Gas Ovens Or Cookers.

I have been searching online for a gas oven or cooker so that I can roast meats and bake cakes at home, but with very little success. Another annoying thing is that the prices are not given so I have also no idea what kind of prices these units will be. I will be living in Bangkok, so supply should not be that difficult! Can anyone recommend a reliable supplier?

Since they seem to be difficult to track down, is this type of cooking unusual in Thailand?

Depending on what you want and where you live in Bangkok you can get to a Makro (and get a temporary card) where you could buy a 3 burner stove with oven for around 7,000 baht or go to Seacon Square or the Seri centre next door and try in Homeworks or Homepro where they start around 10,000baht and go up from there. Possibly also at Centrakl stores as well.

That type of cooking is not unusual in Thailand but mostly by farangs cooking roast style dinners.

We have been here full time since 2001 and my Thai wife would never use the oven part at all so for my ocasssional use up country where I lve it would be a waste of money.

I hope that is of some use to you. :o

I have been searching online for a gas oven or cooker so that I can roast meats and bake cakes at home, but with very little success. Another annoying thing is that the prices are not given so I have also no idea what kind of prices these units will be. I will be living in Bangkok, so supply should not be that difficult! Can anyone recommend a reliable supplier?

Since they seem to be difficult to track down, is this type of cooking unusual in Thailand?

I would have to disagree with the last post.

I am just fitting a European type kitchen and have been looking long and hard for the same.

European ovens are very hard to find and very expensive (buit in unit single oven 35000 baht). If you do need one then Homepro do them. It is easy enough to get hobs though.

I ended up compromising and bought a 3 burner hob and a large microwave with buit in convection oven and grill. I used one of these in England and ended up rarely using anything else. And I love cooking!

Good luck with your search.

I would suggest you go for an Electric Oven - these are widely available in HomePro and other outlets here.

One problem with Gas ovens is that LPG used in Thailand burns at a different temperature to the Gas piped to UK homes (for example) and you will find that the Burners deteriorate quite quickly.

Patrick

Thanks for the advice, I had considered a combination microwave, but have yet to find one that bakes cakes evenly. As for the advice about LPG and gas ovens, may I suggest that you check that it has the LPG gas jet fitted, and not still got the Natural gas jet installed? That may well be why it's 'eating' the burners!

I would have to disagree with the last post.

I am just fitting a European type kitchen and have been looking long and hard for the same.

European ovens are very hard to find and very expensive (buit in unit single oven 35000 baht). If you do need one then Homepro do them. It is easy enough to get hobs though.

I ended up compromising and bought a 3 burner hob and a large microwave with buit in convection oven and grill. I used one of these in England and ended up rarely using anything else. And I love cooking!

Good luck with your search.

Just fyi. A few years ago, we lived in a place with a gas oven and we found that it didn't work as well as electric ovens we've used. So maybe it is better to go with gas for a cooktop and then a separate unit for baking & roasting.. ??

I bought one of those cheapo local versions of a gas oven with three burners 5 yrs ago and it has long lived past it's prime...in fact it didn't get over 250F since day one. i've lived and suffered with it too long and now looking for a decent stand alone gas oven with 3 or 4 burners and have so far found a couple up here in CM, but prices start at 30kbaht. electrolux looks good.

What not to buy is the sanyo or the westinghouse or whirlpool that are the local make crap that rust out and can't cook a roast, bake a chicken.

You should have many more options in the 'big mango'. let me know if you find a good one and they ship to CM??

Depending on your location you may want to consider a barbecue grill. I have one that is stainless steel with an insulated double wall lid. With both burners set on low it stays on 150 C. We don't bake a lot but when we do, this works great.

I posted a thread asking about the cheap Sanyo's a couple of years ago. Most opinion was that they are 'OK for the money'. I ended up buying one and would agree.

Here is the thread http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=69351

My oven get's plenty hot enough. It has no problem reaching 250 C as measured by a seperate quality oven thermometer. The one in the door is complete rubbish and reads about 50C higher. Heat distribution is not very even inside the oven though so when baking cookies on both racks I end up swapping them between racks half way through baking.

Sanyo-whirlpool, same-same.......low quality burners, hard to clean, bad insulation, rusts fast, no thermostat on oven control [mine reads low, med, hot] and i checked it against a real oven thermometer and the hotest it got was 250 degrees F [sorry, i'm not centigrade savy].

realistically, I only bake once a week at most and may just go for an electric oven.

good luck and let us know if you find a quality oven for decent price.....

meanwhile, does anyone up here in CM know of an electrolux dealer, other than homepro??

Our stand-alone gas/electric cooker has 3 gas hobs, 1 electric hob, oven light and rotisserie, 3 position oven tray,storage space at the bottom of the oven, it was 25k from home-pro Udon Thani, its a year old and still works well, not sure of the gas jets? oven temp dial goes to 240, it does lovely yorkshires in 20 mins, its an italian make , we are very happy with it, cheers, Lickey..

I also have a stand-alone stove/range/oven. It has an electric oven with 3 gas burners and one electric burner. As a baker, I prefer an electric oven. It maintains a more even and controlled temperature than a gas oven. Mine is an Electrolux, and cost 32,900 (but with a slight discount) just a couple months ago and I have seen very similar items at HomePro, Taifah City, and in The Mall for the same price. Overall, you get what you pay for. Mine included an oven timer and rotisserie that I doubted I would use. I find I am using both frequently. The difference between the things I made in my old microwave/convection oven and in my real oven is amazing. I am so glad we spent the money on a good stove.

I also have a stand-alone stove/range/oven. It has an electric oven with 3 gas burners and one electric burner. As a baker, I prefer an electric oven. It maintains a more even and controlled temperature than a gas oven. Mine is an Electrolux, and cost 32,900 (but with a slight discount) just a couple months ago and I have seen very similar items at HomePro, Taifah City, and in The Mall for the same price. Overall, you get what you pay for. Mine included an oven timer and rotisserie that I doubted I would use. I find I am using both frequently. The difference between the things I made in my old microwave/convection oven and in my real oven is amazing. I am so glad we spent the money on a good stove.

Amen to that. Definately an electric oven, much more even. Gas hobs though, far more control.

Bon Appettito