Buzzing Floursecent Light

ozymandious

change the starter. Its a small cylindrical object about 25mm x 18mm diameter. It twists off and has bayonet fitings. If that fails then you might need to change the tube itself. A new starter is about 20bht.

post-43188-1200375825.jpg

Edited by TommyGun

If it's buzzing it's most likely the ballast. That's the rectangular box in the fitting usually white in colour. It will have a lead with a small plug on the end that goes to the tube.

Turn off the power before doing anything, best to turn off the main switch as light switches are often incorrectly wired in the neutral.

Remove the incoming power wires and tape the ends (then you can turn the juice back on). Remove the ballast (you may have to take the fitting off the ceiling) noting where any other wires go (possibly to the starter) and take it to your local electrical outlet, they will provide a new one of the correct type. At the same time buy a new tube and starter if your fitting has one (some don't).

EDIT When you remove the ballast leave the lead and plug to the tube attached, the correct units for the circular tubes usually come with this lead already attached.

Reverse the dismantling process (remembering to turn off the power before touching the supply wires!!).

Presto, no buzz :o

Edited by Crossy

You have one good light and one bad light.....if you want to know which part of the bad light is bad swap one part between the lights (the starter for instance as its usually an easy one to remove/replace) and see if the "badness" has moved from one light to the other....if it has then the part you swapped is the culpret. If the first part you swap is the culprit then you are in luck...if not then continue with the other parts until you find the fault.

Chownah

Have same round flouro's in a couple of rooms in my house.

What would an intermittent buzzing signify?

Silent most of the time, & an occasional horribly annoying buzz that comes & goes without turning the switch on & off?

Assuming it's a 50/100Hz buzz then it's likely loose laminations in the ballast core, used to have one that buzzed occasionally and stopped when thumped (engineering fix).

• 2 weeks later...
I just completed our bann 6 days ago. We used brand new florescent & have 2 out of 8 that buzzes. Is the wiring perhaps out of phase in these 2?

It's unlikely to be a wiring fault, more probably low-cost / defective fittings although it would be wise to check the grounding anyway. If the buzz is excessive take them back for replacement or replace the ballasts if it's going to be a pain to remove the fittings, for total silence, better energy efficiency and longer tube life use electronic ballasts.

I don't know about Thailand, but in the UK fluorescent fittings come in several 'noise' grades, domestic are supposedly very quiet whereas those for industrial use can be made more cheaply as a bit of buzz will be lost in a factory environment.

there are many nice places around that don't include buzzing in the bedrooms.

I used to hear a Buzzing noise coming from my bedroom, when I went to see where the noise was coming from, the buzzing would stop and my breathless ex wife would say it must be the light fittings.

Funny thing was, we never had flourescent lights! :o

Edited by Maigo6

I just completed our bann 6 days ago. We used brand new florescent & have 2 out of 8 that buzzes. Is the wiring perhaps out of phase in these 2?

It's unlikely to be a wiring fault, more probably low-cost / defective fittings although it would be wise to check the grounding anyway. If the buzz is excessive take them back for replacement or replace the ballasts if it's going to be a pain to remove the fittings, for total silence, better energy efficiency and longer tube life use electronic ballasts.

I don't know about Thailand, but in the UK fluorescent fittings come in several 'noise' grades, domestic are supposedly very quiet whereas those for industrial use can be made more cheaply as a bit of buzz will be lost in a factory environment.

Thanks again Crossy. I thought with the cheap price for components in Thailand it would not be uncommon to get a lower grade part opposed to the electricians work as he was a very good tradesman. I will try swapping the starter & then the ballast with one of the good lights & take it from there. the only one that really needs the work is the internet room- I can live with the outside as I do not here it unless I seek it out.

Assuming it's a 50/100Hz buzz then it's likely loose laminations in the ballast core, used to have one that buzzed occasionally and stopped when thumped (engineering fix).

If something more permanent than a thump is required, fit a new ballast, if the new ballast is just a cheap and nasty as the last and also buzzzzes after a while it is possible to reduce (cure) the loose wire windings within the ballast by very gently cooking the ballast in a pot of melted candle wax. (Professional cure would be using a lacquer - but unless you have access to a transformer factory - candle wax works.) Works on clock/radio transformers that humm to themselves depriving me of sleep, well it used to deprive me of sleep!

If something more permanent than a thump is required, fit a new ballast, if the new ballast is just a cheap and nasty as the last and also buzzzzes after a while it is possible to reduce (cure) the loose wire windings within the ballast by very gently cooking the ballast in a pot of melted candle wax. (Professional cure would be using a lacquer - but unless you have access to a transformer factory - candle wax works.) Works on clock/radio transformers that humm to themselves depriving me of sleep, well it used to deprive me of sleep!

Whilst I'm quite sure this would work. Be aware that some of these ballasts get very hot, and candle wax both melts at a low temperature (and thus will flow back out) and is also more than somewhat flammable (non-flammable would sort of defeat the candle principle).

Could cost you a whole lot more than a new electronic ballast :o

For a small transformer I would agree with Cuban, they don't get particularly warm, good fix :D