Renting A Car In Thailand

I can't seem to make up my mind whether to buy a car in Bangkok or whether it makes more sense to lease long term. Second hand cars here seem overpriced in my mind and lease rates seem quite reasonable. Has anyone any experience with 6 months + leasing?

I've just into the second year of a lease with Budget. Excellent service, they changed the car after a year, gave me a wide choice including options and I pay a fixed monthly amount that covers everything including insurance and breakdown cover. No complaints it works well. I'll pass on their details if you PM me.

Second hand cars here seem overpriced in my mind

The thing abt 2nd car prices is that they are good even if you happen to sell it later as there is a real market for them.

So i think each case has to be judged on its own merit. We bought a 2nd hand car for 60k in 1998, and subsequently sold it for 40k 4 years later. In between we had a couple of minor servicing but it ran ok except that it took sometime to start in the Northern winter towards the end of 2001. So we all thought it was worthwhile, considering new cars are a few times of those prices and old cars' values are still good.

The trick is to get a trusted mechanic to inspect the car, drive it around before paying it.

We bought a 2nd hand car for 60k in 1998, and subsequently sold it for 40k 4 years later.

Is this Thai Bht? If so, you must be lucky to find such a deal. I can not think of any 2nd hand car for these prices..

--------------------------------------

About renting vs buying options..

If you are here for long-term and has all required docs, then I think it is cheaper to consider buying a brand new car than a 2nd hand car. I am using a Toyota for around 1.5 yrs now. No problems.. Always go for Toyota when it comes to Cars or Isuzu when it comes to pickups, if you are concerned about the 2nd hand market price and a quick sale.

Normally the market value of your car will depreciate at around 25% rate if it's a Toyota. You can put that in to your formula and calculate the Renting Option vs Buying option..

New Toyota has a 3 Yr Warranty and also low chances of breakdown. This may be useful to consider specially to give some value to replacement vehicles, where the renting companies like Budget offer.

In case of an accidents, renting option will give you more benefits. But, how many times you are going to hit someone? :o

Is this Thai Bht? If so, you must be lucky to find such a deal. I can not think of any 2nd hand car for these prices..

Yes, it was a good buy and in Thai baht. My relative runs a mechanic shop so he got the first hand info. But things like that do not come every Sunday you know. :o