12th last year.

And since the 11th this year is a friday it will probably be the same this year :o

But 18th and 19th is ofcouse the highlights, the week before is just...ehh...hmm...a reason to get pissed :D

Waiing moron foreigners is not on my agenda. I guess these thais were betting you more than waiing, and then grumbling about all these stupids farangs down there. People like you juste give a bad reputationto other expats who try to have a decent life in this country.

Comprendo ?

Edited by hp8000

I have never been lucky/unlucky enough to be in thailand at this time of year due to work but I am hoping like hel_l to make it this year (another kid in a grown-ups body) I have however celebrated it in The UK by driving through leeds city centre with my 3 kids in the back of the car, shooting people with their super soaker's :D Just had to clamp down on the little toads when we were stuck at traffic lights :D

edit because at first I wrote "a grown-up in a kids body..thought that might have led to PM'S from nonce's

get here lad its sound

most of the complaints come from older farangs not people who still know how to enjoy themselves. not a dig, its the truth.

however my 55 year old brother in law loved it last year. mainly because i showed him what a great day it can be. chill, have a beer and enjoy

Well sonkran here I come. The ex is bringing the 3 kids over then clearing off to samui with her new bloke. I swung coming home 2 weeks early from work so cant wait to get at it B):D:burp: . My little unit of water trooper's will include 4 kids and 2 adults all armed with super soakers, back packs containing gallon container's and maybe goggles. beach road will be our area of operations which will give us chemical warfare capabilitywhen when we run out of tradition ammo..... We will replenish our supply of ammo from the sea :D:D:D:o:D

Waiing moron foreigners is not on my agenda. I guess these thais were betting you more than waiing, and then grumbling about all these stupids farangs down there. People like you juste give a bad reputationto other expats who try to have a decent life in this country.

Comprendo ?

Umm, did you read my post? At all?

It seems you are the one with tha poor attitude, and will be top of the drenching hitlist.

Kao Jai Mai?

My little unit of water trooper's will include 4 kids and 2 adults all armed with super soakers, back packs containing gallon container's and maybe goggles. beach road will be our area of operations which will give us chemical warfare capabilitywhen when we run out of tradition ammo..... We will replenish our supply of ammo from the sea :D:D:D:o:D

No need to use that polluted water - many barrels along Beach Road and the sois, just smile and fill up. You'll get soaked each time, of course, but <deleted>.

A plastic bag of flour or talc on the belt makes you even more authentic.

Forget the goggles - unless you also wear swim-fins. Then you can do a Kermit waddle.

My little unit of water trooper's will include 4 kids and 2 adults all armed with super soakers, back packs containing gallon container's and maybe goggles. beach road will be our area of operations which will give us chemical warfare capabilitywhen when we run out of tradition ammo..... We will replenish our supply of ammo from the sea :D:D:D:o:D

No need to use that polluted water - many barrels along Beach Road and the sois, just smile and fill up. You'll get soaked each time, of course, but <deleted>.

A plastic bag of flour or talc on the belt makes you even more authentic.

Forget the goggles - unless you also wear swim-fins. Then you can do a Kermit waddle.

Thanks for the info HB

Plastic bags full of flour are now on our munitions acquisition list in place of the backpacks with gallon container's. Just need to find some very thin plastic bags to make flour bombs with :D:D

Whats the big deal here people? If you like the water fights stay and join in ...if you dont take the oppurtunity to explore some other part of Thailand;obviously if you work I could see it being a bit of a bummer..but I dont see all the point in the bickering...

Thanks for the info HB

Plastic bags full of flour are now on our munitions acquisition list in place of the backpacks with gallon container's. Just need to find some very thin plastic bags to make flour bombs with :D:o

I wouldn't recommend that. Enough people get hurt every year as it is by getting blasted with water cannons and buckets of water/ice being thrown at them (even while riding motorcycles).

I don't think throwing packets of flour would be well received (and we all know what happens to flour when it gets wet. Might as well wrap rocks in baggies and throw those, it would have much the same effect, and probably the same reaction from those that get hit by the projectiles).

Stick to dabbing talc on faces and squirting water everywhere else.

Whats the big deal here people? If you like the water fights stay and join in ...if you dont take the oppurtunity to explore some other part of Thailand;obviously if you work I could see it being a bit of a bummer..but I dont see all the point in the bickering...

Takes two weeks to get rid of Conjunctivitis. Getting blasted off a motor scooter with ice water and bags of flour can be a drag even if you are not working. If one lives in Pattaya it is really a bummer having to move.

Apartments/condos/houses are not secure so a vacation involves securing valuables and providing for your mia and three mia nois (average Pattaya expat) let alone the emotional stress on leaving your poor girlfriends alone. The loss of business of only a few of my friends on Soi six could send the country into a depression.

Thanks for the info HB

Plastic bags full of flour are now on our munitions acquisition list in place of the backpacks with gallon container's. Just need to find some very thin plastic bags to make flour bombs with :D:o

I wouldn't recommend that. Enough people get hurt every year as it is by getting blasted with water cannons and buckets of water/ice being thrown at them (even while riding motorcycles).

I don't think throwing packets of flour would be well received (and we all know what happens to flour when it gets wet. Might as well wrap rocks in baggies and throw those, it would have much the same effect, and probably the same reaction from those that get hit by the projectiles).

Stick to dabbing talc on faces and squirting water everywhere else.

Point taken KD. As I stated before, It will be my first Sonkran. Maybe I was getting a little carried away. I certainly do not want to cause any hassle especially with the kids in tow. Thanks for the advice mate.