New Passport

OK guys, kind of a complicated one here. My passport runs out in one year. I know Thailand won't let you back into the country if you have less than 6 months on the passport. I usually go back to the US in May. I could apply for a new passport in Bangkok but the months from Dec-April are really inconvenient for me to travel as I am usually very busy (I don't live anywhere near Bangkok).

here are my questions:

1) If I get a new passport in the US do I then have to mail my passport off to the Thai embassy in order to get the visa transferred from the old one to the new one?

2)Could I reenter Thailand showing my reentry permit and visa from my old passport? (this one seems unlikely)

3) If I get a new passport in Thailand while my one year extension is still under consideration will I then have a problem because of a new passport number? (I apply for the one year extension next week, it usually takes 2-3 months to get back).

4) How long does it usually take to get a new passport either in the US or in LOS?

Why not visit the big island and make your application for a new passport per

Dear Samui Area American Citizens,

The Consular Section of the American Embassy in Bangkok is pleased to inform you of an upcoming Embassy consular visit.  Consular staff will be available to provide consular services to resident American citizens on Friday, September 17, from 8:30 AM to 12:00 PM at the Amari Palm Resort. 

The following consular services will be available:

*Passport renewal applications (US $55.00 or baht 2,200 for adult passports)

*Additional passport pages (no charge)

*Notarial services (US $30 or baht 1,200 for the first notarial; US $20 or baht 800 for each additional related notarial)

*Embassy registration and/or address change

*Absentee ballot application and voting abroad information

*Social security, VA or other federal benefits questions

**We ask that you bring the correct fee as we will not be able to provide change. 

Please note this date on your calendar, and extend an invitation to the America Community residing in the Samui area.  If you have any questions, please e-mail:  [email protected] or call the American Citizen Services Unit at: 02.205.4049 for more information.

We look forward to seeing you on September 17th.

Why not visit the big island and make your application for a new passport

hence the question now! I do my one year extension application on the 13th, would applying for a new passport (and presumably receiving it) before my extension is approved cause difficulties?

I really believe only your friends on the big island (immigration) can give you an answer as even if someone has been there and done that does not mean every office would treat it the same. I do not believe it would be a major problem and suspect the US Consular officer would advise you not to do it if he feels otherwise. Suspect it would just be another trip to submit updated passport copies/info if obtained prior to final extension stamp.

That said, Bangkok Bank got all upset last time I needed a new savings book because passport number was not the same as used when account opened 10 years prior. Only pointing out the visa transfer stamp which had old passport number seemed to make them happy.

Sorry can't be more help.