Bringing Gifts From Usa

chrissimone

Hi, I am coming to LOS in 3 days, and plan on bringing in 2 new watches, 2 old watches to repair, 1 carton duty free cigs, and about 15 coloring books,some crayons,pencils,some nuts, and candy, ect. All the new items total about $250.00 USD. The 2 old watches were expensive when I bought them, 20 years ago, and are both made of gold, so probably worth $2,000. Do you think I need to declare these?

Also, I would like to bring in a liter of whiskey, can I buy this duty free on the plane and bring it to Bangkok in my carry on? or do I need to buy here and check in baggage. Is Johny waker even cheaper here in the US?

Thanks for any replies on my minor problems, I just don't want any problems at customs. Thanks in advance,Chris.

I would spread those 2 expensive watches - one on the arm under the sleave and the other in the trausers pocket. The new watches one in the hand luggage and the other in the hold luggage.

thai customs do x-ray luggages at random - if you look calm and decent and you don't have a hugely oversized luggage they will let you through. Walk fast, don't slow down by the machines when somebody else is being checked, just walk around them. From time to time they do screan all the luggages - that's why the expensive stuff you should wear on yourself.

OK, Thanks for the Info. But, I would like to be completely legal, I don't really need to take the gold watches,they haven't worked in years, and not sure if I can find a repair shop there. But I wpould like to take the gifts. I looked again and their value is more like $350.00USD.

Once again I really don't want any delays at customs.

I wouldn't declare any of that.

Also, the watches are being brought for repair, they are not functioning and they are not what Thais would call real gold.. So even in the very unlikely event of being questioned about them, you simply state you bring them for repair, which indeed is excellent value in Thailand.

The new watches are gifts, forget about the crayons and candy, just add the total worth of those two new watches and if it's over the maximum amount as stated on the customs card then declare it, otherwise don't.

Just wear one of the watches you're bringing for repair.

Johnny walker is on every street corner here, bring something a little unusual like a nice Canadian whiskey, Canadian Club 12 year in the duty free shop is sure to please!

Edited by tuffy

Hi, I am coming to LOS in 3 days, and plan on bringing in 2 new watches, 2 old watches to repair, 1 carton duty free cigs, and about 15 coloring books,some crayons,pencils,some nuts, and candy, ect. All the new items total about $250.00 USD. The 2 old watches were expensive when I bought them, 20 years ago, and are both made of gold, so probably worth $2,000. Do you think I need to declare these?

Also, I would like to bring in a liter of whiskey, can I buy this duty free on the plane and bring it to Bangkok in my carry on? or do I need to buy here and check in baggage. Is Johny waker even cheaper here in the US?

Thanks for any replies on my minor problems, I just don't want any problems at customs. Thanks in advance,Chris.