Would I Get A Credit Card

bkkperson

Hi Guys,

Iv been working for my employer for around 6 months unofficaly and 3 months with a work permit, they are looking for me to travel back to UK for business at various times so im looking at applying for a Credit Card purely for expenses...

Iv got about 4 months with salary banking activity + permit + visa + married..

Am i likely to get a credit card and if so who is a good one with a nice credit limit to use im currently with SCB

Thanks

My bf who is Thai told me he got his one after 3 months of working at Mahankorn University.

They'll contact your employer, apparently.

SCB will give credit card with work permit - but you have to push and insist that you don't want a secured credit card. I have a 100,000 limit, which they have doubled temporary when I go on vacation by just calling them. Bangkok bank where I have the majority of my savings denied me one originally but then I applied to SCB. Amercian Express Thailand will issue both their credit card and charge card quite easily. Pm me if you want my AX sales executive who u can call directly.

Most of the major shopping malls around Bangkok now have "pretties" pushing credit cards and farangs are definitely high up in their target market. However you'll need a lot of paperwork from your employer. Pay slips are a must. Not sure if you'll be successful at the first attempt with only 3 months of a work permit.

Amex is good. They can issue you with a standard card fairly easily based on my wife's experience (she's not Thai). But getting a visa card of you can might be best. A significant minority of places in the west don't like AMEX.

My bf who is Thai told me he got his one after 3 months of working at Mahankorn University.

They'll contact your employer, apparently.

SCB will give credit card with work permit - but you have to push and insist that you don't want a secured credit card. I have a 100,000 limit, which they have doubled temporary when I go on vacation by just calling them. Bangkok bank where I have the majority of my savings denied me one originally but then I applied to SCB. Amercian Express Thailand will issue both their credit card and charge card quite easily. Pm me if you want my AX sales executive who u can call directly.

I was looking to get an Amex card last year (after being bombarded with their invitations to do so) and despite being able to show an income of between 800K - 1.0 mil / mth they didn't want to know. I might front up to their office and eye ball them over the counter.

The problem I find is that you generally only get to talk to the underlings and the senior staff just don't want to talk to you.

AND they would rather give them out to Thai's who have a shocking record of defaulting on their debts.

Anyways I have had a gold Amex for 28 years from my home country so screw the Thai Amex version. It would have been convenient though.

...just my two bits: i know of many cases where european companys won´t accept _any_ credit cards issued in thailand because of a fraud risk.

for example: my collegues tried to pay their flight tickets online, but the flight company didn´t accept thai ccs. so i paid for them with my european card, which was no problem.

i think it´s really sad it goes this way :o