Tennis: Who Will Be #2?

Who's #2?  

22 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No. 98 Fish Upsets Top Ranked Federer; Djokovic defeats Nadal

INDIAN WELLS, Calif. (AP)—Roger Federer lost again, this time in one of the biggest tennis upsets in memory.

Mardy Fish, an American ranked 98th, shocked No. 1 Federer in straight sets Saturday, with the lopsided score—6-3, 6-2—making it even more of a stunner.

Fish, who pulled off by far the biggest of his upsets he's strung together this week in the Pacific Life Open, moved into Sunday's final against No. 3 Novak Djokovic, who ousted defending champion Rafael Nadal by the same score.

Federer, the Swiss star who has seemed almost invincible most of the past five years, has looked vulnerable so far this season.

He hasn't reached a final and has lost three times, including defeats by eventual champion Djokovic in the Australian Open semifinals, and by Andy Murray this month in the first round at Dubai.

The 26-year-old Federer, who was slowed by mononucleosis early in the season, doesn't seem overly concerned.

He breezed through his first three matches at Indian Wells without losing a set, then had a walkover in the quarterfinals when Tommy Haas withdrew because of a sinus infection.

"Today it's hard to judge, because Mardy took everything on the rise; not many rallies out there," said Federer, a three-time champion in the desert tournament. "But all in all, I'm happy with the way the week (went) for me. Obviously, the walkover is sort of an awkward situation, but you have to take them when they come around.

"So semifinals to start off with at the first Masters Series is a good thing, and I hope I can go from here and win in Miami, and on to clay."

Federer said the unexpected day off when Haas pulled out Friday may have thrown him a bit off his rhythm, but said Fish simply played "incredibly."

"When he wanted to attack, everything worked," Federer said. "He would never miss, really, when I needed a miss once in a while."

He said it's impossible to not lose such matches occasionally, adding: "I'm surprised myself that it hasn't happened more in the last five years. You always think one guy can outright dominate you on any given day.

"People weren't able to do it against me, so that speaks for itself. But today, Mardy was really impossible to beat, it almost looked like."

Fish, also 26, ended Federer's 41-match win streak against Americans dating to a 2003 loss to Andy Roddick, and beat him for the first time in their six meetings.

"This obviously wasn't Roger's best day, but hopefully I had a little something to do with that. I put the pressure, extremely, on him from the word go," said Fish, who jumped out to a 3-0 lead in the first set and remained in control the rest of the way.

Asked if he could recall another upset in tennis to equal it, Fish smiled and said, "I don't think I'm that bad."

In a career interrupted by various injuries, he reached his highest ranking, No. 17, four years ago.

Federer looked like just another player Saturday, with his backhand especially mediocre. He managed just one winner and had 13 unforced errors with his backhand. Fish kept constant pressure on him, serving seven aces to Federer's two, and peppering the lines with hard groundstrokes. He hit 26 winners to Federer's 14 in defeating him for the first time in six career meetings.

Fish, who had never beaten as many as two top 10 players in one tournament, defeated three at Indian Wells. He downed No. 4 Nikolay Davydenko and No. 7 David Nalbandian, as well as No. 24 Lleyton Hewitt, before beating Federer.

Australian Open champion Djokovic, ranked No. 3 to Nadal's No. 2, avenged last year's loss to the Spaniard in the Indian Wells final.

The 20-year-old Serb served eight aces to two by Nadal, and hit 20 winners to the Spaniard's 11.

The match included several long, spectacular rallies when each dashed around the court making difficult returns. More often than not, Djokovic would end those rallies by driving a winner down the lines, or Nadal would finally miss a shot.

"I had more mistakes than usual," Nadal said. "I feel a little bit tired from the last two matches. If you play against a player like Novak, you have to play 100 percent if you want to win.

"He's a very complete player—very good serve, very good backhand, very good forehand. He moves fast and well. He has very good position on the court."

Djokovic said he's trying to take his fast start to the season in stride.

"I need to stay calm and just go step by step and try to get to my lifetime goal, which is to be No. 1," he said. "It's getting closer, but still, I don't want to go too fast and skip some things. I really need to be consistent with my results in the most important events, major events.

"I started the year in the best possible way, but it's not over yet."

In Sunday's women's final, Ana Ivanovic will face Svetlana Kuznetsova.

• 1 month later...

Federer Survives Scare in Monte Carlo

Roger Federer was two points from an embarrassing exit from the Monte Carlo Masters before rallying to beat Spanish qualifier Ruben Ramirez Hidalgo 6-1 3-6 7-6(1) to reach the third round.

The world number one, who failed to retain his Australian Open crown earlier this year, was 5-4 and 30-15 down in the third set before his opponent, ranked 137th by the ATP, crumbled under the pressure.

Federer had already recovered from being 5-1 down after a string of unforced errors brought him to the brink of defeat.

He eventually won the tiebreak 7-1, wrapping it up after two hours and three minutes on his first match point when Ramirez Hidalgo sent a forehand wide.

Federer next meets Frenchman Gael Monfils, who beat Croatia's Ivo Karlovic 7-6(8) 6-1.

"I am happy to be through this difficult round," Federer said in a courtside interview.

"I lost the rhythm and I needed a bit of luck to come back into the match."

There was no scare for Spanish fifth seed David Ferrer, who eased past former world number one Marat Safin 6-2 6-3 to set up a third-round encounter with Serb Janko Tipsarevic, a 5-7 7-6(5) 6-4 winner over Ecuador's Nicolas Lapentti.

Safin's compatriot Nikolay Davydenko, seeded fourth, held off a late challenge by Italian Simone Bolelli to go through with a 6-2 7-6(5) win.

"I practised for two hours yesterday and I was OK," said Davydenko, who retired from last week's Estoril Open final against Federer with a leg injury.

"I have a physiotherapist who is giving me treatment here. My legs are okay."

On centre court, Federer started brightly, hitting 14 winners to take a one-sided first set in 31 minutes.

But Ramirez Hidalgo broke in the second game of the second set and opened up a 3-0 lead.

A nervous Federer then shrugged off two more break points but made 23 unforced errors and was trapped into a decider.

The Swiss dropped serve in the first game when he netted an easy volley and was 4-0 down after his opponent converted the second of his three break points.

Ramirez Hidalgo was caught out by the pressure and Federer rolled on despite having made 55 unforced errors.

Federer, a 12-time Grand Slam winner, who has not had a coach since splitting with Tony Roche in May, has hired Spaniard Jose Higueras to improve his claycourt game.

Edited by mauiguy90

Federer, Rafa on Collision Course

Rafael Nadal closed in on Monte Carlo Masters history today while Roger Federer confidently buried his previous day's heart-stopping brush with humiliation to move into the quarter-finals.

But third seeded Serb Novak Djokovic, the 20-year-old Australian Open champion, served up a 6-0 6-4 demolition of Britain's Andy Murray to hammer out a devastating indication of his claim to the trophy.

Second seed Nadal, chasing a record fourth successive Monte Carlo title, eased past Spanish compatriot Juan Carlos Ferrero 6-4 6-1 to record his 21st win in 22 matches in the principality.

Top seed Federer, who had been just two points away from defeat against world number 137 Ruben Ramirez Hidalgo in the second round, saw off Frenchman Gael Monfils 6-3 6-4.

Nadal, who has defeated Federer in the last two finals, now takes on fellow Spaniard David Ferrer while the world number one must get past David Nalbandian of Argentina who took just an hour to see off Spanish 12th seed Tommy Robredo 6-1 6-0.

"I was patient and happy to have played so well after yesterday," admitted Federer who said he had held an immediate inquiry into his failings against Ramirez Hidalgo with interim coach Jose Higueras.

"I made a lot of errors in my first match but with Jose I was able to analyse the good and the bad and to see how I turned it around. We created a plan for today. It's been an interesting 24 hours for me."

Nadal, whose title here last year took him level with Ilie Nastase's three consecutive wins from 1971-1973, said he was happy with his trouble-free progress.

"It's never easy to play Juan Carlos on clay so to beat him 6-4 6-1 is a very good win," said Nadal who has now racked up 95 wins in 96 matches on clay since April 2005.

"I've had a great start beating Mario (Ancic) in the first round and now Juan Carlos. The first claycourt tournament of the year is never easy especially this season because I played Davis Cup indoors in Germany last week.

"Then I had a few days at home in Mallorca before coming here to prepare for three days."

The triple French Open champion broke in the fourth game of the first set to lead 3-1 before the gritty 13th seeded Ferrero, twice a champion in 2002 and 2003, hit back in the seventh game.

But Nadal, wrapped up the opener with a vicious, deep forehand on his fourth set point.

Nadal stormed into a 5-1 second set lead which was converted into victory courtesy of a smooth forehand pass.

Federer was broken in the third game of the first set to trail world number 64 Monfils 1-2 before hitting back straightaway.

He broke again to lead 4-2, teed up a set point in the ninth game with an incisive volley before closing out the opener when Monfils hit long.

The Swiss broke to lead 2-1 in the second set before going to three match points on serve in the 10th game. Monfils saved one but went down to defeat with a weary netted return after a 71-minute tussle.

Djokovic reached his first Monte Carlo quarter-final with a stunning victory over Murray, reeling off the first seven games of the contest.

"I wanted to keep control of the match and be patient and aggressive at the same time," said Djokovic.

"It's my goal to win a major on clay and I believe I have a good enough game to do it."

The Serbian now faces Sam Querrey, who put out French seventh seed Richard Gasquet 2-6 6-4 6-3 to become the first American to reach the last eight since Vince Spadea in 2003.

Fourth seeded Russian Nikolay Davydenko beat German 16th seed Philipp Kohlschreiber 3-6 7-5 6-2 and now faces compatriot Igor Andreev who needed seven match points to defeat Spain's Nicolas Almagro 7-5 4-6 6-4 and secure his first place in the last eight.

Ferrer reached his fourth successive Monte Carlo quarter-final by brushing aside Serbia's Janko Tipsarevic 6-4 6-0.

Stich Shows Federer the Way to Conquer Nadal

Michael Stich (pictured) bamboozled Albert Costa with an array of spins, angles and net-rushes on Friday and then advised Roger Federer to do the same whenever he meets Rafael Nadal on clay.

Stich is seven years Costa's junior, but he showed in his 6-3, 6-4 demolition of the former French Open champion that variety can be the key to unlocking the games of even the best players on clay.

It is a recipe that the German, himself a French Open finalist in 1996, believes could take Federer to title at Roland Garros.

"Players like Albert Costa and Nadal don't like it if you don't give them rhythm," said Stich.

"It worked for me today against Costa and it could work for Roger against Nadal. It didn't work out for him the last couple of times the way he played Nadal in the French Open finals because he always started well with a lot of variety but then after the first set he let it go and thought he could beat Nadal from the baseline. That, I think, he can not do, not over the best of five sets. But, if he keeps up the variety he has a real chance because he has all the shots. You have to be open-minded enough to try it and if Federer gets through to the Monte Carlo final and plays Nadal it would be a good chance for him to try it out. It would be nice for him to win Monte Carlo but it's the French Open that he really wants.

"You need to serve well to get free points against your opponent, but also you have to stop them getting a rhythm. It is better to go for two big returns and make two errors than just chip the ball back and get into long rallies. That's what a player like Albert Costa likes and after three of those points where I am moving side-to-side, I look silly. Thomas Muster was a little bit like Nadal and it was the same with him. You need to play the little backhand crosscourt, a slice down the line, hit fast balls and come into the net."

Federer Rallies to Defeat Nalbandian

MONTE CARLO, Monaco (AP)—Roger Federer rallied from a set down to defeat David Nalbandian 5-7, 6-2, 6-2 Friday and advance to the semifinals of the Monte Carlo Masters.

Federer remains on course for a third straight final against three-time defending champion Rafael Nadal, who beat No. 5 David Ferrer of Spain 6-1, 7-5.

“The level of play was excellent today,” Federer said. “Tough rallies. I think I definitely played my best match of the tournament, no doubt.”

The top-ranked Swiss player was shaky in the first set before dominating the next two and breaking Nalbandian’s serve five times in five chances, including the first match point.

“It’s always nice playing against him,” Federer said. “Because of the great player he is. He’s (a) wonderful ball striker.”

Federer next plays third-seeded Novak Djokovic, who beat unseeded Sam Querrey of the United States 6-4, 6-0.

Also, fourth-seeded Nikolay Davydenko defeated unseeded Igor Andreev 6-3, 4-6, 7-5 despite losing his serve seven times.

At 5-2 in the third set, Federer sent a forehand winner down the line, and a crisp backhand made it 0-40. Federer took the match with a crosscourt winner on the run that Nalbandian couldn’t get near.

“I think we both played (at) a great level,” Nalbandian said. “I got a little tired in the second set and third set.”

Nalbandian won his first match against Federer six years ago in the second round at Monte Carlo—the first of five consecutive wins for Nalbandian. Federer took eight of the next nine meetings, then Nalbandian beat Federer twice last year in the Madrid Masters final and the third round of the Paris Masters.

Nadal was troubled by Ferrer’s big forehand in the second set. The 2007 Masters Cup finalist broke Nadal’s serve twice to lead 3-0, and was then 40-15 up on his serve before Nadal broke back for 3-1.

Serving for the set at 5-4, Ferrer led 40-0 but then crumbled, smacking the turf with his racket after his drop shot bounced out and Nadal drew even at 5-5.

Davydenko overcame his serving problems by breaking Andreev’s serve nine times.

“Maybe I was lucky on this match,” said Davydenko, who attributed his poor serving to the tennis balls. “(They are) really heavy here. I don’t feel good topspin or good control, you know, for the serve.”

Andreev appeared in a commanding position in the 11th game of the deciding set, with Davydenko needing to rally from 15-40 down on serve to lead 6-5. Andreev then led 40-0 on his serve in the next game, but Davydenko rallied and won the match when Andreev sent a forehand long.

Edited by mauiguy90

Rafa, Fed to Meet in Monte Carlo Final Again

MONTE CARLO, Monaco (AP)—Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal will meet in the Monte Carlo Masters final for the third straight year.

Federer advanced from his semifinal Saturday after third-seeded Novak Djokovic retired while trailing 6-3, 3-2. Nadal beat Nikolay Davydenko 6-3, 6-2 to reach his fourth straight final.

"I'm happy (with) the way I'm playing," Federer said. "He's been impressive no doubt. He's been playing excellent."

Nadal leads Federer 8-6 and 6-1 on clay—the Spaniard's only loss on the slow surface coming last year at Hamburg, Germany.

"There's only a handful of players who can beat him on clay, he's that dominant," Federer said. "I'd like to be able to push him tomorrow and see what he can come up with in the important moments. Because I'm playing well again."

Nadal is the three-time defending champion and has not lost a set in the clay-court tournament since beating Federer in the 2006 final.

Nadal has not even been taken to a tiebreaker so far.

"I think I am playing well; I am doing good work," Nadal said. "I think I am more adapted to clay every match. I play more clay (court) style every day, having control of the point with the forehand."

Djokovic called for a trainer at the end of the first set and then shook hands with the top-ranked Swiss player after losing his serve in the fifth game of the second.

"From the start I didn't feel so great," Djokovic said, complaining of dizziness and a sore throat.

"I just couldn't get enough energy back after each point," he said. "I feel dizziness a little bit in the last three days. I don't know. Doctor in the tournament couldn't give me the right diagnosis. I'll check as soon as possible."

Djokovic had a similar illness in February against Russia in the Davis Cup, retiring against Davydenko when leading in the reverse singles, and afterward complaining about dizziness and low energy.

After saving three break points in the fifth game of the first set, Federer took control. He broke the Serb in the eighth game and served out the set—with an impressive 94 percent of points won on first serve.

The Australian Open champion, broken twice more by Federer in the second set, felt it was too risky to continue.

"It's not worth it," Djokovic said. "I'm just 20 years old. Still a lot of time, a lot of tournaments to come."

Davydenko's clever angles and ability to sustain rallies troubled Nadal, but the Russian was unable to take advantage of his opportunities, converting only one of five break points. Nadal broke Davydenko five times in seven chances.

"Every point is a long rally," Davydenko said. "Nadal is very tough, physically he is in a top condition."

The Spaniard won the match when Davydenko's attempt at a forehand winner went long.

Nadal's last defeat at Monte Carlo came in the third round against Guillermo Coria five years ago. The Spaniard was out in 2004 because of injury and since has won 21 straight matches.

Nadal took the first set by breaking Davydenko's serve when the Russian hit a forehand wide from the baseline.

Nadal got another break to go up 3-1 in the second. Davydenko broke right back, then lost his serve again to trail 4-2.

In the seventh game, Davydenko played some of his best tennis of the tournament, pinning Nadal to the baseline and hitting winners down the line off his strong forehand. But he failed to convert three break points, then complained that the tournament balls slowed down his game.

"The balls are more heavy," he said. "I didn't hit so fast."

Davydenko can still be pleased with his start to the season, after beating Nadal for the title at Key Biscayne and then losing last week's final at Estoril against Federer when he retired with a leg injury.

"For me it was a good week, semifinal here," Davydenko said. "Now I prepare for Rome."

Edited by mauiguy90

Nadal Defeats Fed at Monaco Decisively

MONTE CARLO, Monaco (AP)—Rafael Nadal won his first title of the season, defeating top-ranked Roger Federer yet again on clay to claim his fourth consecutive Monte Carlo Masters.

The second-ranked Spaniard won 7-5, 7-5 Sunday, and improved his clay-court record over Federer to 7-1.

“Winning four times here is unimaginable,” said Nadal, who earned his 24th career title. “Roger played a great match. We always have good finals.”

Nadal has won 98 of his last 99 matches on clay, with a loss to Federer in the 2007 Hamburg final the only blip.

The Swiss star blew commanding leads in each set, breaking Nadal to lead 4-3 in the first and racing to a 4-0 lead in the second.

“Disappointing second set,” Federer said. “After playing the right way against him and then letting him back into the match, it was disappointing. Maybe I didn’t play my best.”

Federer committed too many unforced errors, surprisingly on his forehand, and let Nadal back into the match.

“He deserves to win,” Federer said. “I’m pushing Rafa today, having the feeling I can beat him if I play the right way. And I think that’s the feeling I didn’t have after (Monte Carlo) last year.”

Nadal is the only player in the Open era to win four straight titles at Monte Carlo, and the first since Anthony Wilding of New Zealand (1911-14).

Nadal has won 22 consecutive matches at Monte Carlo since losing to Guillermo Coria in the third round in 2003. Federer was the last person to take a set from him in the 2006 final. Nadal missed 2004 with injury.

The three-time French Open champion is 19-1 in clay-court finals, while Federer dropped to 7-8 on his least favorite surface. The 12-time Grand Slam champion has never won the French Open, the only major title missing from his resume.

Still, Nadal thinks Federer remains the best, despite a slower start to the season. Federer picked up his first win of the season last week at the Estoril Open.

“I think he doesn’t get enough credit,” Nadal said. “It is impossible to be at 100 percent all your career, he is still No. 1, the best in the world.”

Relying too much on his forehand, Federer also missed routine volleys at the net, and made 44 unforced errors.

Federer seemed poised to even the match after hitting some near-perfect winners down the line and taking a 4-0 lead in the second set. Nadal struggled to hold his serve in the fifth game, but turned the match around.

Nadal rallied to 4-3, and Federer had four consecutive errors in the eighth game to lose his serve at love.

A weak backhand gave Nadal the match point and he took it at the first opportunity, before sliding on his back and raising both fists in the air.

Federer lost his serve six times during the match.

“The amount of times I got broken today wasn’t what I was hoping for,” Federer said. “But at least I was finally able to break him also on (four) occasions, which is the good part.”

Federer won only 29 percent of his second-serve points, which even alarmed Nadal.

“A little bit strange because that’s not normal, no?,” Nadal said. “He’s a big server.”

Both players looked nervous on serve in the first set, swapping breaks for 1-1.

Federer saved a break point in the sixth game and dominated Nadal at the net in the seventh, breaking him to move ahead 4-3.

Nadal enjoyed some luck to break back to 4-4.

A loose return bounced on the baseline and surprised Federer, who returned it into the net. Then, on breakpoint, Nadal’s powerful forehand clipped the net and sent Federer the wrong way.

In the 12th game, Federer drew Nadal into the net but hesitated before trying a slice backhand that Nadal easily read and flicked back to take the opening set.

Federer started out strongly in the second set with crisp volleys and confusing angles. He broke Nadal at love in the third game, then easily held for 4-0 before Nadal rallied.

Edited by mauiguy90

Nadal Begins Barcelona Title Defense with Win Over Starace

BARCELONA, Spain (AP)—Rafael Nadal eased into the third round of the Barcelona Open by defeating Potito Starace 6-4, 6-2 on Wednesday.

Nadal is seeking his fourth straight title in Barcelona, and broke the Italian’s serve to take the first set. The Spaniard came out more aggressive in the second, going up 2-0 and then trading breaks with Starace, who offered little resistance the rest of the way.

The top-seeded Nadal has won 99 of his last 100 matches on clay. He came into the tournament fresh from Sunday’s win over top-ranked Roger Federer in the final of the Monte Carlo Masters.

Nadal has won 16 straight matches in Barcelona, and last year did not lose a set in the tournament.

In other second-round matches Wednesday, second-seeded David Ferrer beat Gabriel Trujillo-Soler 6-1, 6-1, and sixth-seeded Tommy Robredo ousted Robin Haase 6-2, 6-4.

What's Next for Nalbandian?

We're in Villa del Dique, a small town of around 2,800 people in Cordoba, Argentina. David Nalbandian has interrupted his three-week holiday to attend an unusual press conference: He has been invited by Luis Santos, his first tennis coach, to deliver a speech to 100 children, revealing his secrets of how to beat both Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal.

A jovial Nalbandian also relates how he came to be a tennis player. The tale is one of an undecided boy who played soccer when tennis bored him, who enjoyed watching rally car competitions in his hometown, but who later learned that he could make a career by wielding a racquet. "When I was 11, I would switch between tennis and other sports," Nalbandian recalls. "Three years later, I would be playing for four hours against older people. I was a total tennis fan. Today, I just practise for an hour and a half, but focusing on what I need to improve. Those are different stages in your career."

Suddenly, a girl stands up and raises her voice to ask a crucial question: "Next year, are you going to be focused only on tennis?" Grinning, Nalbandian promptly answers: "Yes, as always." The room erupts with laughter.

As someone who until recently had relatively little to show for his prodigious talent, the response was like a bittersweet joke. Despite finishing no lower than No. 12 for five consecutive years between 2002-06, the Argentine had won just five ATP titles, with his 2005 Tennis Masters Cup final triumph over an injured Roger Federer his only victory at Masters Series or Grand Slam level. He reached the Wimbledon final in 2002 and a year later held match point against eventual champion Andy Roddick in the US Open semifinals, but his game that promised so much had delivered so little in terms of hard results.

That is why 2007 was shaping as such a bitter season for Nalbandian, who at 25, should have been hitting his peak. In mid October, with just three weeks to play before his miserable season was over, Nalbandian came into ATP Masters Series Madrid at No. 25 in the South African Airways ATP Rankings after reaching just one quarterfinal (Barcelona) all year.

But in one of the most dramatic performances in recent memory, Nalbandian became the first player to defeat World No. 1 Roger Federer and World No. 2 Rafael Nadal in the same tournament on two occasions en route to winning back-to-back ATP Masters Series titles in Madrid and Paris and finishing the year inside the Top 10 (at No. 9) for the fifth straight year. To the relief of all eight competitors at Tennis Masters Cup, Nalbandian missed a place in Shanghai by one spot. "I don't know what the hel_l he's been doing all the other tournaments," Federer quipped.

So which David Nalbandian will show up in 2008: the one who over promises, or the one who over delivers? Certainly the goals are lofty, starting with a quest to break the Grand Slam domination of Federer and Nadal, who have shared the past 11 majors since Marat Safin won the 2005 Australian Open after saving match point against Federer in the semifinals.

"My first Grand Slam, an Olympic medal in Beijing and the Davis Cup," Nalbandian says of his ambitious hit-list for 2008. "Each one represents a different satisfaction - the first one, rather individual; the others would mean to leave my mark on the sport's history in Argentina.

Nalbandian, who turned 26 on January 1, is more tentative assessing his chances to become No.1, but still brings the subject to the table. "I'll go for it, no doubt. Of course, it's extremely difficult. What Federer does is out of this world, winning almost every tournament he plays. But at least I will say I'm going to try."

Spaniard Alex Corretja, another former Tennis Masters Cup champion, certainly sees further improvement for Nalbandian in 2008. "The creativity Nalbandian shows on court is astonishing. Next year, he should at least be in the Top 5." [Nalbandian has never finished in the year-end Top 5. Indeed, he has finished higher than No. 8 just once - in 2005 when he ended at No. 6.]

Martin Jaite, Nalbandian's coach and a former top-tenner, supports the bid for Federer-esque goals. "He's motivated, and we all know motivation is the key for his success. He's seeking glory, he wants to prove he can fight for the top of the rankings. I find him more mature now. He's got to stay focused and the results will come."

The proof is there, ready to be found on the Internet. Reviews, reports, videos, you name it. Just type the words: "Nalbandian, Madrid" or "Nalbandian, Paris" and it will come. Not only did he beat Federer and Nadal twice, but also the hottest upcoming stars, such as Novak Djokovic, David Ferrer, Richard Gasquet and Tomas Berdych. The match against Berdych was a turning point, as former player Brad Gilbert pointed out in Paris. "It's incredible how a single match can turn over a whole career. David was losing 6-4,

4-0, but fought, eventually won in three sets and see what happened afterwards."

Looking for what went wrong in the first 10 months of 2007, Nalbandian and his team identified mistakes that were made at the end of 2006, when he did not allow sufficient time to rest, which led to knee and back injuries. "After the Masters Cup and the Davis Cup final, he played a couple of exhibition matches he shouldn't have. Those were little mistakes we made," explains Diego Rodriguez, Nalbandian's physiotherapist.

Nalbandian's appointment as Jaite as his coach last August, after an extended period of working solo, looks anything but a mistake at this point. Jaite said he could see Nalbandian's game begin to turn around at the US Open, where he suffered a five-set loss to eventual semifinalist Ferrer in the third round. "He held one match point there; who knows what could have happened," says Jaite. "I always tell David that we achieved the goals sooner than I thought - I was expecting this for March -because he wanted to do it. It was his will."

Jaite helped him change his service motion: Nalbandian now tosses the ball forward and serves more aggressively. He's also improved his physical condition. "He lost three kilos since August, but the scale is not the most important thing; it's the relationship between fat and muscle. The first one decreased, the latter did the opposite," adds his trainer, Fernando Cao.

"Motivation is my biggest strength," says Nalbandian. "When I'm confident, I know I can beat anybody; if I'm mentally tired, my level drops."

'Anybody' includes the always-fearsome Federer, a player Nalbandian is not afraid to face. "I know him since we were juniors. I guess I don't pay him the same respect as everyone does," he explains. Nalbandian beat Federer in the 1998 US Open junior final, but the Swiss took revenge that year at the Orange Bowl semifinals, to end as the junior World No.1. (Nalbandian vs. Federer head-to-head)

"Of course, I know I must play not a perfect match, but better, maybe 11 points [out of 10], to beat him," Nalbandian reckons. That is what happened in Madrid and Paris: a mixture of sizzling returns, sharp serves, angles, backhand winners and determination that caught Federer off-guard. "He's so dominant from the baseline, it was tough to adjust," said Federer after Paris. "It's frustrating to be beaten twice by the same player. I was able to turn our head-to-head around, but now we are even."

The history of their meetings shows eight wins each, with Nalbandian winning the first five, Federer taking the lead with eight victories out of the next nine (the only loss coming in the thrilling 2005 Tennis Masters Cup final) and Nalbandian evening the score late last year.

"Federer doesn't like being attacked, he's not used to that. You have to strike first," explains Jaite. "For David, to reach the No. 1 is not an impossible task, but he needs consistency, which he doesn't have right now. We are going for it," he adds. "Nalbandian is training hard. At the same time, he is not the kind of player who needs to spend many hours on court to make progress. He is not a slave for tennis and needs to have distractions in order to succeed."

The list of distractions includes managing his own rally team, called Tango, and even playing the role of driver. In October, he made his debut behind the steering wheel in Andalgala, a small city of Catamarca, in north-east Argentina and followed with a classic cars' rally in the south of the country. (Read more)

"I do what I like, I live life, and that helps. Maybe other people think the opposite. As every office guy or business man who has spare activities, I pay attention to tennis a suitable time; then I do other things," Nalbandian explains. He did bungee-jumping in Vienna three years ago and swam with sharks in Melbourne back in 2002.

"I don't give him orders, but I do tell him what I don't like," says Jaite. "Once, he went skiing and I told him it was dangerous, but he's free to do what he wants. He works that way."

"Nadal has a life outside tennis, he enjoys it; Federer, maybe not that much… But he's got a different personality. Our cultures are totally unlike each other," Nalbandian explains. "That doesn't mean I don't think big. I want to improve my results and leave a big mark on the sport."

Often labeled as one of the sport's biggest underachievers, Nalbandian now seems committed to embracing his destiny. Perhaps, when he returns to Villa del Dique later this year, he will be carrying a Grand Slam trophy or be wearing an Olympic medal. And he will share a laugh with the children once again.

Edited by mauiguy90

Bandaged Nadal Beats Lopez to Reach Barcelona Quarters

BARCELONA, Spain (AP)—Rafael Nadal defeated Feliciano Lopez 6-4, 6-3 Thursday to reach the Barcelona Open quarterfinals, posting his 100th win on clay in his last 101 matches.

The three-time French Open champion's only loss during that stretch—dating back to 2005—came against Roger Federer in Hamburg Masters final last year.

"That's not bad," Nadal said.

Taking control from the start, Nadal forced Lopez to save three break chances in the third game to hold his serve. Nadal, the three-time defending champion, broke in the fifth game when the 35th-ranked Lopez hit long.

Nadal's backhand was sharp throughout the match, and another break in the second set was enough to set up a quarterfinal match against Juan Ignacio Chela, who defeated Ernests Gulbis 2-6, 6-4, 6-3.

Nadal, who had bandages across his left shoulder and under both knees, had been critical of the scheduling of clay-court tournaments.

The second-ranked Spaniard next plays at Rome and Hamburg, and has a one-week break before the French Open.

Stanislas Wawrinka of Switzerland will play Albert Montanes after upsetting seventh-ranked David Nalbandian 6-3, 6-1. Montanes held on to beat Mikhail Kukushkin 6-3, 3-6, 6-3.

Earlier, fifth-seeded David Ferrer rallied to stop Nicolas Lapentti 4-6, 6-4, 6-3.

He will next play Tommy Robredo, who topped ninth-seeded Guillermeo Canas 6-1, 7-5.

Robredo, the last player to win the tournament before Nadal, eased through the first set and held a 4-1 lead in the second. But Canas rallied and led 5-4, before Robredo won the last three games and won the match when Canas hit into the net.

Hope and Fear: French Await a Male Grand Slam Champion

Until recently, France had more than a dozen men's players in the top 100 – but little Grand Slam success to show for it. Then Jo-Wilfried Tsonga came along.

One of the biggest surprises in years, an inspired Tsonga blasted his way to the Australian Open final in January, and who knows, might have ended the country's 25-year Grand Slam men's drought if he hadn't played a loose game in the middle of the second set against Novak Djokovic in the final.

Despite strength through the ranks of the ATP tour, Cedric Pioline, the two-time Grand Slam finalist turned head of men's high performance at the French Tennis Federation, admitted Tsonga's performance Down Under gave the nation a much-needed boost. In the 25 years between Tsonga's Australian Open showing and Yannick Noah's famous triumph at Roland Garros in 1983, only three Frenchmen have reached Grand Slam finals. Pioline was one, doing it at both Wimbledon and the US Open. The others were the small but speedy Arnaud Clement at the 2001 Australian Open, and the talented but erratic Henri Leconte at the 1988 French Open.

"Oh, I think it was a big lift," Pioline said. "It's good for French tennis and world tennis because I

think this boy has a lot of charisma, and I don't think what he did in Melbourne will only be a one-shot tournament. I think he'll be a top player for the next years."He loves the big courts, and he loves to play under pressure. It's a big quality in his game because his mental side is very strong. He's able to play very good tennis in big moments and big matches." Indeed Tsonga, ranked outside the top 200 at the beginning of 2007 largely due to back and abdominal injuries, followed up his Oz adventure by making his Davis Cup debut and downing wily veteran Andrei Pavel in Romania, no small feat. At his next big ATP event in Indian Wells, the 22-year-old proved his obliteration of Rafael Nadal in the Australian Open semifinals was no fluke. He led the Spaniard 5-2 in the decider, though couldn't close out their fourth-round epic. A knee injury has stalled his progress over the last few weeks, but his compatriots are still impressed.

``I think he's doing really great,'' said former world No. 4 Sebastien Grosjean.``He kept on improving his ranking and the way he was playing. He worked hard. It's great for him, his coach and French tennis. For six or seven years, we didn't have a player in a Grand Slam final, so it was pretty big in the country. But we're still waiting for someone to win a Slam.''

Before Tsonga's emergence, most thought that guy was going to be his good pal and occasional doubles partner, Richard Gasquet. Trumpeted for success since he was an adolescent, Gasquet continues to be inconsistent and has only made it past the fourth round of a major once - albeit in spectacular fashion at Wimbledon last year when he overturned a two-set and break deficit against Roddick to make the semis. Yet it was also Gasquet who had capitulated in front of his home fans in the second round of the French Open weeks earlier, and would opt out at the same stage during the U.S. Open in August due to a fever and sore throat. A few months later he managed to beat Andy Murray at the Paris Masters to earn a spot at the Masters Cup – after falling apart and getting bageled in the second set.

"In my opinion, Jo will help Richard because he's going to push him," Pioline said. "Okay, Richard was in kind of a comfortable seat. He's been between No. 8 and 15 in the world, and now he has another French player pushing him. I think Tsonga will give him more will to work." Gasquet, according to Pioline, needs to make some changes. He stands too far from the baseline at times, his forehand can be shaky, and the serve, and volley, can do with some improvement, too. If he doesn't make a significant breakthrough in the next two years, Pioline said things will become "difficult" for the 21-year-old. He last spoke with Gasquet, coached by Eric Deblicker of the Lagardere group, about his game about a year ago and would be glad to give him some advice if asked. "In one way he's still young, on the other, he's been around for a while, and everyone forgets that it's now five years," Pioline said. "Time goes fast. He's not anymore a young player. He's of course a talented player, top 10, but what is strange for me is when I watch him play, I don't feel he's something different than two or three years ago. "I would say that probably if in this year or next he doesn't do something, maybe it's time for him to ask himself if he's doing the right things to get to the top."

By that time, there could be a few more French hopefuls. Fifteen ended 2007 in the top 100, more than any other nation, and almost all seem to be versatile with good technique. Lefty Jonathan Eysseric is one to watch down the road. The 17-year-old is a former junior No. 1 and trained with Roger Federer during last year's clay-court season as the Swiss readied for Nadal. Tennis is widely considered the second most popular sport in France, behind soccer, so getting kids to play is easier, and the country is relatively small in size, which makes it easier to co-ordinate activities. The grounds of Roland Garros house top juniors who study, practice and play one another, while the federation works closely with local clubs to ensure children get ample court time. A new complex in Cannes is expected to be operational by 2009 and will allow juniors to compete outdoors the entire year, Pioline said. The detection system also stands out, partly because all the eggs aren't thrown in one or two baskets.

"The French, it seems to me, are looking at players who have potential to be a pro tennis player, whether that means they're going to be No. 10, No. 100 or No. 200," said Brad Stine, the ex-coach of Grosjean and Jim Courier. "[if a] guy is 200 or 250 in the world at 20, 21 or 22, that doesn't mean by the time he's 24 or 25 he isn't going to be a guy who's No. 70 or 80. So they continue to help that guy with his development and give him coaching and training support."

Federer himself is a fan of the Frenchmen prowling the circuit. "They have good techniques, playing style, unbelievable shot making,'' he said earlier this year. "They make you play better tennis than, for instance, the Spaniards, who are just going to throw the ball into play."

Edited by mauiguy90

Nadal Wins 4th Straight Barcelona Crown

BARCELONA, Spain (AP)—Rafael Nadal won his fourth straight Barcelona Open title with a 6-1, 4-6, 6-1 victory over second-seeded David Ferrer in the final Sunday.

Nadal’s 21st straight win at the tournament improved his record to 20-1 in clay court finals, including 4-0 at Barcelona. The second-ranked Spaniard, who has won 103 of his last 104 matches on clay, improved to 25-8 in finals overall.

Nadal moved to 6-3 against the fifth-ranked Ferrer, whom he beat on his way to a fourth straight trophy at Monte Carlo last week. The three-time French Open champion will go for a fourth straight Masters Series title in Rome, starting Monday.

Nadal took the lead from the first game with a break of Ferrer’s serve thanks to a backhand passing shot.

Ferrer fired a crosscourt forehand out to give Nadal a second break point and a 3-0 advantage. Ferrer finally held in the fifth to trail 4-1.

Ferrer steadied himself in the second set to put Nadal on the defensive. A screeching forehand set up a double break-point chance in the sixth but Nadal saved to trail 4-3.

After trading breaks, Ferrer went back to the steady forehand for the winner that snapped Nadal’s 25 set-winning streak here.

Nadal regained control in the decider with a break in the second game for a 2-0 lead, and another break in the fourth at the seventh all-Spanish final at Barcelona.

Edited by mauiguy90

Pre-Tournament Interview: Roger Relaxed in Rome

ROGER'S RESTED AND GOOD TO GO

A relaxed Roger Federer came to answer some questions in the pre-tournament press conference. At 4pm the interview room of the Foro Italico all of a sudden filled up as though something was going to happen. Sure enough, a tall figure walked in with an "RF" cap on his head. Journalist's from all over the world sat down quickly and hushed up in order to listen to the (other) "Great One". Here are some of the topics that were covered :

His new coach Jose Higueras

"Jose will only be joining me in Paris. The truth is we have not yet had enough time to really start working together in depth. Before Roland-Garros it will be nice because we will have some time to train and work. In Estoril and Monte-Carlo it was difficult because when you are in a tournament you don't have the same time to focus on specifics"

His biggest clay court rival : Rafael Nadal

"I was in the final of Hambourg 4 times and won each time. I was in the final of Monte-Carlo 3 times and always lost to Rafa. Maybe had I not played him in the finals I would have won that tournament."

Being up 4-0 in the second set of the final and losing

"Had I been up 4-0 on Rafa on any other surface I would have probably won 6-1 or 6-2, but on clay it's a completly different story. For Rafa on clay nothing is impossible."

What he can improve

"There is not much to change in my game. Maybe I can serve a bit better and try and improve my attacking game, but all in all I'm pretty happy with what I've done up to know on clay. Estoril was difficult due to the changing weather conditions, and in Monte-Carlo I had a dicy 1st round (he was down 5-1 in the 3rd set to Spaniard Ramirez-Hidalgo) and then a good few wins versus Monfils and Nalbandian"

His draw

"I usually don't look at the entire draw. I prefer to focus on my upcomming match as well as who I would play if I move on. I also take a look at what seeds are in my half, but that's it I don't look at who's playing who in all the different rounds"

What he did during his week off

"I took a few days off to rest and then I started hitting again to prepare for this week. I got here yesterday (Saturday) and played 3 hours and 2 today."

His fitness

"I feel good, I did some tests last week and everything is good"

All in all the world number 1 seems confident comming in to the second clay court Masters-Series of the season. His main concern, and rightfully so is "Rafa". And even though he did not say it, deep down, beating him in the final is a challenge he would love to overcome.

Roddick Defeats Fish; Federer to Face Nemesis Canas

ROME (AP)—Andy Roddick got his clay-court season off to a solid start Tuesday, defeating Mardy Fish 6-1, 6-4 in an all-American matchup in the second round of the Rome Masters.

Roddick improved his record against his longtime friend to 8-1.

Fish outlasted Michael Llodra in three sets Monday and appeared off his game at the start, losing the first set in 22 minutes with 14 unforced errors. The sixth-seeded Roddick had a first-round bye and came out firing his big serve.

Roddick broke for a 4-3 lead in the second set when Fish missed a routine backhand into the net. Fish missed two more routine baseline shots to give Roddick the win.

It was Roddick’s second match on clay this year after a Davis Cup win over Austria’s Jurgen Melzer in February.

Roddick snapped an 11-match losing streak to Roger Federer a month ago at the Sony Ericsson Open in Key Biscayne, Fla. He led the U.S. to a win over France in the Davis Cup quarterfinals a week later.

The top-ranked Federer was scheduled to play later against Guillermo Canas. Canas is one of the few players with a winning record against Federer at 3-2.

The tournament is a clay-court tuneup for the French Open, which begins May 25.

FEDERER CRUISES INTO 3RD ROUND

Roger Federer makes no mistake versus "Willy" Canas 39 minutes is what Roger Federer needed to capture the first set versus his "dark horse" Guillermo Canas. The Swiss seemed exrtemely fit on the court handing Canas numerous accelerations may it be with the backhand or the forehand. 6 aces and one break allowed for the Swiss an easy first set win. Which is exacly what he needed to get the confidence level needed when facing an opponent he does not like to face on a surface he doesn't necessarily like to play on.

In the second set, "Willy" held serve and picked up some momentum which he clearly lacked of in the 1st set. He even forced Roger to defend a break point when serving down 2-3. The Swiss however, defended successfully and squared the score at 3 all. Up 40-15 on his serve Canas saw himself comfortably moving up 4-3. Unfortunately, for him, that is when Federer decided to take control of things. He came back and broke Canas to go up 4-3 and serving. Despite some nice defense on behalf of the Argentine, it was all about "Rogde". Canas would not score another game as Federer goes through to the third round.

ANDY MURRAY POST MATCH PRESS CONFERENCE

After his match versus Juan Martin Del Potro, Andy Murray came to the press conference to mention some of the key moments in his match.

Q. Is it fair to say there was a little bit of everything out there tonight?

ANDY MURRAY: Yeah, I said to Miles and Alex I felt like I was actually hitting the ball really, really well, but like just like not thinking at all.

Put in two good points and then three or four stupid shots and like didn't think that much about tactics. But I felt like I was hitting the ball really well, I wasn't mishitting balls.I was just not really thinking as much as I should have been. I don't know if it was just obviously it was quite tough conditions, but the rain delay and sort of obviously going on late and not much atmosphere, you know, that probably contributed to it a little bit. But it was, you know, kind of strange mindset in the match.

Q. He's probably quite tough to play against, isn't he, very talented ball striker?

ANDY MURRAY: Yeah, I mean, he's had some good wins, and I think he's been injured for quite a which of the this year. You know, but he played he obviously qualified winning two good matches: He beat Benjamin Becker 1 and 1 in the final round and beat Andreev last week, who is a very good clay courter as well. So he, you know, plays well on clay. Yeah, I mean, he's a tough guy to play. He's got such long reach and hits the ball very clean, you know, as well as definitely a tough guy to beat.

Q. Did you feel by the time he suffered his mishap you were getting on top?

ANDY MURRAY: Yeah, I felt I was, yeah, for sure playing better. I was starting to return a bit better and my shot selection improved. You know, at the end the second set, it started to get better and starting mixing in some serve and volley and coming to the net a bit more. You know, kind of, I think, threw him off his rhythm a little bit which, you know, stopped him from being able to dictate the points like he probably was for the majority of the first set.

Q. Can you just take us through the one or two controversial things that happened out there? I think we get the gist of the first one, but the second one when you and Fergus were having quite a long conversation about something we thought involved Juan Martin.

ANDY MURRAY: Yeah, basically, I mean, I've never said that I've always been open and saying that I swear on court sometimes louder than I should. But, no chance I swore there. I've never once disputed getting a warning for an audible obscenity before. You know, but it's a little bit unfortunate when you don't swear and the umpire thinks you say something else. It's, you know I mean, you got I was obviously going to argue it because I didn't swear. You know, the second one, it was like 4 All in the second set and I hit a played serve and volley and hit a bad volley in the middle of the service box and

he came in and hit a full power backhand straight at my head. You know, I would have thought that it's normal to, you know, apologize for something like that. I've known him since we were 13 and 14, and, you know, to get an apology was a little bit disappointing.So, yeah, maybe after that the next two or three points I was maybe shouting, Come on a little bit more than I usually do. But, you know, I think I was not very happy with getting the ball aimed at my head and not getting any sort of an apology. Yeah, got a bit of emotion into the match, and at the change of ends he said something that's I'm not going to go into too much detail, but for me it was completely unacceptable. You know, told him he better watch his mouth. And then, yeah, I mean, it was maybe a good thing for me. I wanted to win so much more after that. You know, I thought started thinking a little bit more.You know, I didn't feel like I was going lose the match after that point.

Q. Apparently Sky was saying it was something to do with your mother.That's what the microphones picked up.

ANDY MURRAY: Yeah, he said something about my mum, yeah.

Q. You wouldn't appreciate that, I guess.

ANDY MURRAY: Someone saying something about your mother who is one of the nicest ladies you're ever going to meet? I don't think that's really that cool. You know, he can say whatever he wants to me. I know that, you know, regardless of how people think I behave on court I've only had one problem ever in my 16 matches on the tour, because I don't scream come on into my opponents' faces and I don't say anything to them when I'm walking by them. I've never had one problem in all of my matches. You know, so I was a little bit disappointed when someone said something about my mum, you know, on the court. I don't think I mean, he can say whatever he wants to me. I don't care. I've had a lot of bad things said about me before. Didn't really bother me. I think when you start to talking about one's family they're going to naturally not take that too well?

Q. Did you complain to the umpire about that?

ANDY MURRAY: Oh, when the umpire when he said it to me I just said basically said, What are you doing? Watch your mouth. You don't say stuff like that on the court. He just said , Leave it until after the match. And I said, You warned me for not even swearing at the start of the match, and this guy is talking about my family and, you know, you're not going to do anything about that? And he said, Well, you know, wait until after the match or something. That was the only thing I was arguing about. I think that merits a warning.

Q. Have you got on okay with him prior to this?

ANDY MURRAY: Well, I mean, I've known him since we were 13 and 14. He's asked me to play doubles and I speak to him on the Internet sometimes. I think we had a problem once maybe. Like he said something to me after a match like at the French Open juniors. But, yeah, I mean, we've been fine. Yeah, I mean, nothing like what happened on the court tonight had never happened before.

Q. In a sense can it get you almost fired up for the rest the tournament, something like that?

ANDY MURRAY: Yeah.

Q. I mean, because you came from behind quite a lot tonight.

ANDY MURRAY: Yeah, I did have to come from behind a lot. Yeah, I think the first round is always tough whoever your playing against, because, I mean, I hadn't practiced at 9:00 at night for a long time and hadn't played in conditions as heavy as that before. Naturally you're not going to be feeling 100% confident going into the match like you do once you get deeper into the tournament. So it gives you more confidence you come through a match like that. Even though you're not maybe playing your best, you still get another chance to do better in the next match, and hopefully when the courts are a little bit quicker.

Q. How do you feel about your next opponent, Wawrinka?

ANDY MURRAY: Yeah, he's one of my best friends on the tour. I was going to play doubles with him this week. Yeah, lost against him a couple times when I was younger, and then I beat him a couple times this year. Always been tough matches. He played very well in Barcelona last week. It's going to be a difficult match. He's a strong guy and hits the ball hard on both wings and serves well, you know, so I'm going to have to change my tactics a little bit and think a little bit clearer out there if I'm going to come through that one.

Q. Do you think clay is one of his better surfaces.

ANDY MURRAY: Yeah, he's had good results on clay. But apart from grass he's played well on most surfaces. He's a pretty solid all courter. He plays good on clay. I don't know. I mean, he's probably a better one to ask, but he does play well on clay and has good results. Probably one of his best surfaces.

Nadal Falls in Rome

ROME (AP)—Rafael Nadal's preparations for a run at a fourth straight French Open title were thrown into disarray Wednesday.

The second-ranked Spaniard lost on clay for only the second time in 105 matches, falling to countryman Juan Carlos Ferrero 7-5, 6-1 in the second round of the Rome Masters.

Nadal's last loss on clay came against Roger Federer in May 2007. Before that, he had won a record 81 consecutive matches on clay, a streak that began in 2005.

He also has a large blister on the bottom of his right foot and only four days to recover for next week's Hamburg Masters.

"Two Masters Series without playing best conditions on clay is going to kill me," Nadal said. "The calendar is impossible."

Nadal had never lost at the Foro Italico, winning the Rome tournament each of the previous three years. The 23rd-ranked Ferrero took the Rome title 2001, two years before he was the French Open champion.

The Rome Masters is an important clay-court warmup for Roland Garros, which begins May 25 with Nadal the three-time defending champion.

"It's one week that he lost, and he will try again to play his level in Hamburg," Ferrero said. "He has a lot of time to prepare for Roland Garros."

Nadal has spoken to ATP president Etienne de Villiers about the crowded schedule, to no avail.

"I'm just going home to rest and prepare for Hamburg," he said.

Nadal called for a trainer late in the second set to treat the blister, which began bothering him Sunday when he won the Barcelona Open. The week before, Nadal won the Monte Carlo Masters.

"Today when I woke up, I said it was impossible to play," Nadal said. "I spoke to the doctor today and yesterday, and they put special protection on it and cream, but it was still tough."

Ferrero, too, was not fully fit. He pulled out of Barcelona last week with a groin problem.

"I felt it again yesterday against Nicolas Kiefer," Ferrero said. "Today they put a bandage and I could move well."

Four other seeded players also were upset in the second round.

Coming off a loss to Nadal in the Barcelona final, fifth-seeded David Ferrer fell to Radek Stepanek 4-6, 6-2, 6-1; Spanish clay-court specialist Nicolas Almagro beat seventh-seeded David Nalbandian 6-4, 7-5; Igor Andreev defeated No. 13 Juan Monaco 4-6, 6-1, 6-4; and Stanislas Wawrinka upset No. 14 Andy Murray 6-2, 7-6 (5).

Murray received treatment for an apparent groin injury.

Third-ranked Novak Djokovic showed no signs of illness when he cruised past Steve Darcis 6-4, 6-0 in his opening match. In Monte Carlo, Djokovic pulled out of his semifinal against Federer after falling behind 6-3, 3-2. Tests revealed a strep throat.

"I finished with my medication yesterday," Djokovic said. "So hopefully now I'll get better in the future."

Also, fourth-seeded Nikolay Davydenko beat Croatian wild card Mario Ancic 6-2, 6-2; No. 8 James Blake held off Andreas Seppi of Italy 7-6 (5), 3-6, 6-1; and No. 12 Fernando Gonzalez, last year's finalist, defeated Russian qualifier Evgeny Korolev 6-3, 6-2.

Ferrero connected on a cross-court backhand winner to break Nadal and win the first set, then broke again to lead 3-1 in the second when Nadal netted a forehand.

“I can’t put the ball long; I can’t put the foot on the floor,” Nadal said. “So every time the ball (went) short.”

With Ferrero ahead 4-1 in the second set, Nadal called for a trainer and had his foot re-taped. After deciding to play, he was broken again. Ferrero served the match out at love.

Nadal routed Ferrero 6-4, 6-1 in the third round in Monte Carlo and had won all four of their previous meetings on clay.

Ferrero reached the top of the rankings in 2003, on the strength of his Roland Garros title and runner-up finish at the U.S. Open. Hampered by injuries, he has finished outside the top 15 every year since 2003.

“It was a very important win for me,” Ferrero said. “I feel special right now. I haven’t had this special feeling for a long time.”

Edited by mauiguy90

EIGHT MEN LEFT, ONLY FOUR WILL GO THROUGH

Preview of the 2008 Internazionali BNL d'Italia quarterfinals Federer-Stepanek

The road is wide open for Roger Federer to go all the way. He will however have to first face Radek Stepanek. The Czech has beaten the Swiss once in 5 confrontations. It was in Gstaad back in 2004. Since then, he's never lost to "Steps" even though he dropped a set to the Czech in the Davis Cup playoff last September in Prague. Federer clearly holds the upperside, especially in the form he's in. Versus Karlovic, Federer displayed amazing quality of return. Granted Stepanek is no Karlovic when it comes to serving but the win over the Croatian has boosted Federer's confidence level on clay and in a Masters-Series

he has yet to win.

Djokovic-Almagro

Nicoals Almagro qualified for the quarters from his couch. Indeed the Spaniard benefited from the withdrawl of Gonzalez to go through. Almagro is also one of the hottest players on tour on clay this year. With 2 wins on the South American tour in Accapulco and Costa Do Sauipe, Almagro will be a major threat to Djokovic. The Serb struggled to overcome Andreev, and his fitness could easily be the key to tomorrow's mathcup. The two have met once in a clay challenger in 2004 in Manerbio (ITA) in 2004. It was Almagro who won in straight sets. Many things have changed since but specialists will tell you that Almagro has a great opportunity to make the semifinals of a Masters-Series event for the 1st time in his career.

Blake-Wawrinka

James Blake is one of two suprise guests of the quarterfinals. By making this stage of the tournament, the American has tied his best performance in a Masters-Seris on clay. Last time he was amongst the last eight was here in Rome in 2002. His win versus Verdasco proves that he has the necessary ressources to perform on, arguably, his least favorite surface. For Wawrinka, reaching the quarters is also a personal best on clay in a Masters-Series. The surface is however much more to his liking as he grew up in clay country (Switzerland). The two have only met once, in the second round of Roland-Garros in 2005.

Wawrinka was down 2 sets to luv before comming back to win in 5. The Swiss just made the semis in Barcelona and seems to be the better player on this surface.

Roddick-Robredo

With James Blake, Andy Roddick is the other "suprise guest" of the quarterfinals. The American has become clay smart. He treated himself to a straight set win over Italian sensation Simone Bolelli. The fact that the 9200 fans of the Stadio Pietrangeli were rooting against him was not even a problem for "Arod". His best result here in Rome is still his shocking semifinal appearance in 2002. Against Robredo, Roddick has never lost, even on clay! Granted it was in 2002 but the "W" still goes in favor of the Davis Cup holder. Robredo's best result in Rome is a quarterfinal. Against Davydenko in 2007, whom he just beat and Roddick in 2002. How we meet again!

Federer Loses to Stepanek in Rome Quarters

ROME (AP)—What was once almost unthinkable in tennis now happens more and more often: Roger Federer loses.

The latest defeat came Friday, a 7-6 (4), 7-6 (7) decision to 27th-ranked Radek Stepanek in the Rome Masters quarterfinals.

This was Federer's sixth loss of the year. The top-ranked Swiss lost only nine matches in all of 2007.

"Usually when I have a lead I don't let it go, so it's quite disappointing," Federer said. "I played so poorly on the big points."

Federer piled up a string of defeats at the beginning of this year when he was diagnosed with mononucleosis. He won his first title of 2008 at the Estoril Open last month, the longest he's waited in nine years.

"He definitely doesn't have the results he was used to in previous years," Stepanek said. "But the other players are getting better. I came to the match with the belief that I can win."

The Czech celebrated his victory by writhing like a caterpillar, with his belly on the clay.

"That was the way I celebrated the first tournament victory of my career," he said. "Everyone was asking me when I would do it again, but I was waiting for the right occasion, and today was special."

In the semifinals, Stepanek will face Australian Open winner Novak Djokovic. He advanced when Nicolas Almagro retired with an apparent wrist problem while the Serb led 6-1, 1-0.

Federer's defeat follows that of three-time defending champion Rafael Nadal. The Spaniard was beaten in the second round by Juan Carlos Ferrero.

"It shows how the (other) players are getting better. Everybody is hungry," Stepanek said. "Two players can't win all the tournaments."

The Rome Masters is a clay-court tuneup for the French Open, which begins May 25. Roland Garros is the only Grand Slam Federer has never won. He has also never won a title in Rome. Last year, Federer was upset in the third round by Italian wild card Filippo Volandri.

In the other half of the draw, sixth-seeded Andy Roddick eliminated No. 14 Tommy Robredo 6-3, 4-6, 7-6 (4) to match his best performance in Rome.

Roddick also reached the semifinals in his debut at the Foro Italico in 2002, losing to Tommy Haas. His semifinal opponent this time will be Stanislas Wawrinka, who rallied past eighth-seeded James Blake 6-7 (5), 7-6 (5), 6-1.

The last American to win in Rome was Andre Agassi in 2002.

Roddick improved to 8-0 against Robredo, rushing the net on both his first and second serves against the Spaniard.

"He's a better clay-court player than I am, so I just attacked and, let's face it, I had to volley better than I have in my whole life," Roddick said.

In the third-set tiebreaker, Roddick overwhelmed Robredo with two aces and converted his first match point after following his second serve to net.

Federer surrendered a 5-2 lead in the second-set tiebreaker, and wasted a set point at 6-5 on Stepanek's serve by hitting into the net. Federer had won four of his previous five meetings with Stepanek, but the pair are now 2-2 on clay. “He’s difficult to play,” Federer said. “He’s always changing his game up a lot. But I’ve played him in the past, so it wasn’t a surprise. I just wish I played better.”

Stepanek converted his second match point with a first serve that Federer couldn’t return. In the first-set tiebreaker, Stepanek took control with a volley to go up 6-4, then served an ace on his first set point.

After his illness, Federer responded by winning Estoril and reaching the final of the Monte Carlo Masters in his last outing, losing to Nadal. Federer pronounced himself fully fit at the beginning of this tournament, and his problem Friday didn’t appear to be physical.

At one stretch of the first set, Federer won four straight service games without losing a point. Still, Stepanek kept up the pressure with his serve and volley.

“If you let him play his game, he can move the ball all around the court,” Stepanek said. “I wanted to keep the pressure on.”

Edited by mauiguy90

STEPANEK STUNS FEDERER

The talented Czech, Radek Stepanek, sends Federer packing It was supposed to be his tournament. With Rafa, Nalbandian and Ferrer out, no one could see how the title could slip away from Roger. No one, except Radek Stepanek. Probably the only man in the Forro Italico to believe in himself. And rightfully so.

In the first set it was Stepanek who played catch-up tennis. Neither player dropped their serve and so the tie-breaker was needed to give the first set advantage. The Swiss was the first to go ahead 2-0. At 3-1 Federer, Radek made his move, seized Roger's serve and went up 4-3 to take the lead for the first time in the match. Federer tied it at 4 but did not score any more points. The breaker and the first set went in favor of the Czech.

In set number 2, it took the world leader 3 games to get on the board. It wasn't until 4-2 Stepanek that Federer was able to break back. He however was not able to follow up and again dropped his serve to give Stepanek a chance to close while serving. This is when the nerves finally hit the Czech who had been up to know "simply en fuego". Nicole Vaidisova's boyfriend was not able to close and this time Federer not only broke, but also consolidated to square it all up at 5. It seemed as though Federer was going to pull off another "Ramirez HIdalgo" (he was down to the Spaniard 5-1 in the third set in the 1st round of Monte-Carlo but managed to win), he was even up 4-1 and serving. Radek then took one of two Federer serves and made it 5-4 Federer. And then 5-5 after a Federer unforced error. The Swiss then went up 6-5 and had a set point on Stepaneks serve. Saved! It was then "Step's" turn to get a first match point but on the Swiss serve. Saved! 2 points later another match point but this time with the serving advantage. And what an advantage it was. Game set and match Stepanek!!!

Next round is the winner of the night session match between Djokovic and Almagro.

RODDICK BACK IN ROME SEMIS

In 2002 Arod made the semis here , he's back! Tommy Robredo must feel cursed. In eight confrontations with Andy Roddick, the Spaniard has yet to win once. He thought that today would be his best shot. Turn's out Andy Roddick is now a (very) happy camper on clay.

The American once again displayed some great clay court tennis, backed up with some solid serving in the money time. In the opening set Roddick broke Robredo in the opener and immediately consolidated the break to take a 2-0 lead. With the quality of his first serve, Roddick sat on this "cushion" to capture the first set 6-4.

The Spaniard was ready for another 3 set battle. After losening up he was able to express himself using his weapons to counter punch the Roddick bombs. Robredo found his footing, which he was unable to tam ein the first set. Feeling confident, and noticing that the momentum had slightly shifted, Robredo was just waiting for the Roddick "faux pas" on serve. This happened when the Spaniard was returning at 5-4. Robredo 6-4

The final set promised to be nervracking, for both players and fans. Everybody was waiting for Roddick to slow down and Robredo to speed up and take command. But the American did not conceed an inch of terrain. Serves were held and it was again a tie-breaker that would decide whom of Roddick or Robredo went through to the semis. Robredo began serving and had an unfored error to give Roddick the mini break. That was all he needed. Roddick closed with an overhead to take the breaker 7-4.

Andy Roddick will face Stanislas Wawrinka in an all new semifinal.

ANDY RODDICK PULLS OUT OF SEMIFINAL VERSUS WAWRINKA

Stanislas Wawrinka qualifies for the final after 3 games Down 2-0 30 all Andy Roddick make a run to his forehand on the deuce court. He blocks his slide and injurs his back. the American loses the next point and asks for medical treatment at the change of side. the injury is to painful and does not allow Roddick to serve. His attempt confirms the verdict. The American retires and sends Wawrinka in to the final.

The Swiss never even broke a sweat. He reaches the final of a Masters-Series event for the first time of his career and will be the 2nd Swiss top 10 player on Monday.

Roddick and Stepanek Quit; Wawrinka and Djokovic to Meet in Finals

ROME (AP)—The biggest losers at the Rome Masters on Saturday were the fans.

One after the other, Andy Roddick and Radek Stepanek quit shortly after their semifinal matches began.

Roddick pulled out with a back problem after falling behind 3-0 in the first set against Stanislas Wawrinka. Stepanek stopped while trailing Novak Djokovic 6-0, 1-0 after appearing affected by the heat.

Total elapsed time for the two matches: a wimpy 49 minutes.

“You don’t want to have these kind of situations at big events,” said Djokovic, who joined the chorus of players complaining that the schedule is too tough.

“The players are not getting injured for nothing, you know. There is a big reason why they’re having these difficulties. I understand that because I was in that situation many times.”

At the Monte Carlo Masters last month, Djokovic pulled out of his semifinal match against top-ranked Roger Federer with a sore throat.

Stepanek called for a trainer after the first set and had ice applied to his neck. He retired after one game in the second.

“I started feeling bad for the first time after practice this morning, and then I ate lunch and was feeling a little better,” Stepanek said. “Once the match started, however, I started feeling worse and worse. I was dizzy and weak and couldn’t play.”

Roddick pulled up awkwardly after Wawrinka hit a forehand winner in the third game, then asked for a trainer on the changeover. He came back out and double-faulted, then quit.

“I felt a little something last night in my back when I was getting treatment. Then, one wrong movement and I had a complete spasm,” Roddick said. “I can’t really move my left arm right now. You can’t really play around that.”

Injuries have been a common theme all week at the Foro Italico.

Three-time defending champion Rafael Nadal suffered from a blister on his right foot in a second-round loss to Juan Carlos Ferrero.

Fernando Gonzalez, last year’s finalist, pulled out of his third-round match with Nicolas Almagro citing a right leg injury, and Almagro withdrew in the quarterfinals against Djokovic with a wrist problem.

Argentine qualifier Juan Martin Del Potro withdrew in the first round against Andy Murray.

Five withdrawals set the record for the Rome tournament.

The ATP said it marked the first time in the history of the Masters Series that both semifinals ended with withdrawals. Tour officials could not say if it had ever happened in another tournament.

There have been some notable retirements in finals, with Justine Henin’s withdrawal against Amelie Mauresmo in the 2006 Australian Open the most recent example. Henin pulled out while trailing 6-1, 2-0.

“It happens once in a while, but never anything like this—a tournament without semifinals,” said American tennis commentator Bud Collins, who attends the Rome tournament every year.

Collins pointed to the 1931 Wimbledon final, which was supposed to be an all-American matchup between Sidney Wood and Frank Shields. Shields injured his ankle in the semifinals and wanted to play the final, but his Davis Cup captain wouldn’t let him so he could recover for a match the following week.

Davis Cup since has taken a back seat to the Grand Slams for most players, who complain now that there simply are too many tournaments and virtually no offseason. This year’s schedule is even more cramped because of the Olympics. “I’ve been saying for years: I think the schedule needs to be adjusted, and there needs to be a little bit of time to recover at the end of the year,” Roddick said.

“I think this week it’s probably coincidental. You can go a week without anybody doing it, and this week there was three or four. I put that up to coincidence.”

Fans started whistling and booing after the day’s second retirement, and an announcement was made that those in attendance would get 50 percent off tickets for next week’s women’s tournament.

However, the top-ranked Henin already has withdrawn from the women’s event, citing fatigue.

In the meantime, there is still the men’s final Sunday. Djokovic holds a 3-2 career edge over Wawrinka, who won their only previous matchup on clay two years ago—when Djokovic withdrew with breathing problems.

Number 2 But For How Long?

Rome

Singles - final

[3] Novak Djokovic d Stanislas Wawrinka 4-6 6-3 6-3

The world just keeps getting more interesting. We've now played five required events this year, and Novak Djokovic has won three (Australian Open, Indian Wells, Rome), with Rafael Nadal owning one of the leftovers (Monte Carlo) and Nikolay Davydenko the other (Miami); Roger Federer still doesn't have any.

But what is really interesting is the contest for No.2. We show Djokovic a mere 310 points behind Rafael Nadal in that contest. And Nadal has finalist points to defend at Hamburg, and Djokovic has only quarterfinal points. They are drawn to meet in the semifinal. And if they do meet, and Djokovic wins, then Nadal will lose 125 points, and Djokovic will increase his total by 225. Total: 350. That's more than a 310 point shift toward Djokovic. So he would be No.2.

There are, of course, other ways Djokovic could become No.2 at Hamburg; for example, if he repeats his quarterfinal showing and Nadal loses his opener. But wouldn't it be dramatic if they played in the semifinal for the No.2 ranking? Plus Djokovic would just about have to make the Hamburg final to have any shot at No.1 at Roland Garros.

The situation in the ATP Race is also noteworthy. Rafael Nadal had briefly passed him at Barcelona, but this puts Djokovic back on top with 476 Race points (equivalent of 2380 Entry points). There is an interesting sidelight there: Djokovic is showing a strange tendency to win early or collapse. He has seven events this year. He has won three, for a total of 2000 points. In the other four, he is 7-4 with two losses to players ranked below No.25 and a mere 380 Entry points. He's definitely saving it for the big ones!

The significance of those 476 Race points is this: last year, the No.8 guy in the Race had only 366 Race points after Paris. If Djokovic were not to play another event between now and Paris, he would still have been No.5 in last year's Race. This title clearly assures that he will qualify for the Masters Cup. The ATP's conservative qualification algorithm may not declare him qualified for a few weeks (we've never quite figured out how it works), but he's in.

Stanislas Wawrinka has a chance, too. Even though he lost the final, he is at a career-high No.10. He hasn't won a title this year, but his record is now 19-10, and our in-the-head calculation shows him at No.10 in the Race. And he has only one win (a second round showing at Roland Garros) to defend between now and Stuttgart in late July. Chances are he'll go higher, in the rankings at least, before he goes lower.

Though, it would really help if he could learn a way to win finals. It's fascinating to note that Wawrinka's only title came at Umag in 2006, and his opponent there was Djokovic. But Djokovic retired from that match. Wawrinka has lost his other five finals.

Doubles - final

[1] Bob Bryan/Mike Bryan d [2] Daniel Nestor/Nenad Zimonjic 3-6 6-4 [10-8]

It took a while, but it has finally happened – the twins are back on top of the Race. And No.1 in the rankings still, of course. It's a precarious perch in this extremely unpredictable year, but given that they have been steadily climbing the Race standings, you have to think they are in a good position to stay at the top.

Nenad Zimonjic was last year's champion, with Fabrice Santoro. He has been falling almost since the moment the two broke up. He came in at No.8, but it appears this will leave him barely clinging to the top 10.

With this title, which had eluded them until this year, the Bryans have now managed the amazing feat of winning, at some time in their careers, all four Slams, the year-end championships, and eight of the nine Masters series, lacking only the one in their backyard – Indian Wells.

It's hard to put a feat like that in perspective, since the Masters Series is a recent invention – but we can say this: not even the Woodies, the only other great long-time doubles team in position to try for the feat, came close. The Woodies together never won Monte Carlo, Rome, the Canadian Open, or Paris, and even individually, they didn't have as many as eight different Masters. Winning their eighth different Masters is quite a feat for this year's champions.

Bob said after the match, "It's very tough, each one of these Masters Series is very different and different conditions, different food, different balls, different courts. You know, to finish our career having all of them would be something special." It's hard to imagine anyone arguing that!

Djokovic Rallies to Rome Championship

ROME (AP)—Having already displayed his prowess on hard courts this season, Novak Djokovic is showing he's capable of dominating on clay, too.

Djokovic won the 10th title of his career Sunday, rallying to beat unseeded Stanislas Wawrinka 4-6, 6-3, 6-3 at the Rome Masters.

"I was aiming for Rome and Roland Garros as my two priorities on clay courts this season," Djokovic said. "Now I have more confidence approaching big events on clay, and other surfaces as well."

This tournament was an important warmup for the French Open, which begins in two weeks.

The third-ranked Djokovic won the Australian Open in January for his first Grand Slam tournament title, then captured the Masters Series event in Indian Wells, Calif., in March.

Djokovic's third victory of 2008 will move him within 310 points of second-ranked Rafael Nadal in the ATP rankings.

"This year has been like a dream for me, but I want to continue. I want to finish the year as No. 1—in the race," Djokovic said with a big grin, as if he were amused at his own precociousness.

Djokovic is already on top of the ATP Race rankings, which coincide with the actual rankings at the end of the year.

Djokovic, who will turn 21 later this month, has been winning more than Nadal and top-ranked Roger Federer lately. He reached his first Grand Slam final at the U.S. Open to end 2007, and has followed his win at Melbourne by taking two of the four Masters Series events so far this year.

Nadal was upset by Juan Carlos Ferrero in the second round in Rome, and Federer fell to Radek Stepanek in the quarterfinals.

"Everybody got used to Federer and Nadal playing the finals of every major event," Djokovic said. "Mentally, they're struggling because there is so much pressure and so much expectation that they have to be in the final on every surface and in every tournament that they play."

Djokovic faced pressure Sunday as the favorite against Wawrinka, who was playing his first Masters Series final.

"If I really want to stay on the top of men's tennis, I need to get used to those things," Djokovic said.

Djokovic improved to 8-1 on clay this season and 25-5 overall. At the Monte Carlo Masters last month, Djokovic retired from his semifinal match with Federer due to strep throat.

The Serb had no health problems this week, although other players did.

Both Djokovic and Wawrinka advanced to the final when their semifinal opponents retired. First, Andy Roddick pulled out with a back problem against Wawrinka, then Stepanek quit with apparent heat stroke against Djokovic.

Djokovic's quarterfinal opponent, Nicolas Almagro, also withdrew with a wrist problem.

Djokovic did not face a seeded player all week, registering wins against Steve Darcis and Igor Andreev in his opening two matches.

Despite the loss, Wawrinka will move to 10th when the new rankings come out Monday. With Federer, it will mark the first time two Swiss players have been in the top 10.

“I’m a little surprised,” said Wawrinka, who entered the week ranked 24th. “It’s a big jump for me.”

The 22-year-old Wawrinka was the French Open junior champion in 2003.

Djokovic broke Wawrinka’s serve in the opening game of the third set when Wawrinka hit a backhand long after a 20-stroke rally.

Trailing 2-3 in the third, Wawrinka called for a trainer and had his lower back treated. He came back and didn’t appear to struggle, but Djokovic maintained his lead and broke again to close out the match in a little more than 2 hours.

“He’s always staying in the game,” Wawrinka said. “It doesn’t matter what the score is or what has happened in the game, he’s always staying (focused) and trying.”

After losing the first set, Djokovic started attacking the net more.

“That’s what I’ve been working on the last couple of months—varying my game more so I can go to the net and stay back, play defensively and offensively at the same time,” he said.

Both players committed 33 unforced errors, but Djokovic led 29-18 in winners.

“This is one of the best tournaments I’ve won,” Djokovic said in fluent Italian after receiving the winner’s trophy from four-time Rome champion Gabriela Sabatini.

Djokovic was asked on the victory stand to perform his renowned imitations of other players. He declined, later explaining that he didn’t like it when other players looked at the imitations “negatively.”

“This is not what I do best. What I do best is I win on the court in tennis,” Djokovic said. “That’s what I’ll try to do in the next 10, 15 years.”

Edited by mauiguy90

Hewitt Decision to Play Majors by Week End

A frustrated Lleyton Hewitt won’t know for a few more days whether or not a hip injury will force him out of the French Open and possibly even Wimbledon.

A worst case scenario on Australia’s top player’s hip injury would be that it kept him out of the entire grasscourt season.

Hewitt has been consulting daily with the doctor for the Optus Australian Davis Cup team, Dr David Brooks, and also saw a specialist at North Shore Private Hospital today for some more tests. The former world number one is hopeful of a return to the tour sooner rather than later.

“The hip is starting to feel a little better but I’m yet to fully test it out on court,” Hewitt said this afternoon.

“The specialist did a couple more tests today but the results won’t be back for a few days. Once I get those I can make a decision on the French Open and the grasscourt season.”

After a strong showing during the 2007 claycourt season and last year’s French Open, Hewitt was very much looking forward to returning to the European clay. Instead, the hip injury has sidelined him for the past month.

“He is doing everything in his power to compete in both Grand Slam tournaments,” Hewitt’s manager David Drysdale said.

“Grand Slams are well and truly the highlight of a tennis player’s year, particularly an athlete as competitive as Lleyton. He hasn’t given up on them, but is just frustrated that he can’t be already out there competing and preparing,” he explained.

Once he gets the results of the latest medical tests at the end of the week, Hewitt is expected to make a decision on a date for his return to the tour.

Federer faces an indefatigable foe: time

By Roy S. Johnson

Question: Many people say that this year is the beginning of the end. What do you think?

Roger Federer: Next question, please.

If it was just that easy. If it was that easy for the best tennis player of our generation – and maybe all time – to dispose of the question as surgically as he has so many opponents. But he can't.

Roger Federer can't put away the question like an easy overhead or one of his brilliant, laser-like forehands. Not now. Not after losing nearly as many matches so far this year (six) as he lost all of last year (nine).

Federer has been the world's best tennis player for so long (since Feb. 2, 2004 for a record 224 straight weeks) most tennis fans can't remember the last name to sit atop the game (Andy Roddick). Moreover, he's been all but unbeatable by almost anyone not named Nadal. Not anymore.

Federer's "lost to" list now reads like a "Who's that?

Andy Murray. Mardy Fish (in straight sets). Radek Stepanek. Each of them has dispatched Roger this year, the latter having ousted him before the weekend in Rome last week.

Without a doubt, the question of the tennis summer will be the very same one fired at Federer following his loss to Stepanek last week: Is this the beginning of the end?

And Federer won't be able to dodge it for long.

The answer depends on how you define "the end." It may very well be "the end" of the Invincible Federer. His losses have mostly diminished his most potent weapon: fear.

Opponents who once entered matches against Federer hoping to avoid a bagel and leave the court with their dignity. now say, "If Andy Murray, Mardy Fish and Radek Stepanek can do it …"

Serbia's Janko Tipsarevic, who took Federer to five sets at the Australian Open in January, said afterwards: "People need to understand Roger Federer is human and is beatable. He feels the pressure."

That said, Federer's "human" is not exactly, say, 50th-ranked Fabrice Santoro's "human," although some of Federer's early defeats this year can be attributed to a bout with mononucleosis.

Now, despite the recent defeats, Federer will still be favored in any tournament he enters, except for the Nadal Open (aka the French Open). And he is in no danger of losing his status as No. 1 anytime soon. He is only 26, which is a bit too early to be experiencing any significantly diminished skills. He still plays with grace and assassin-like precision.

Sure, Bjorn Borg shocked us by retiring at 26. But most of the major champions over the last quarter century won additional majors in their late 20s and beyond. Federer still has a major in him, or three.

Now if you define "the end" with a bit more subtlety, then, yes, the end is nigh. Federer is not only no longer invincible, but he also has a true giant killer nipping at his heels. And like David with his slingshot, he will likely connect with the final, conquering blow.

Novak Djokovic, another Serb, lies in waiting – and he is impatient. He has already beaten Federer, and he possesses the kind of weapons and guile that can send an icon into retirement.

Here is what I think: By the end of the year, Djokovic will have supplanted Nadal at No. 2, and by this time next year he could very well be No. 1 – or as close as anyone has been in a while.

Before losing in Rome, Federer was feeling pretty good about his game. "I think I was lacking matches at one stage, when I lost in the first round of Dubai," he said. "Now, I'm again back in my stride and feel like I'm playing well and nothing ever happened."

Well it has, and Federer cannot run away from it.

Twins help 2 escape hotel fire

4 hours, 14 minutes ago

BORDEAUX, France (AP)—Twin brothers who play professional tennis as a doubles team helped the wife and son of another doubles player escape from a hotel fire.

Sanchai and Sonchat Ratiwatana of Thailand were making their way through thick, black smoke to exit their hotel when they heard someone calling for them.

It was the wife of Lucas Arnold Ker, who like the twins is in town for a Challenger Series tournament.

"After we got out of the room, we made some noise: 'Is somebody still here?"' Sanchai said in a telephone interview Tuesday. "She called, 'This way! this way!"'

The twins, who have won two titles on the ATP tour and expect to play at the French Open later this month, entered the room and found Arnold Ker's wife and son.

"First, she wanted to use the blanket to go out the window," Sanchai said. "But I said, 'We can find the exit."'

Sanchai said they left the room and re-entered the smoke-filled hallway with wet towels wrapped around the heads of the woman and boy. They then saw someone open the fire exit door, and the four got out safely.

"OK, maybe we helped her, but she helped us," Sanchai said. "If she didn't call us, maybe we wouldn't have found the exit. She saved our lives also."

The brothers later learned that the fire started in another room on the third floor. No one was hurt, Sanchai said.

"I think we were the last to get out of the building," Sanchai said.

It was unclear how the Monday morning fire started, and the brothers have since moved to a room in another building in the same hotel complex.

After the fire, the Thai twins went ahead with business as usual, heading to the practice courts. And on Tuesday, they won their opening match at the tournament.

Edited by mauiguy90

#1 Henin Retires Immediately

LIMELETTE, Belgium (AP)—Justine Henin retired from tennis Wednesday, an abrupt ending to a short and successful career in which she won seven Grand Slam singles titles and leaves while ranked No. 1.

The 25-year-old Belgian made the surprising announcement at a news conference Wednesday, less than two weeks before the start of the French Open. She has won that clay-court major championship four times, including each of the past three years.

“This is the end of a child’s dream,” Henin said. “This is a definitive decision. Those who know me know it is serious.”

Her announcement came a day after one of the greatest female golfers in history said she’s walking away: Annika Sorenstam, owner of 10 major titles and one of six women to complete a career Grand Slam in her sport, is retiring at the end of the season.

Henin, though, won’t have any sort of farewell tour. She is quitting immediately.

Henin won 10 tournaments last year, but has been in one of the worst slumps of her career this season. She lost last week in the third round of the German Open and pulled out of this week’s Italian Open, citing fatigue.

“I thought long about this,” Henin said, her voice cracking and eyes watering. “I started thinking about it late last year. I was at the end of the road. I leave with my head held high.”

Last year, Kim Clijsters—another Belgian who reached No. 1 and won a Grand Slam title—retired from tennis at 23. She has since married and become a mother.

The 5-foot-5 3/4 , 126-pound Henin overcame her slender build and a litany of injuries to dominate tennis for long stretches, thanks to a superb one-handed backhand, impressive court coverage and grit.

In 2006, she reached the finals of every Grand Slam tournament. In 2007, she sat out the Australian Open in January while going through a divorce, then returned to the tour and won the French Open and U.S. Open, eight other tournaments and more than $5 million.

However, after winning her home tournament in Antwerp in February, she has failed to go beyond the quarterfinals at any other event this season.

Henin’s year began with a 6-4, 6-0 loss to Maria Sharapova in the Australian Open quarterfinals in January, followed by a 6-2, 6-0 drubbing by Serena Williams at the Sony Ericsson Open in April, the worst loss for a top-ranked player in nine years.

At last week’s German Open, Henin lost 5-7, 6-3, 6-1 to Dinara Safina.

“She finds it tough, losing matches she normally would not lose,” Belgian Fed Cup captain Sabine Appelmans said.

In addition to her French Open titles, Henin won the Australian Open in 2004, and the U.S. Open in 2003 and 2007. The only Grand Slam title to elude her was Wimbledon, where she was the runner-up in 2001 and 2006.

Henin, who earned nearly $20 million in career prize money, has been ranked No. 1 since Nov. 13, 2006, except for a seven-week period last year when Sharapova held the top spot.

“Justine Henin will be remembered as one of the all-time great champions in women’s tennis, and a woman who made up for her lack of size with a will to win and fighting spirit that was second to none,” WTA Tour CEO Larry Scott said. “It is rare that an athlete leaves at the very top of her game in this day and age, but Justine has always played by her own rules, in the very best sense of those words.”