Royal Floral Expo- How Is It Being Used Now?

RogerL

I went there yesterday (Saturday) for the first time and was hugely impressed and depressed at the same time. What a great job they made of it! I'm really sorry I didn't make the effort to get there when the Expo was on. How long did it take them to construct it?

Most of the facility is still open and being maintained although some of the areas that must have been planted with flowers are cleared, perhaps awaiting re-stocking but who knows? Entrance is free and you can walk around or take the road train for 20bht. Other than two coach parties of Thais and a few independent visitors, the place was deserted with all but about half a dozen vendor huts unoccupied making walking around an enjoyable, if slightly eerie experience. With the exception of a couple of areas of seriously detached tiling outside the show piece King's Pavilion, they seem to be keeping it all in order but I'm sure it needs some proper income if that's to continue.

I found a member of staff who could speak passable English and quizzed him on future plans but very sadly it seems there is nothing promising in the pipeline. He told me that they (the staff, I assume) come up with ideas and present them to the "Big Boss" but mostly they're not awarded a budget. Later this month there's a one day event involving hot air balloons and weddings (don't ask) but it's a crying shame that they don't or can't market the place well enough to attract conventions and other paying customers.

I have the depressing feeling that it's going to end up like the under used 700 Year Stadium or the London Dome.

Edited by Greenside

Sorry a bit off topic, but does anyone know where I can buy a DVD of the Ratchapruk festival.

I took my parents there last year & they have been bugging me ever since to get them a copy.

But all the VDO shops I've tried (real & pirate) havnt heard of it.

Did they make one or did that slip their minds ?

Ta

Sorry a bit off topic, but does anyone know where I can buy a DVD of the Ratchapruk festival.

I took my parents there last year & they have been bugging me ever since to get them a copy.

But all the VDO shops I've tried (real & pirate) havnt heard of it.

Did they make one or did that slip their minds ?

Ta

i have it on my cd shelf, i bought at night bazaar last year. Have u tried looking there?

Wanderer,

Yes I looked at the pirate CD stands in night bazaar.

Maybe I need to look harder, can you remember where exactly you bought it ?

Ta

TA>>facing Mcdonalds ,walk to the right , I guess there are only two cd stalls on there.Keep posted anyway, i will help you find one..even in ebay.

• 5 months later...

I was there a couple of weeks ago and was really impressed. There are some beautiful gardens. Likewise the day I was there, the place was deserted except for about 15 Thai tourists. It was eerie walking around there almsot alone. My girlfriend asked what was to become of the place and she was told that "they are having problems". She was told that the monthly upkeep of the place is in the millions of Baht and that they have no income. Seems it was a project of Thaksin's or something like that, that lost the funding.

Edited by elektrified