Ipod Docking Station Pattaya?

Kaojai

I found two authorized Apple iPod dealers at Tukcom in Pattaya, neither of which had a docking station that I could use for my 2nd generation 8Gb Nano iPod.

One had some stand-alone thing with speakers and remote and a price tag of nearly B9000. I just want to plug it into the Sony stereo system I already have.

The other dealer had something that was labelled a "universal docking station," but then the young man explained that they didn't have the cables or something-something which I couldn't fathom but he seemed to feel would defeat the whole point of buying the docking station.

Anyone know of anyother dealers in Pattaya, authorized or not, that would have a docking station that will work with my iPod and Sony stereo?

Thanks

Edited by Kaojai

You can try the Apple shop in The Avenue, the new shopping mall thing opposite Soi Yamato. Quite a big shop on the ground floor selling all kinds of Apple stuff.

However I've noticed they seem to only stock the latest stuff, but they might be able to order the item for you...

I think they have a boot on the ground floor of Central Festival center, bang in front of the BigC entrance...

The booth in big C is owned by Khun Rugby who also has a shop in Pattaya North Road called iRugby. He actually knows a lot about Macs, unlike the staff in iStudio in the Avenue who appear to know nothing about the products they are selling. Rugby is a very helpful guy who also speaks good English.

Having said that, do you actually need a docking station? If you just want the sound from your iPod to come out of your stereo, get a cable that has a headphone jack at one end (for your iPod) and a suitable connection at the other end to plug into your Sony (Possible also a headphone style jack). The shop in the basement of Tuk Com has a reasonable cable selection.

Good luck!

Wait... you have the stereo already right? You simply want to connect your ipod directly to your stereo and play music from the ipod and through your powerful speakers/stereo? You were really looking for some official stand to hold the ipod?

For about 30 baht you can buy a cable that connects the ipod to the back of your stereo and play your music that way (one end goes into your ipods earphone jack, the other end has a red and white connector to attach to stereos white and red input), you can buy the cable at any techie shop like Tukcom. Isnt this what you want? Or is it some sort of remote control function you were looking for?

oops ya, like Hughden said.

Damian

Edited by DamianMavis

The universal docking station is what you want. To connect to your stereo you need a Mini to RCA cable. By going through the doc you can bypass the iPods volume control giving better SQ. Also import using Apple Lossless Encorder with error correction.

Bob

The universal docking station is what you want. To connect to your stereo you need a Mini to RCA cable. By going through the doc you can bypass the iPods volume control giving better SQ. Also import using Apple Lossless Encorder with error correction.

Bob

Thanks for the various suggestions. I hadn't thought of the idea of just connecting the iPod to the stereo via the headphone jack.

Being a decidedly un-technical person, Bob's message confuses me. Is the universal docking station (a) truly necessary, (b)somewhat useful or © just another way for me to waste money? I'm not sure what "better SQ" implies or what an "Apple Lossless Encoder" is. Ignorance is not always bliss.

Bob

Thanks for the various suggestions. I hadn't thought of the idea of just connecting the iPod to the stereo via the headphone jack.

Being a decidedly un-technical person, Bob's message confuses me. Is the universal docking station (a) truly necessary, (b)somewhat useful or © just another way for me to waste money? I'm not sure what "better SQ" implies or what an "Apple Lossless Encoder" is. Ignorance is not always bliss.

Sorry for the confusion, first "better SQ" means better sound quality, secound "Apple Lossless Encoder" with error correction enabled is one of the encoding options in iTunes(in iTunes Preferences>Advanced) for ripping a CD into iTunes. It is a compression format you can use without loss of any data from the original CD unlike MP3 compression where a significant amount of the data is lost from the original CD.

The docking is not necessary to get sound out, it just will sound alot better.

Bob

• 2 weeks later...
The booth in big C is owned by Khun Rugby who also has a shop in Pattaya North Road called iRugby. He actually knows a lot about Macs, unlike the staff in iStudio in the Avenue who appear to know nothing about the products they are selling. Rugby is a very helpful guy who also speaks good English.

Having said that, do you actually need a docking station? If you just want the sound from your iPod to come out of your stereo, get a cable that has a headphone jack at one end (for your iPod) and a suitable connection at the other end to plug into your Sony (Possible also a headphone style jack). The shop in the basement of Tuk Com has a reasonable cable selection.

Good luck!

:o Hi every body,

I read that blog from hughden about the apple shop in BigC. I just want to warn you! This guy called Rugby perhaps may know something about Macs (I don't know) but he is cheating the people. He try to sell computer and he will do anything that knowless farang will buy one. He tells you every thing what you like to hear - VAT-refund - cheaper price --- at the end no VAT-refund and he sold the computer about 3000 baht more expensive than. Because of my paid deposit I had to pay the new price. And like I found out now - I was not the only one. Go to another apple shop or go to BKK PanTip - there you will get also VAT-refund and a good service! I checked out already!

So be very carefully!!

Stan