Any Advice For A Beginner

Hello all,

I have recently returned from a trip to Thailand and now want to spend more time there. I thought to start with maybe 3 months and then try to make it perminent.

I am looking around websites to get ideas but figure you guys must have the best advice.

I am English and 29 years old. I have seen websites promoting a tefl cert for teaching English, is this a good direction to be looking?

I would like to live in Koh Samui would this cause any problems?

Any advice is welcome

Getting a teaching job in LOS is not difficult

for someone from a country such as UK, USA, Aus.

A TEFL certificate is recommended but not required

by many schools.

And you can get positions all over Thailand, Ko Samui

included, although I suspect there is competition for that

location making it more difficult.

You may find Phuket, Krabi, Hua Hin or other beach

locales just as nice and possibly less expensive to live.

Make sure you read up on immigration rules as you

will be making border runs every 90 days unless you

have 3MBaht to invest.

Good Luck

Do you have a bachelors degree in any discipline? It doesn't have to be English language related. If you do not have such a degree, you are likely to have serious problems getting a work permit, and if you find work, it might be illegal, you will have visa issues, and it will be low pay compared to those with degrees. I do think if you haven't ever taught that a TEFL is recommendable and will increase your marketability.

Hi Guys

Thanks for the infomation.

My idea at the moment would be to go to Thailand for three months and check out the work scene, get used to the day to day life and make a desicition on my future then return to England to tie up the loose ends and move permenantly to live and work.

Questions.

1. If I went for three months without working what kind of visa would I need and how would I apply?

2. Would doing the above effect me applying for a working visa in anyway?

Just get the FREE 30 day on arrival visa at Bangkok airport as you are from UK. THen go to immigration wherever you are (here) and try for an extension.

TEFL AND a degree is ALMOST a must for teaching these days.

'backpack' style teaching is a possibility is a possibility but NOT with Thai law :o

there is a site all about teaching which i think is ajaarn.com (ajaarn is teacher in Thai).

Just get the FREE 30 day on arrival visa at Bangkok airport as you are from UK. THen go to immigration wherever you are (here) and try for an extension.

Believe you are talking about the 30-days visa exempted entry.

This can be extented by anothr 10 (somebody recently told me 20) days and that's

it. Not so helpful to stay here for 30 months. :o

Dan, with an English passport you can come here and get a stamp on arrival which allows you to stay for 30 days as a tourist.

On the 29th day you can ask for an extension of 10 days (Baht 1900), subsequently you have to leave, but can come back to start all over again.

So better get a tourist visa which allows you to stay for 60 days and can be extented just before expiry by another 30 days (Baht 1900). This gives you nearly 90 days and you are ok, as long as you do not work.

If and when you find an employer who can sponsor your work permit, you have to leave and get a non-immigrant B - Visa at a Thai embassy or consulate outside of Thailand which is inititally valid for applying the work permit inside Thailand and to extent than your stay for as long as you work.

Good luck to you. For more details have a look into

http://thaivisa.com/