Recommended Camera Shop?

Rudy47

Makro newsletter today -

Fuji Finepix900 - 9 mega pixel 2.5" screen 4 x optical 1gb Kingston - 4990B.

Tesco Lotus have similar deals.

Don't buy an overpriced second hand camera with no memory from crap convertors. :o

Soundman. :D

u get that newsletter via email in English ? dont see any such option on their homepage.... or u have to register as a member first ?

Makro newsletter today -

Fuji Finepix900 - 9 mega pixel 2.5" screen 4 x optical 1gb Kingston - 4990B.

Tesco Lotus have similar deals.

Don't buy an overpriced second hand camera with no memory from crap convertors. :o

Soundman. :D

u get that newsletter via email in English ? dont see any such option on their homepage.... or u have to register as a member first ?

Registered member. Get a monthly "makro" paper in the conventional mail.

I have found the camera I want its retailing at 11000 baht here, the same model is 170$ plus 45$ shipping in the USA which comes in at around 7650baht, my question is if its shipped by ups what tax will I be charged when it arrives from the States? Or will it just be delivered with no tax (customs) ?

I see they're selling that Canon powershot A-460 for 3,990 baht with a 1gb

card. It's certainly the low entry level model but at least it's a brand name.

I'm also looking for a starter camera and I don't need MP3 and video games

and whatever else they come bundled with. I was actually worried it may

only have a "Thai menu", need to remember to ask the sales girl that. :o

They make all that stuff over here, I never could figure out why it's often

cheaper in the states. Cars/trucks are the same deal I hear.

I see they're selling that Canon powershot A-460 for 3,990 baht with a 1gb

card. It's certainly the low entry level model but at least it's a brand name.

I'm also looking for a starter camera and I don't need MP3 and video games

and whatever else they come bundled with. I was actually worried it may

only have a "Thai menu", need to remember to ask the sales girl that. :o

They make all that stuff over here, I never could figure out why it's often

cheaper in the states. Cars/trucks are the same deal I hear.

I was the owner of that model for a few years. Something was wrong with the shutter making the outdoor photos too bright to enjoy. The warranty was over so I figured I had had my money's worth and bought something new. For 5000 you have a wide choice at Carrefour and the cam is much more pocket friendly as the Canon you mentioned is bulkier.

at the big C Mall one floor down from the movie theater on the 2nd floor camera shop to the right of the entrance.. Good cameras and if you spendover $4000 baht U get that tax refund certificate to get tax back at airport.. Also U get a warranty on the camera and can bring it back most commonly for one year!! I returned one and got the newer model for a replacement for free but sometimes it may have to be sent into a Company depend on the circimstansces.. I will shop there again & they have sales as well !!!

Rudy47, you're right of course, you get what you pay for. The camera shop inside carrefour is branch

of "photo hut" and there is another "photo hut" outside the checkouts on the same floor. "Big Camera"

seems to be the other major national chain with branches in the Big-C and Royal Garden. Defects in

workmanship and manufacture aren't only limited to digitals. I bought a lower-end film camera a year

ago and much to my chagrin, the lens was defective. (It took 3 rolls of film before I realized the fuzzy

right hand-side of my shots, wasn't just my technical ineptitude). Then, on the 2nd unit, the plastic

battery door broke, because the little latch was a 2mm piece of plastic. So now it's duct-taped shut.

I completely agree with you, I just want some sturdy thing I can stick in my shirt pocket. But researching

these digital things is really overwhelming for the first-timer. Just take the plunge I guess. :o

• 2 weeks later...

Can recommend the Samsung L730, with 7.2 MPixel, Advanced Shake Reduction, Face recognition.

Bought one at Tesco Lotus North Pattaya at 5,990 Bht, incl. free camera bag and 1 GB SD card. That's not cheaper than in Europe, but ok.

Already made a few shots and I am very satisfied.