Maxnet In Chaing Mai

ricklev

For a year my internet was usually fast enough to use and download from newsgroups. The last three weeks international bandwidth has been (literally) useless even for web browsing and checking email during the day. (30-40 kbs)

Maxnet tells me there is nothing wrong with anything and they will not do anything to improve my bandwidth because my 1000 baht per month only buys Thai connectivity and any international bandwidth I get is a bonus. Really that's what they said.

If I want to access internet sites outside of Thailand between 7am-3am they tell me I must upgrade to an international service package at $$$$. Really.

So do I have any options for another company on a TOT line. I know its all luck as to whether it will be any better but I may as well try. I'm close to CMU in a condo, but no True Cable access.

Everyone time the speed goes down I call the helpline (in Thai) and they must tweak something, because it always comes back up again and sometimes get a better speed than what I pay for.

Me thinks Thai and English helplines are on a different wavelength. :o

Everyone time the speed goes down I call the helpline (in Thai) and they must tweak something, because it always comes back up again and sometimes get a better speed than what I pay for.

Me thinks Thai and English helplines are on a different wavelength. :o

Exactly the same experience here.

FWIW:

Isps In Chiang Mai, Which one is the best?

Max-net Sucks!, Last few weeks

Forum search

JxP

Except for the fact that it cuts out a few times a day I think TOT is much better than Maxnet. For some reason TT&T phone lines are at a huge disadvantage (and always have been) to TOT phone lines when it comes to the internet. I get pretty good throughput. My torrents are often blazingly fast.

I've got me ji-net. I only know of them because they used to have the best deals on dial-up cards/minutes back when I had dial up many yrs ago. I pay 1350 a month for low sharing rate of line and have great speed/service 98% of the time. And I download torrents all the time. Maybe a few bad hrs on one day per month. I pay monthly and am not sworn to a contract. I can pick up n go any time I like. I've heard maxnet is cheap but sometimes they will limit your ability to download torrents

I got myself signed up thru a biz called Siam Info on the top floor of Panthip Plaza, over by the escalators and next to/ across from the circular rail that looks onto the big drop down to the exhibition floor down below. They are always friendly n prompt and speak pretty good Eng. Another benefit is that I can now pay my bill at any BKK bank around town. Tres convenient!

I just punched into their website and it looks like they've got even better deals now if you sign up for a 3 mo package. Gonna haveta go investigate that. http://www.ji-net.com/home/indexget.php?pid=3

Did just test my connectivity too. I got 211 kb download and 93 upload. I think that's small compared to what some ppl have reported here in other threads, but I've always doubted it was true or lasts long. All I know is that my service is totally reliable and I can download a 1/2 -1 hr show in about 3 hrs. Maybe less. Anybody else got stats to compare: reliability, speed, price ?

And it goes without saying.... that for LESS THAN this price I'd have real DSL back home without any problems ever. But TIT etc. Some day........

I do have Maxnet with a TOT line.

I just changed to "Premier" service. Maybe that will make a difference. For about 6 months I was reliably downloading at 265 kbs. If I can get back to half that I will be happy.

Thanks for the suggestions......

I have Maxnet Premierand pay B 1,100 per month net.

and here is my latest down/up load test speeds, not quick but better after they doubled it in sept 07.

Last Result:

Download Speed: 959 kbps (119.9 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 126 kbps (15.8 KB/sec transfer rate)

"Download Speed: 959 kbps (119.9 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 126 kbps (15.8 KB/sec transfer rate)"

Man DonnyB, I read posts like yours n start to think I've picked wrong. All I can say is that I never have troubles whereas Maxnet seems to have so much that there could even be a pinned MaxNet Sux Topic up top pf the CM section. I pay 3x what you say you do - after my Vat etc, and then only get 1/4 the download rate. Question: so do you do torrents too ? I know you have the inside line on DVD's so maybe you don't. My browsing speed is fine enough, but it'd be nice to get things downloaded more quickly. And do you have to sign a yr or 3 mo contract, including fees for signing-up etc ?

Thanks.

RTD

I would say try to avoid these ISPs: TOT, True and TT&T (Maxnet). They're all equally bad.

However, I still think it's a whole lot better than of Australia's where international connection is unacceptably slow and with limit of 10GB or something per month.

I am now using TOT (because I have no other choice) but I am on the Biz Pack. 2,700 Baht a month with 2Mbps connection. It's okay, not that great but at least it is worth every baht you pay (if compared to Australia's Bigpond or Optus, of course)

"Download Speed: 959 kbps (119.9 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 126 kbps (15.8 KB/sec transfer rate)"

Man DonnyB, I read posts like yours n start to think I've picked wrong. All I can say is that I never have troubles whereas Maxnet seems to have so much that there could even be a pinned MaxNet Sux Topic up top pf the CM section. I pay 3x what you say you do - after my Vat etc, and then only get 1/4 the download rate. Question: so do you do torrents too ? I know you have the inside line on DVD's so maybe you don't. My browsing speed is fine enough, but it'd be nice to get things downloaded more quickly. And do you have to sign a yr or 3 mo contract, including fees for signing-up etc ?

Thanks.

RTD

224302698.png

I seem to be lucky in that I havent had too much problems with my ISP, it has been slow in the past on occassion, but mainly fine. Yeah, browsing speed could always be faster, but I read one window, when the others are loading.

I dont do any huge amount of downloads so no problem really.

Yip, get my movie/tv fix with the dvds :o

I signed up as a monthly ongoing customer, and I cant remember if there was a fee or not. But I do know that you can get a good deal should you pay 12 months in advance, but Im always hoping a new ISP comes along and offers a better deal with better speed.

I am on the bog-standard tot broadband at about 5 or 600 baht a month. The connection is terrible, dropping out frequently and recently just plain slow, in fact far slower than when i used bluetooth and my mobile phone. If it's just a question of fixing it by calling the thai helpline, does anyone have the phone number?

Or does anyone know where the main office is so that i can go in and actually speak face to face with someone?

Does anyone pay for their 2048/512 service? Am i right in assuming this will bring me a better connection because less people are paying for this service?

Maxnet jumped me up to 2.5mb/512 for my 1000b

When i told them I think it's useless, why not just keep me at the same speed and drop my price (now 500b) they say they couldn't...

ALL internet in Thailand sucks, until I can get a 30min show in under 10 minutes I will stick to this opinion. However when this finally happens I will probably be able to download 1hr 1080p episodes in 3 minutes back home.....

Maxnet jumped me up to 2.5mb/512 for my 1000b

When i told them I think it's useless, why not just keep me at the same speed and drop my price (now 500b) they say they couldn't...

ALL internet in Thailand sucks, until I can get a 30min show in under 10 minutes I will stick to this opinion. However when this finally happens I will probably be able to download 1hr 1080p episodes in 3 minutes back home.....

It's not quite that simple to say all internet is bad in thailand. I occasionally go to an internet cafe and their connection is consistently fast and hardly ever drops out.

Unless it has all become much worse in the last few months.

I have no choice but to use Maxnet (TT&T) for ADSL in my area of Chiang Mai.

I pay 630 baht (includes VAT) per month for their ADSL. As a promotion my service was upgraded from the bog standard to the next level.

At first it was great, couldn't believe the fast speeds with this Internet and could use Torrents at tremendous speeds. Than after a few weeks, the service began to go into decline, slower and slower download speed over the coming months.

These days especially during daytime, I am almost back to dial up level and can no longer use Torrents. I also get a lot of buffering when using Utube and viewing on line videos, which is irritating.

I believe that Maxnet are traffic shaping Torrents and some websites outside of Thailand, plus they are not putting any more resources into maintaining a reasonable Internet for the ADSL demand that has increased since ADSL really caught on here not so long ago.

I was tempted to upgrade my service to a faster Internet but after reading some of these posts, I am reluctant to take the risk.

Now I accept that this is a crap service, a sort of take it or leave it scenario. This is Thailand and just haven't the energy or stamina to complain and maybe get nowhere fast.

Edited by distortedlink

However, I still think it's a whole lot better than of Australia's where international connection is unacceptably slow and with limit of 10GB or something per month.

I am now using TOT (because I have no other choice) but I am on the Biz Pack. 2,700 Baht a month with 2Mbps connection. It's okay, not that great but at least it is worth every baht you pay (if compared to Australia's Bigpond or Optus, of course)

Oh really.......Never a complaint with Optus, and lightening fast...Just depends on your package!!

Edit...I forgot to add that the test was on a PC with an inferior wireless card about 30 meters from the router!

post-7622-1200875971_thumb.jpg

Edited by Maejo Man

Oh really.......Never a complaint with Optus, and lightening fast...Just depends on your package!!

Edit...I forgot to add that the test was on a PC with an inferior wireless card about 30 meters from the router!

Optus in Melbourne sucks big time. I'm thinking about changing to Bigpond. And with their 10GB cap, only a few HD video downloads, you then capped to 64k.

About the bittorrent services, Thai ISPs are now starting to either limit or block the usage of any P2P services. This includes Skype, Bittorents, LimeWire and etc.

The same is starting in the USA with both AT&T and Comcast. (See slashdot for more details).

Maxnet Premier opens up the international bandwidth vs. Indy and it specifically improves FTP and Skype (VoIP) - this is one of the selling points.

JxP

About the bittorrent services, Thai ISPs are now starting to either limit or block the usage of any P2P services. This includes Skype, Bittorents, LimeWire and etc.

The same is starting in the USA with both AT&T and Comcast. (See slashdot for more details).

Hello folks, have you tried enabling encryption when downloading your torrents? This prevents your ISP from blocking or throttling your torrent. I use Utorrent (I have tried most clients and this one is definitely the quickest and uses the least amount of cpu and ram) Make sure you foward a port (Pc Config - Portfoward.com). Simply press the orange or green icon displayed at the bottom of the Utorrent page, and enable encryption here. I download torrents in Phuket - (which is linked to the rest of thai internet by a piece of string) and achieve very decent speeds. I use the 2meg down 1 meg up business service for 2,700 baht per month by CAT Telecom - worth every baht. Still, am in Uk at the mo, and enjoying my free 20mg/b service - happy downloading! :o

Optus in Melbourne sucks big time. I'm thinking about changing to Bigpond. And with their 10GB cap, only a few HD video downloads, you then capped to 64k.

Your opinion, and you are entitled to it. I have no capping with unlimited bandwidth, and have a fast cable connection to my main computer that blitzes full length movies in nothing flat. Unfortunately I have to face reality in Bangkok tomorrow :o

Your opinion, and you are entitled to it. I have no capping with unlimited bandwidth, and have a fast cable connection to my main computer that blitzes full length movies in nothing flat. Unfortunately I have to face reality in Bangkok tomorrow :o

What plan are you using BTW? Could you please send me the link?

I'm sorry to bother you this but I really want to switch!

Hello folks, have you tried enabling encryption when downloading your torrents? This prevents your ISP from blocking or throttling your torrent. I use Utorrent (I have tried most clients and this one is definitely the quickest and uses the least amount of cpu and ram) Make sure you foward a port (Pc Config - Portfoward.com). Simply press the orange or green icon displayed at the bottom of the Utorrent page, and enable encryption here. I download torrents in Phuket - (which is linked to the rest of thai internet by a piece of string) and achieve very decent speeds. I use the 2meg down 1 meg up business service for 2,700 baht per month by CAT Telecom - worth every baht. Still, am in Uk at the mo, and enjoying my free 20mg/b service - happy downloading! :o

Thanks, zipster.

But I'm on a Mac. I'll try to find more about encryption on Azureus.

Anyway I'm on the TOT business service and it still sucks big time! 2meg down, 512k up. Bad up and down... lol. Well, for everyday use its acceptable but its not when I have to wait for just a YouTube video to download. And its the same price as yours.

I guess I have to switch to CAT soon. Hows the service by the way? And it's cable, not DSL, right?

But first, I have to switch from Bigpond to Optus.

Has anyone noticed the Internet connection in C.M. has degraded over the last week? About a week to ten days ago I was not experiencing so many problems. Now, I can barely get web pages to load. Forget about Skype except for chat which does me no good. I can't use any P2P program, all ports are blocked. I don't know what company I have since I pay at the office of the building. I hear people complaining down there all day long about the Internet. There was a technician here in the building working on it a couple of days ago. I asked him what was going on and he said "there is a line down in Chiang Mai right now" whatever that means. At 12:30 A.M. I am getting 1034/929 (129.3 KB/second transfer rate) using the ThaiVisa Broadband speed test. The fastest I've had in about 2-3 days.

I finally went to an Internet cafe today and it was just as bad. Everyone was complaining in there.