Crackdown On Smoking At Pubs, Enteratinment Venues

george

As per my not to long ago post the police have stop watching politics and will focus on us now. I have it from a very reliable source that the police have restarted drug tests at clubs and bars. Nana Plaza was on the list last night with at least 1 bar submitting to police drug tests.

I think this is significant in that the last time I can recall this type of activity was before July 2006. It reflects that they feel there is closure in the political issues. I guess the party is over and we can expect crackdowns all over again. So yes I guess they will be in checking the bars for smokers.

:o

Pls clarify what you mean by "us"

'Us' being anyone who is not the police or a politician.

I heard you can cure a number of illness. Apparently paranoia is not one of them.

Get real, Thailand is very fair place for foreigner and I don't see it changing overnight. And if they can clear the place from some foreign trouble makers, life can only get better for all of "us".

I don't know about you but I see the police like little kids on an Easter egg hunt with this one. Easy money, just find an ashtray.

Everywhere the same.

A couple of years ago in Hong Kong, there were this new law, $5,000 fine for loitering. I was smoking in the street when I noticed a cop following me around. I can tell you, he was so disapointed when I finally found an ashtray where to get rid of my cigarette butt.

An other time, same story in China, only this time I didn't see them on time. I was not the only one smoking but the only foreigner ... and the only one who got fined.

Tourist = easy money. The equation is true all over the world.

By the way, for people who want to stop smoking, I strongly recommend a small book from Alan Carr "The Easy Way To Stop Smoking". It really works, all the people who read it stopped smoking. I was smoking since I was 16, 1 - 2 packs a day. I read it four years ago, never touch a cigarette since.

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As per my not to long ago post the police have stop watching politics and will focus on us now. I have it from a very reliable source that the police have restarted drug tests at clubs and bars. Nana Plaza was on the list last night with at least 1 bar submitting to police drug tests.

I think this is significant in that the last time I can recall this type of activity was before July 2006. It reflects that they feel there is closure in the political issues. I guess the party is over and we can expect crackdowns all over again. So yes I guess they will be in checking the bars for smokers.

:o

Pls clarify what you mean by "us"

'Us' being anyone who is not the police or a politician.

I heard you can cure a number of illness. Apparently paranoia is not one of them.

Get real, Thailand is very fair place for foreigner and I don't see it changing overnight. And if they can clear the place from some foreign trouble makers, life can only get better for all of "us".

I don't know about you but I see the police like little kids on an Easter egg hunt with this one. Easy money, just find an ashtray.

Everywhere the same.

A couple of years ago in Hong Kong, there were this new law, $5,000 fine for loitering. I was smoking in the street when I noticed a cop following me around. I can tell you, he was so disapointed when I finally found an ashtray where to get rid of my cigarette butt.

An other time, same story in China, only this time I didn't see them on time. I was not the only one smoking but the only foreigner ... and the only one who got fined.

Tourist = easy money. The equation is true all over the world.

By the way, for people who want to stop smoking, I strongly recommend a small book from Alan Carr "The Easy Way To Stop Smoking". It really works, all the people who read it stopped smoking. I was smoking since I was 16, 1 - 2 packs a day. I read it four years ago, never touch a cigarette since.

Yes the Allan Carr book is quite well known in the Uk. I believe he stipulates that you must finish the book to benefit. The trouble is he doesn't tel you to not smoke furiously whilst reading it. I must have got through a 20 pack and, by the end of the book felt quite nauseous.

Seems to work for some folk though not for me and a fewe others I know. Maybe you have to want to give up, and then read it. Also, there aren't many jokes.

pip pip

I don't smoke, but in bars i would think it is not really practical. Maybe better to 'declare' a bar smoking or non-smoking and let the people choose.

On the other hand, it is a nice new moneymaker for the law enforcement mafia, eh i mean police.

All over Europe smokers and bar owners where whining the same song but it turned out that they're as busy as ever, and now everyone can breathe and go home after a night out without stinking like an ashtray. Of course the smokers have to go outside for their fix but hey, isn't that fair? They're the problem...

(And while I do have a car it's not a gas guzzler and anyway I mostly take my bike around due to traffic :o)

Edited by Phil Conners

Not sure if you get out very often, but in Pattaya the drug tests have continued unabated over the last 2 years, and I am sure they would have in Nana.

To suggest that the police are suddenly going to change their behaviour due to the political situation sounds either sensationalist or paranoid to me.

NON-SMOKER'S OF BANGKOK KEEP SUCKING IN THOSE TUK-TUK FUMES YOU ARE ALL LIVING VERY (lung!) HEALTHY LIVES.

Bang on! It's amazing how many people have got their priorities wrong. Air pollution is a much bigger issue.

JK, my guess is it's only you and a few others that actually find cigarettes disgusting. Most people just don't want to be around cigarette smoke that's all - and that's fair enough too. If even the sight of an astray gets you going, my guess is you've got a big problem.

I think you have misunderstood what I meant. What I am saying is finding a dirty ashtray is about all it will take to get the venue fined 20,000 even if the smoker has left. The police don’t have to see the person smoking, only the evidence that there was smoking.

The site of an ashtray does not bother me but I do recognize it as a trigger and an invitation to smoke for smokers. It reminds them they are smokers and that it is OK to smoke.

Not sure if you get out very often, but in Pattaya the drug tests have continued unabated over the last 2 years, and I am sure they would have in Nana.

To suggest that the police are suddenly going to change their behaviour due to the political situation sounds either sensationalist or paranoid to me.

You could be right, but usually that would be covered in one of the nightlife columns. I guess we shall see if Stickman covers it Sunday in his column.

I don't smoke, but in bars i would think it is not really practical. Maybe better to 'declare' a bar smoking or non-smoking and let the people choose.

On the other hand, it is a nice new moneymaker for the law enforcement mafia, eh i mean police.

All over Europe smokers and bar owners where whining the same song but it turned out that they're as busy as ever, and now everyone can breathe and go home after a night out without stinking like an ashtray. Of course the smokers have to go outside for their fix but hey, isn't that fair? They're the problem...

(And while I do have a car it's not a gas guzzler and anyway I mostly take my bike around due to traffic :D )

I see how you get around your own responsibilities by saying you only use the car now and then, and hey "it's not a gas guzzler". I think you'd be surprised just how much misery you are causing people. I'm only an occasional smoker, low tar too, so that doesn't matter either then :o .

Amen to that Moldy.

Anyone got, or can be bothered to get, the stats on car emissions over, say, a 10 km school trip in town and work out how many cigarettes it equals? Can't be bothered myself 'cos I'm too busy smokin' and drinking. But, it might (emphasis on "might") be interesting.

Let's say a 3 litre engine, Diesel or petrol, same same. mostly in 1st or 2nd gear for about an hour, given BKK traffic. Is that totally unreasonable??????

I'll not even get into the "Police controlling truck emissions" debate.

But will if pressed.

Hasta la vista..... if you can see it througfh the smog.

pip pip

I assume he's referring to the rat shit. And, that it should be eaten rather than complained about.

Or...he means that tobacco is "rat shit" and that we should eat it rather than smoke it.

Unless of course he intends suggesting you should run your cars on it, tobacco, that is.

Or is he just a tad under the weather, due of course to the pollution.

Hubba Hubba

How long will it last. I wonder??? My guess is it will be enforce when ever the power that be need a little spend money around Holiday time. Farangs main target, BEWARE all. :D:D:o

I think you've hit the cigarette on the butt. When the coffers are low the coughers will get hit.

As a non smoker I really think this is great news, obviously smokers just do not realize just how unpleasant smoking can be to others, my mother suffers from a chronic lung disease and anybody smoking near by can trigger a severe coughing fit.

My mother came to Thailand a few years ago, it was near impossible to find a non smoking restaurant, and those that claimed to be still allowed customers to light up, they just ignored our complaints.

Living here in the UK I have notice how much more enjoyable eating out has became since the smoking ban has come into force.

On my last visit to Thailand I went to a Swiss Restaurant in Pattaya, inside there were "No Smoking" signs, but guess what the waiters did when customers light up? yes, they put an ash tray on the table.

I do hope there will be published phone numbers where we can report establishments that flout the law.

BB

As a non smoker I really think this is great news, obviously smokers just do not realize just how unpleasant smoking can be to others, my mother suffers from a chronic lung disease and anybody smoking near by can trigger a severe coughing fit.

My mother came to Thailand a few years ago, it was near impossible to find a non smoking restaurant, and those that claimed to be still allowed customers to light up, they just ignored our complaints.

Living here in the UK I have notice how much more enjoyable eating out has became since the smoking ban has come into force.

On my last visit to Thailand I went to a Swiss Restaurant in Pattaya, inside there were "No Smoking" signs, but guess what the waiters did when customers light up? yes, they put an ash tray on the table.

I do hope there will be published phone numbers where we can report establishments that flout the law.

BB

BB, I'm a smoker, and I'm not going to argue you your sound reasoning at all. I hope your mother benefits greatly from the new law too. Surely nobody can find fault with this posting.

The side issue (and I accept it is a side issue) is about other forms of pollution. You see what applies to your mum also applies to many others regarding air pollution. May I ask whether you drive, and if so how you can reconcile this?

BB

BB, I'm a smoker, and I'm not going to argue you your sound reasoning at all. I hope your mother benefits greatly from the new law too. Surely nobody can find fault with this posting.

The side issue (and I accept it is a side issue) is about other forms of pollution. You see what applies to your mum also applies to many others regarding air pollution. May I ask whether you drive, and if so how you can reconcile this?

Q. May I ask whether you drive, and if so how you can reconcile this?

A. Yes, requirements of my job.

I have a company car that I selected on the basis of it being the lowest CO2 emission suitable for my requirements.

I also believe had the UK and other governments not gone to war in the middle east to secure cheep oil, and had the cost of such enterprises gone in to developing alternative fuels we would soon be driving around in hydrogen vehicles, virtually zero pollution.

BB

BB

Q. May I ask whether you drive, and if so how you can reconcile this?

A. Yes, requirements of my job.

I have a company car that I selected on the basis of it being the lowest CO2 emission suitable for my requirements.

I also believe had the UK and other governments not gone to war in the middle east to secure cheep oil, and had the cost of such enterprises gone in to developing alternative fuels we would soon be driving around in hydrogen vehicles, virtually zero pollution.

BB

BB. As I mentioned before this side issue doesn't effect the smoking argument particularly with regard to your mother. Law or not, this should be a basic matter of human respect.

I for one appreciate your honesty regarding car usage. There is a basic dilemma here for all of us I guess, after all I use public transport and fly occasionally too. My contention is that car usage needs to be reduced by 50% as a figure plucked out the air, trouble is nobody wants to be part of the 50% that loses out.

I understand acetylcysteine (a non prescription natural drug) may be of use for chronic lung disease sufferers. Also, I'm sure you have the angle covered, but your mother needs vaccinations, flu jabs, etc. I don't know if TB can be prevented? if so this too.

I have enjoyed the debate...but it has been somewhat hijacked by diversionary tactics.

Bottom line is that I don't like cigarette smoke and don't see why a person should make me suffer because of their addiction. Drug addicts will always defend their addiction of choice.

The "personal choice" argument is old and tired.

The "you have the choice not to go in that bar" is weak.

The "vehicle diversion and global pollution" attempt deserves it's own thread, and I will support that effort.

The "reports suggest smoking is not bad for you" is just ignorant.

Smokers will always say they are considerate, but it only takes one smoker to pollute a room.

I work with a bunch of smokers who will disappear 5-8 times a day for 10-15 minutes to smoke. The time suck is painful enough, but they really don't appreciate how bad they smell. I now hire only non smokers.

It's a matter of respecting other people, and any rationalization that smokers can come up with to justify making other people breathe their smoke is just disrespecting other people. Simple as that.

I have enjoyed the debate...but it has been somewhat hijacked by diversionary tactics.

Bottom line is that I don't like cigarette smoke and don't see why a person should make me suffer because of their addiction. Drug addicts will always defend their addiction of choice.

The "vehicle diversion and global pollution" attempt deserves it's own thread, and I will support that effort.

Smokers will always say they are considerate, but it only takes one smoker to pollute a room.

I work with a bunch of smokers who will disappear 5-8 times a day for 10-15 minutes to smoke. The time suck is painful enough, but they really don't appreciate how bad they smell. I now hire only non smokers.

It's a matter of respecting other people, and any rationalization that smokers can come up with to justify making other people breathe their smoke is just disrespecting other people. Simple as that.

Very good post, I am forced to work with smokers and it is disgusting their lack of regard for the health of others, their weekness that results in their habit will be the downfall of them but they should not inflict that on others in the workplace or in pubs and bars. Bring on the ban.

Very good post, I am forced to work with smokers and it is disgusting their lack of regard for the health of others, their weekness that results in their habit will be the downfall of them but they should not inflict that on others in the workplace or in pubs and bars. Bring on the ban.

As a smoker (probably looking to stop) I'd worked in that people deserved not to be subject to my habit, I hadn't realised how strongly people felt when not subject to the habit in any meaningful way. I'm a little puzzled by this. I mean does the smell of smoke make you want to puke for instance? Is this how all non smokers feel?

You could be right, but usually that would be covered in one of the nightlife columns. I guess we shall see if Stickman covers it Sunday in his column.

I think I have been vindicated

The below quote is from Today's Stickman.

Spanky's staff were dong the pee in the cup thing with the boys in brown this past Friday. Never a bad thing to test the girls for drugs, in my opinion. I truly believe that drugs, particularly methamphetamines, are the bane of the 21st century, the root of so many crimes.

And with that in mind, we should be aware that with the election behind us, the police will be looking in new directions. Expect more drug testing and a crackdown on smoking in bars (from February 11).

I think I have been vindicated

The below quote is from Today's Stickman.

Spanky's staff were dong the pee in the cup thing with the boys in brown this past Friday. Never a bad thing to test the girls for drugs, in my opinion. I truly believe that drugs, particularly methamphetamines, are the bane of the 21st century, the root of so many crimes.

And with that in mind, we should be aware that with the election behind us, the police will be looking in new directions. Expect more drug testing and a crackdown on smoking in bars (from February 11).

Regarding smoking, this is a prediction JK it's not fact yet, but I agree where there is a few juicy bt to be earned your stance seems rock solid.

Surely they'll have to catch people in the act so to speak. After all taking amphetamines is a crime full stop, smoking outside of designated areas isn't. The mind boggles!!! I wonder if the smell of smoke in the air, plus a packet of cigs,. in the pocket will result in anybody being 2000bt the lighter.