Re-negotiating Due To Takeover.....

Just wondering if some of you longer residents with a little more experience than myself can help me out.....

I came to BKK nearly 2 years ago on what I thought would be an expat package, my own inexperience and ignorance lumbered me on what I now know as a "Local" contract..... This wasn't an issue until recently as the company although the largest in its field is relatively small, privately owned and i enjoy working for them, the boss is fantastic, staff are friendly and have really helped me!

Since then, a HUGE multi-national corporation wanting to break into this field has made an approach to purchase and the boss is willing as it'll make him a very rich man indeed by most peoples standards.

What i would like to know is that if this corp takes over the business, i will be looking to re-negotiate my contract to obtain an ex-pats package, buit what should that include and what should i be asking for??? I'm the assistant manager of the company and my job security has been assured by the would-be-new-boss.... who i know has the full deal, house in bkk, car, allowances and so on etc etc and how would i go about justifying the change in the contract???

Help me out and if it comes about there will be free beer for all recommendations used!

Before going into speak to your new boss you might ask yourself 'what is it I have to negotiate with?' - Negotiation being a give and take process.

-----

The relocation, hardship allowances, schools, housing, maids, cars, drivers etc are for the hardship postings..

And all available for assignments to Thailand - but seldom to people already in Thailand and wishing to remain there.

Just wondering if some of you longer residents with a little more experience than myself can help me out.....

I came to BKK nearly 2 years ago on what I thought would be an expat package, my own inexperience and ignorance lumbered me on what I now know as a "Local" contract..... This wasn't an issue until recently as the company although the largest in its field is relatively small, privately owned and i enjoy working for them, the boss is fantastic, staff are friendly and have really helped me!

Since then, a HUGE multi-national corporation wanting to break into this field has made an approach to purchase and the boss is willing as it'll make him a very rich man indeed by most peoples standards.

What i would like to know is that if this corp takes over the business, i will be looking to re-negotiate my contract to obtain an ex-pats package, buit what should that include and what should i be asking for??? I'm the assistant manager of the company and my job security has been assured by the would-be-new-boss.... who i know has the full deal, house in bkk, car, allowances and so on etc etc and how would i go about justifying the change in the contract???

Help me out and if it comes about there will be free beer for all recommendations used!

NOW YOUR BOSS IS SELLING UP MAYBE HE CAN PUT IN A GOOD WORD FOR YOU AND GET HIM TO SAY HE DIDNT SET YOU UP PROPERLY WITH AN EXPAT PACKAGE.......OR MAYBE GET THE BOSS TO SAY HE PROMISED YOU A BIG PAY RISE SO NOW HE IS SELLING THEY MUST TO STICK TO HIS PROMISES(NO SKIN OFF HIS NOSE ,HE MAKING A FORTUNE ANYWAY!!!)......OTHERWISE THIS NEW COMPANY MUST KNOW YOU AINT GOT ALL THE BENEFITS SO PROBABLY DONT WANT TO UP IT..WHY WOULD THEY :D

OR IF YOUR REALLY NEEDED AT THIS COMPANY IE THEY REALLY COULDNT DO WITHOUT YOU THEN YOU COULD SAY YOU WERE THINKING OF GOING HOME AS THINGS WERENT WHAT YOU EXPECTED AND OTHER PEOPLE GOT EXPAT PACKAGES ETC....BUT COULD BACKFIRE,DONT BLAME ME :o

As you're a local hire, you've no chance unless your boss is willing to be underhand and rewrite your contract to include certain provisions which may merely be in terms of a takeover or similar. Your chance of an expat package has gone when you arrived and started to work on a local package.

Depending upon how valuable you are to the company (an I'm sorry to say probably not that much if on a local deal) then try to work out what you offer the company, what they would lose if you wanked away and how much the things you want actually cost.

I mean, if you earn 100k per month and you want a package which is valued at 200k per month taking your costs up to 300k per month, then that is not going to happen.

My argument / negotiation with the new bosses would be centred around the fact that you were working on a local package until such time as the company could offer you the expatriate package you thought you were getting / were supposed to get. Now this takeover would appear your last chance to get this but I would not be hopeful at all.

However, if you are indispensible, they may make an exception.

As for costs, then you;re looking at:

House - 100k

Car - 30k

Chauffeur - 15k

Maid - 10k

Nanny - 10k

Private school (2 kids) - 100k

Health insurance - 20k

Life assurance - 20k

Flights (2 * biz class for 4) - 120k

Bills - 20k

Expenses - 50k

I mean the list can go on and on but already here you have about 500k per month ? Cut some fat from that as you're not the CEO but you see where I am coming from ?

Thanks for the advice so far....

TBH i'm not that hopeful either, however, unoffical comments made from potential new boss to hopefully rich ex-boss seem to suggest that i will have an important roll to play for the new company added to which my client portfolio includes some big names who do not really appreciate the major company or the potential new boss having had dealings with them/boss in other Asian countries so i do feel i have an arguement i.e loss of business if i were to leave the company.

Plan B is a quantity of rohypnol and a pre-printed contract ready for signing the day the new boss comes..... fancy a beer boss?