Monitor Calibration

The Vulcan

I wonder how many of us see the photo submissions in a different light/colour?

Accurate monitor calibration is the answer.

I use "Displaymate" - excellent programme.

Link attavhed

http://www.displaymate.com/

Maybe you have a better system of calibration you'd like to share?

Having recently succumbed to digital, and having seen the difference a properly calibrated monitor makes, I'll be running out and getting a Spyder2 some time soon (I've seen them in at least two places in Fortune Town). I think the new Spyder3 (haven't seen one here yet) may be a bit over the top for my needs.

Basically a calibrator helps to make the colors you see across various mediums (normally, the printer, the scanner, and the monitor) fairly consistent and standard. The reason that they tend to not be the same is because each medium produces and interprets colors differently, and each has different capabilities for producing the range (gamut) of colors available. The one that people are usually most concerned about is the monitor, especially if you're doing professional work. This is because you need to set your monitor to a certain display "standard", so if you send your work to your clients, they will see the same picture (colors).

To get a fairly accurate calibration, you usually need a spectrophotometer (like the one used in the Eye One) or colorimeter (like the cheaper Spyder). Both are measurement devices connected to the USB port which you hang on your monitor to read and compare color output during the calibration process. A software-only solution will help (and be better than nothing), but won't be as accurate, but of course will be much cheaper.

BTW, as far as I've seen, the price for the Spyder in Thailand is way too much.

Edited by Firefoxx

I don't feel inclined to spend $70 for a function I would only use once in a blue moon.

Are there any free tools for use with notebook screens?

An old LCD monitor that I use to have, came with a tool in the support cd and a little

plastic tag for colour comparison.

I don't feel inclined to spend $70 for a function I would only use once in a blue moon.

Are there any free tools for use with notebook screens?

An old LCD monitor that I use to have, came with a tool in the support cd and a little

plastic tag for colour comparison.

Tools to calibrate monitors used to cost thousands of pounds. Now you can buy something that seems to work for 5-6,000 baht. Yes, they're cheaper in the UK/US, but I'm here. It's something that should be done periodically (weekly/monthly). If you intend doing anything other than than taking digital pics and looking at them on your own monitor (e.g. printing them, sharing them, etc.) you don't really have a choice (as far as I can see). Of course, YMMV. (And I admit it may be a bit anal if you have a P&S, but if you're going to do something ...)

• 3 years later...

hello my friends,

was in search for spyder3express monitor calibration system.

did not buy yet as live in udon thani.

is 3990 baht http://fotofile.net/...ate.php?qid=124

send email to av camera they not have on their webpage, but responded quickly their price is 3700 baht http://www.avcamera.com/

if you know cheaper shops, especially in udon thani or khon kaen, please send pn pm to me.

greetinx michael