Western Union Transfers

just had my fiance on the phone today. and she has asked me to send 20,000 baht to her via WESTERN UNION. (20,000 baht is to help her parents pay for the restaraunt party after our wedding) She told me I just have to give western union her name and address and they will put it in her bank. How can they transfer this to her account if I dont provide her account details?? Is it legit, and is this how it works?

She's not correct. When you send her the money she must go to the nearest Western Union office and claim the money. You need to give Western Union her name exactly as it shows on her Thai ID card. You must also give her your full name as it appears on your Western Union fund transfer form because they will ask her for that also.

There are a number of ways you can transfer money electronically and your home bank should be able to help you out on this one. I used to transfer money from my UK bank, RBOS, to my missus' account just by filling out a simple form. Still costs though but I don't know about today's on-line banking systems. Years back Thai banks used to play the sitting game where they received the money but claimed not to have so they could gain the interest on it. Western Union overcomes that so once you have MTCN and advise her of it she can get the cash instantly. Jus make sure all the details you put on the form are identical to the details she will present on collection. Charges are, IMO, negigible and around 1% from experience but that was from Malaysia.

It might be correct, since some banks are Western Union agents and people having an account with that bank, and receiving money through WU can have the money credited to their bank account. To make a WU transfer you only need the name and address of the recipient (sometimes, for an added level of security they ask for the "secret question") - the WU office/agent will give you a reference number and you give that to the recipient. The recipient gives the reference number, name and address to the WUI agent on their side and the money is available almostt immediately. However fees with WU can be quite high, and you will may also only get the offshore rate of exchange. So overall it is not a great way to transfer money, unless time is of the essence.

However fees with WU can be quite high, and you will may also only get the offshore rate of exchange. So overall it is not a great way to transfer money, unless time is of the essence.

Exactly right- fees are about 10%. The only benefit is that the funds are available immediately, instead of waiting for a few days on a conventional bank telegraphic transfer.

I have used Western Union once while in NZ to send money to my bf in Thailand. I sent $550, and it costed me $60. Decided never to use it ever ever ever again.

But if you want to know how I did, it's actually quite simple.

You got to a Western Union branch, and you find a form or ask for one, which allows you to send money to your lady.

You'll need to write her full name on it, exactly as it is written on whatever ID card she wishes to produce (either Passport, National ID Card etc...).

If my memory serves me correctly, you're also able to provide a 'pin number' or some sort of 'keyword' instead of her producing any ID (if she lost her ID or can't find etc..). I can't quite remember, but you'll be able to sort that one out once you've received the form to fill in.

She too will also have to verify some information about you.

Not so sure exactly on the how WU can credit her account. Certainly, it would be fishy if they say they can do this, when, in actual fact they dont have that sort of details.

The funds should be available within a few minutes, for her to withdraw.

I did it a few times from the UK. £27 flat fee (2yrs ago), and cash available immediately. I did it online, you need to set up an account with them. An international bank transfer will cost you between £15 and £30 depending on how quick you want it sent. For simplicity and speed it is unbeatable, but not the cheapest option. Make sure you send the amount in sterling, and you will get the onshore rate.

Get her bank account details and then go to your local bank and ask them to do a SWIFT transfer.

Cost will be about 20 - 30 pounds, but probably cheaper than WU. Expect funds to

be in your G/F's account in about three working days.

I think the lady is not well versed in international transfers.

Naka.

Get her bank account details and then go to your local bank and ask them to do a SWIFT transfer.

Cost will be about 20 - 30 pounds, but probably cheaper than WU. Expect funds to

Naka.

I agree

Western Union rates are expensive and their exchange rate is exceptionally poor..SWIFT will be a far better option, transfer in stirling so she gets the on shore rate

Edited by Tafia

I would suggest setting up an account online and see for yourself what the charge and exchange rate will be - compare this with your bank. You don't have to go through with the transaction if you don't like it.

I have been using Western Union for almost a year and although I don't like the charges (probably paid about $500 all up in service fees so far), my bank would charge me about the same amount and would take several days where as WU is instant. I find the fee charged doesn't increase much with the value, so less frequent bigger transactions will save you money in the long run (assuming it doesn't get spent quciker :o - fortunately my GF is more frugal than me!)

On the exchange rate things may be different in the UK but I have no complaints from Australia. The international rate has been around 26 bhat to the $au for some time, yet 4 days ago (10 Jan) I sent my GF some cash and got 28.2 which must be the onshore rate (got 22 in Melbourne airport 1.5 weeks ago).

A thought I've had (but haven't fully investigated yet) is to hunt around for a credit card (or Visa debit card perhaps) which is friendly for withdrawing cash in Thailand and giving your GF this. You stick cash on it and she takes it out. Probably won't help you this time, but food for thought. I seem to remember paying only a few dollars for 10000 baht cash advances last time I was there. Pay it off in full quickly as interest is charged immediately.

just had my fiance on the phone today. and she has asked me to send 20,000 baht to her via WESTERN UNION. (20,000 baht is to help her parents pay for the restaraunt party after our wedding) She told me I just have to give western union her name and address and they will put it in her bank. How can they transfer this to her account if I dont provide her account details?? Is it legit, and is this how it works?
They will not put it in a bank, she will have to go to a WU and show id for collection,.

Maybe her bank has a western union facility, ? ours does

Naka.

I agree

Western Union rates are expensive and their exchange rate is exceptionally poor..SWIFT will be a far better option, transfer in stirling so she gets the on shore rate

Agreed ,WU for emergencies only,.

She's not correct. When you send her the money she must go to the nearest Western Union office and claim the money. You need to give Western Union her name exactly as it shows on her Thai ID card. You must also give her your full name as it appears on your Western Union fund transfer form because they will ask her for that also.

If you provide the MTCN number then any name in any location within the destination country without ID can collect...

This is how the bulk of western union fraud is performed.

On the exchange rate things may be different in the UK but I have no complaints from Australia. The international rate has been around 26 bhat to the $au for some time, yet 4 days ago (10 Jan) I sent my GF some cash and got 28.2 which must be the onshore rate (got 22 in Melbourne airport 1.5 weeks ago).

A swift transfer of AUD on 10 January would have received 29.1675 as the exchange rate at Bangkok Bank.