Retirement In Ne Thailand

Mikey7

Next week I will be coming to Thailand to retire. I am not interested in the hassles of BK or Phucket or Pattaya but still like some nite life and don't want to get bored after the first two weeks. Can any of you rate Khon Kaen versus Nong Khai based on quality of life and cost of living ?

thanks

KhonKaen is my choice, it has everything you need there.

You dont need to live in the city, there are many villiages around the place, so you can have the quiet life as well as all mod cons.

Nhon Khai is a lot smaller and a lot quieter in comparisin.

Spend a bit of time in both before making your mind up.

Thanks Bronco, looks like you are the only one with an opinion on this L. Gonna follow your advice and spend a couple weeks in each befor deciding. One more question tho. Living outside Khonkaen is it necessary to have your own transport or is there adequate local for going to the city?

To me that would be an easy choice.

Nong Khai wins hands down. My Issaan favourite.

Much nicer layout and situated right on the river bank.

Generally a much more laidback atmosphere IMO and the climate is also a tad better due to the breezes blowing in from the river.

Overall living expenses I don`t think differ much, but both NK and KK give great value for your buck.

KK is much larger with it`s own Uni, Museum, a couple of gogos etc.

But I really don`t appreciate KK.

NK has a steady flow of farangs, either staying a couple of days in the area and taking in the sight, or on a stopover to and from Laos.

I also like this aspect of NK.

Cheers

Michael

Forgot to mention.

I recall reading a US survey concluded that little known NK was on the top 5 list of places ideal for retiring to. In terms of security, overall living expenses, climate, health etc.

I you do a search on the net, you may dig it up.

Haven`t got the link anymore.

Cheers

Michael

There is a really good public transport system in and around KK that operates during the daytime but shuts down at about 1900 or 2000 during the week and earlier on the weekends. There are also Tuk Tuks and we have a house about 12k out of town and tjhats about 100 baht (negotiate of course).

Have gotta agree NK is a nice place, but to live there isn't my cup of tea, up to you.

Dont you think about Udonthani? Udonthani is between NOngkhai and Khonkaen.. Udonthani is big city and also have everything same as in Khonkaen.. Nongkhai is also nice place to live.. but I think that Udonthani is the best..

I was born in Udonthani. I study in Udonthani,NOngkhai and Khonkaen.. I worked in bkk.. but finally I back to Udonthani cause it is my favorite city to live..

Have you ever been here?

I can be your guide to tell you about Udonthani and Northeast..

I'm thai, I think that I know more about Thailand.

but it is up to you, you can choose the best for your life.

If you are coming to retire, keep in mind that after a while you will be looking for things to do, maybe a hobby.

In my eyes Khon Kaen is a better bet than N.K. It is easier to find things you need, be they Thai or Western items. There is a thriving shopping area in the centre of town, a Tesco Lotus, Big C and within 2 years there will be a Central department store and a version of The Mall which will even have a DIY store in it. There is a large lake in the town surrounded by many good eating places. There are plenty of bars both Thai& Western, hotels from 2X to 5X. There is also an Expat club that meets once a month whose members can help with any quiries or problems. There is quite a lot to do in the surrounding area. Hope this helps you.

Can't understand what you people find in Udonthani,I'm living in Udontwo years already,it's cheap,yes,but no more than other places and it has not the charm of

NongKhai or the city feeling of KhonKaen.

My wife is working since many years in Udon,and don't want to ask for a transfer to NongKhai,but I would like it. :o

Well folks I just arrived in Nong Khai. It certainly seems to be a very pleasant town. From first impressions a person could retire here quite comfortably. The operative word is Retire L. Streets roll up early herebut other than that its a great place to be so far. I will be coming to Khon Kaen to look around in a couple weeks.

Whereever I decide to land it is wonderful to be back in the LOS. Talk to you all later. Gotta go prowl around a bit.

We have a house half way between Nongkai and Udornthani so we visit both but I do find that Nongkai feels too small.

After a while you get to feel that you have done it to death.

Udornthani has much more of a feel of a place that you can continually explore and find new things.

What it actually comes down to is what YOU really want out of your retirement.

RENT don’t buy until you find the place that feels like home.

When you can stand at your front door, look out and think,

GOD I LOVE THIS PLACE.

Then you will be where you belong.

Good luck. :o

Edd

WWell, it didn't take me long to decide. I fell in love with Nong Khai. I agree it would be a bit slow for many but I think its awesome. So nice and laid back. I can roam the streets at any hour without feeling threatened the weather is great and the cost of living is insanely low. I think I have found home. If you come this way stop off at the Danish Baker or the Meetinng place and I'll buy you a beer. Happy days in LOS

• 4 years later...