Fire In My Condo

ajarnmark

This evening a black thick smoke came out from one room at 11th floor. Some motorbike guys saw the smoke and informed the guard. Guard immediately took the steps and within 5 minutes the condo was filled with all types of personnel. First came police then ambulance then rescue workers and then fire engines. Guards of the building set off the alarm and cut the electricity supply and turned on the generators for the lifts, I dont know why? :o

One guard went up and start putting water on fire from the 12th floor. Another guard finally broke in the room and spraying the water on fire. The fire was controlled within 15 minutes without any major damages apparently. However, I observed following:

1. Many residents refuse to come out as there were at least 2 false alarms set off earlier in the past 2 years.

2. Burmese people came out with a bag, containing their valuables and passport (I later came to know that they take care of their passport more than their lives)

3. Thai put the make up and put the proper dress and came out.

4. Fire engines were set up properly and ready to deal with any situation, within 2 minutes of their arrival.

All in all, a brilliant performance from all Thai personnel. :D

Nice to hear something positive about the Thais. I know in Hong Kong everybody is absolutely paranoid about fires and they are always on the lookout and very efficient.

People wouldn't leave their apartments due to two previous false alarms................ Darwin here we come.

You told what others did when the alarm sounded...... what did you do? :D

I was going out when I saw the smoke and then came back to see if I can do anything. :D

Similar story in my old condo in Pattaya, fire brigade n the scene fast and efficiently.

But what I thought was amusing was the fire brigade using buckets of water to put out a fire originating from a TV.

I've always been told NEVER put water on an electrical fire?

Yes, if you cut the electricity mains, then you can use water on electrical equipment.

However, if these equipment are still live, then you can be electrocuted. :o

Pease don't be convinced by the Thai rescue services effiency, Im glad to see there have been some positive experiences on this thread mine however wasnt so good. I was in a hotel in pattaya a few xmas's ago that caught ablaze.

1. There were no fire alarms.

2. No fire extinguishers in the hotel.

3. The fire Brigade showed up 30 minutes after fire started.

4. The fire brigade entered the building 1 hour after fire started.

5. The fire brigade were badly equipped.

Upon looking out of my balcony it dawned on me that if i were in England the recue services would no doubt save me however i knew that being in Thailand i would have to save myself. I was a serving Royal Marine at the time so scaling down 4 floors wasnt a problem, there was however plenty of guests less fortunate than me who were hospitalized and possibly died.

Im not bashing the Thai rescue services here, i know they do the best they can with the limited equipment and training they have. My only advice to people living or visiting here is take all the safety measures you can, when staying in a hotel are there sufficient fire exits and maps?, extinguishers?, Try to stay as near to the ground floor as possible. In the home use fire alarms, turn off all electrical equipment when leaving the house etc. Without going into past experiences too much i've been in a few life threatening incidents in my life and without doubt being in a fire in Thailand was one of the times i was most scared. Take as much safety precaution as possible and never expect the best response from the Thai rescue services.

Pease don't be convinced by the Thai rescue services effiency, Im glad to see there have been some positive experiences on this thread mine however wasnt so good. I was in a hotel in pattaya a few xmas's ago that caught ablaze.

1. There were no fire alarms.

2. No fire extinguishers in the hotel.

3. The fire Brigade showed up 30 minutes after fire started.

4. The fire brigade entered the building 1 hour after fire started.

5. The fire brigade were badly equipped.

Upon looking out of my balcony it dawned on me that if i were in England the recue services would no doubt save me however i knew that being in Thailand i would have to save myself. I was a serving Royal Marine at the time so scaling down 4 floors wasnt a problem, there was however plenty of guests less fortunate than me who were hospitalized and possibly died.

Im not bashing the Thai rescue services here, i know they do the best they can with the limited equipment and training they have. My only advice to people living or visiting here is take all the safety measures you can, when staying in a hotel are there sufficient fire exits and maps?, extinguishers?, Try to stay as near to the ground floor as possible. In the home use fire alarms, turn off all electrical equipment when leaving the house etc. Without going into past experiences too much i've been in a few life threatening incidents in my life and without doubt being in a fire in Thailand was one of the times i was most scared. Take as much safety precaution as possible and never expect the best response from the Thai rescue services.

Two years ago two fire engines raced to our condo to a bad fire on the seventh floor and not one ladder between them, I kid you not. :o

Glad to hear the good news and that everybody's okay.

I keep a dry fire extingusher under my sink for elecrical and grease fires (I do cook, so water is not an option for most cooking fires.) They can be found in most hardware stores and also are good for car fires.

I'm surprised as I had my students try using a fire extinguisher (the day before they were to be recharged) and the idea of fire safety seemed like a very foreign concept to them. Maybe that's why modern buildings are cement.