British Runner Completes 2,100 KM Fundraising Run Across Thailand

webfact

1 hour ago, Thonburi-tales said:

Nice one! I hope the money ends up with the  kids but somehow i doubt it. Dont let any Thai officials near it otherwise its gone.

Yes well done.AND I'm certainly not knocking the bloke.More than I could or would do but 140,000 Bht is only a bit over  $A6,000.It seems a small reward for such a great effort. Could almost raise that on a "go fund me"  page?

Edited by findlay13

46 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

That's a huge effort for what is really not very much money. 2800 a day. Good on him, but I'd venture that he had expected to gather a lot more than that when he planned the run. Marathon runners get sponsors on board to raise money for charity. Did he try that route, I wonder?

I suffered the same disappointment though when I gathered items from numerous tennis players, the biggest names in the sport, to auction and raise money for doctors to operate on kids with cleft palates in Indonesia. Only made a few thousand dollars. I expected more.

@Bangkok Barry   This charity cause is now very widely advertised on British TV for children with clefts, you might be pleased to know.

Edited by Scouse123
  • Thanks 1

Fantastic what a champion.

140.000 baht doesn't seem a lot for such an achievement !

maybe some top house hold names from Thailand should of got involved 

IE  king power  red bull

Chang Singh  Etc etc 

Good Man 🇬🇧

Edited by stix40
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, stix40 said:

Fantastic what a champion.

140.000 baht doesn't seem a lot for such an achievement !

IE  king power  red bull

Chang Singh  Etc etc 

Good Man 🇬🇧

Unfortunately, Red B*ll are already donating to other causes.

• Sad 1
  • Love It 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

id  be  concerned where the raised  money actually went to in Thailand

Right on. Years ago when I was living down South some expats did this for the local orphanage, then after they handed the large sum of money raised to the boss, the expats found out they had bought a new fridge and a TV for the staff lunch room, plus other stuff, and very little, if anything went to the orphans. So after that they decided never to hand over cash, but buy things like packets of baby formulae and diaper's and food for the kids to use. But then it was later found out some of the orphanage staff were selling these products off to the local market.  

• Sad 4

32 minutes ago, Clarkey611 said:
1 hour ago, stix40 said:

IE  king power  red bull

Chang Singh  Etc etc 

Good Man 🇬🇧

Expand  

Unfortunately, Red B*ll are already donating to other causes.

Isn't it fortunate, not unfortunate, that Red Bull are donating to other causes or do you begrudge Red Bull's charitable contributions?

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Isn't it fortunate, not unfortunate, that Red Bull are donating to other causes or do you begrudge Red Bull's charitable contributions?

I think he meant the Thai Policemen's Retirement / tea Fund ??  (after a certain person in a certain Ferarri killed a certain policeman).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:
8 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I think he meant the Thai Policemen's Retirement / tea Fund ??  (after a certain person in a certain Ferarri killed a certain policeman).

Yes, I did recognise his sad innuendo.

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:
3 hours ago, Thonburi-tales said:

I hope the money ends up with the  kids but somehow i doubt it.

Why do you doubt it?

Given the extent and depth of corruption in Thailand 'skimming' off the top seems to be the norm rather than the exception.

I too would be cynical about the money getting through to exactly where its needed and am more than cynical that once donated there would be a 'few lunches' about how this money is distributed.

So... Why would I (or Thonburi-tales) 'doubt it' ??...       the answer is quite obvious I think, cynicism is quite normal in this circumstance. 

That doesn't take away from anything the running has accomplished, props to him. 

• Like 1

Just now, Kinok Farang said:

Fantastic.If we're not careful it's lads like him that will give us Brits a good name.

I wouldn't worry too much, given the numbers of British in Thailand and the attention Brit's get in the English Language media is only a matter of time before a Brit gets into a fight with a TukTuk driver, taxi driver or LadyBoy on beach road and that hits the c-grade headlines much to the pleasure of the Brit-bashers on the forum.... 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Clarkey611 said:

I would imagiune he was very fit after all that running.

Well done!

I would imagiune he was very fit after all that running......And Bloody Knackered Too ??

6 hours ago, Clarkey611 said:

I would imagiune he was very fit after all that running.

Well done!

I would imagiune he was very fit after all that running.& I Would think Knackered ??

• Confused 1