New (renewed) Passport

hey, I've come back to the states for a holiday and have renewed my passport (gotten a new one) and now I need to know about getting my visa's moved over to it, if this is possible at all. so anyway, here's the basic info- I've got US citizenship/passport, a non-immigrant visa which is currently a student visa at payap university, and it's good until november '08, so I'd kind of like to keep the current visa if it's possible.

this normally wouldn't have even come up if the customs officer here hadn't whined about how worn out my passport is, but whatever. it's done, how do I deal with this?

thanks in advance.

You did not mention a re-entry permit so will assume you are talking about a multi entry visa issued by a Consulate that allows 90 day stays. That can not be moved to your new passport by anyone other than the Consulate that issued the visa and suspect they would not do so either. But believe it will normally be valid for use if you submit both passports and put the visa information on the arrival card.

In that case you need to transfer your permitted to stay stamp (it is not a visa) into your new passport after your return to Thailand. There is no charge but a short form and photo copies will be required. Have seen mixed reports on re-entry permit transfer so not sure what that status will be.