Grafting Avocodas Trees

DonaldBattles

I need information help in grafting young avocada trees with limbs from producting trees. I am told that if you plant from seeds and do not graft a limb from a producing tree that the production is poor and not dependable. If anyone has information on this it would be appreciated. I also need to acquire small limbs from producing trees. I have about 30 trees that are 1.5 years old.

Don

Wiki reports.

Propagation and rootstocks

While an avocado propagated by seed can bear fruit, it takes roughly 4–6 years to do so, and the offspring is unlikely to resemble the parent cultivar in fruit quality. Thus, commercial orchards are planted using grafted trees and rootstocks. Rootstocks are propagated by seed (seedling rootstocks) and also layering (clonal rootstocks). After about a year of growing the young plants in a greenhouse, they are ready to be grafted. Terminal and lateral grafting is normally used. The scion cultivar will then grow for another 6–12 months before the tree is ready to be sold. Clonal rootstocks have been selected for specific soil and disease conditions, such as poor soil aeration or resistance to the soil-borne disease caused by phytophthora, root rot.

Avacado

I need information help in grafting young avocada trees with limbs from producting trees. I am told that if you plant from seeds and do not graft a limb from a producing tree that the production is poor and not dependable. If anyone has information on this it would be appreciated. I also need to acquire small limbs from producing trees. I have about 30 trees that are 1.5 years old.

Don

Don I would have thought it too cold to grow Avacodo with much success in Chiang Rai.

CB

• 2 weeks later...

I have around 60 avo trees - all started from seed. And yes, I'm taking a chance that most of them will yield good quality fruits. The trees are growing strong, and I prune heavily in order to get them to spread wide and bushy, rather than grow too tall too fast. I started planting 7 years ago and some are starting to flower for the first time. They produce female flowers on one day and the same flowers turn in to male (pollen producing) on the following day - so as to avoid self pollination. It's best to plant different types near each other in order get better pollination, therefore more fruit.

I look forward to seeing which trees produce the best fruit. I wish I'd had branches for high quality scions (pronounced sy-ons) but there are scant few avo trees in the C.Rai area. There's extensive mention of growing avos in northernmost Thailand in the book FARMSTEADING IN THAILAND (at Asia Books stores and the bookstore across from Wiang Inn hotel) .

I've tried getting cuttings to root - but haven't got it to work for me - though have had moderate success with grafting.

I will keep looking for producing trees that I can graft as it seems like it may not be worth the effort to grow and take care if the production is low and quality is low.

Will pass the word when I find trees that I can get cuttings for grafting. These trees grow very large and the land they are on will have to be dedicated.

Doi Kham staff have promised help but so far none has come. Because I process and sell the pulp I have a lot of seeds that I have given them. Currently all of my fruit comes from a broker in Chiang Mai. Shipping to Bangkok and processing waste a lot of shipping cost. Would be better to process where the fruit is.

Thanks.

Don