My Battle With Dengue Fever

distortedlink

I am a long term resident of Chiang Mai living here for 4 years.

On a day in mid December last year I woke up feeling very ill with a flu like symptom, sore throat, headache, severe fatigue and muscle aches. I put it down to the changing weather as it became very cold here in Chiang Mai. So I went back to bed, took flu medication and waited to get better.

By the end of December I wasn't getting any better and since first feeling ill, I had completely lost my appetite and was losing a tremendous amount of weight.

On 27 December I took myself to the McCormack's hospital in Chiang Mai for a check up. After completing several tests, (no blood test), the Doctor informed me that I was suffering from acute indigestion and was prescribed anti biotics and indigestion medicine at a cost of nearly 2000 baht. I was not happy with the hospital`s diagnosies because indigestion couldn't explain why my body was aching so much and the weakness to a point that at times I was almost losing consciousness. I took the prescribed medication, but my condition was worsening and got to a stage where I could no longer get out of bed.

2 January this year, suffering from feeling extremely chilled, muscle pain, severe headache, fever, intense joint pain, dizziness, rashes all over my body and total loss of appetite, a friend took me in his car to the emergency section of the government hospital in San Pa Tong.

The doctor took my blood pressure, temperature and a blood sample. Within half an hour at the hospital the Doctor confirmed that I have Dengue fever and that I am very ill. It was explained to me that I had probably been bitten by the striped variety of the dengue virus-carrying mosquito. I was immediately admitted into the hospital, told that there is no vaccines or cures for this disease and can only be observed to see if I begin haemorrhaging or not as haemorrhaging is a possibility with dengue fever. There is no specific treatment for dengue except for supportive therapy of fluid and electrolyte balance, prevention and treatment of shock and treatment of coagulation disorders.

While in the hospital I was interviewed by a chief government investigating environmental officer who suggested that I had been travelling outside of Chiang Mai and picked up the virus from somewhere outside of Chiang Mai. I explained that I had not been outside of Chiang Mai and mostly at home for the last month. I lately confirmed this to environmental officers by catching a stripped mosquito in my bedroom.

After 4 days, luckily I did not haemorrhage and was given the option of either going home to recover or stay in hospital. I opted to go home, but with regular visits to San Pa Tong hospital to monitor my progress. In the meantime to my displeasure, although I knew it had to be done, government environmental officers came inside my home and surrounding areas and fumigated the whole district with mosquito killing chemicals. The smell was obnoxious and I was concerned for my dogs and fishpond stocks, but told I must endure this by law.

None of us was affected by the chemical sprays and today (18 January) I am still far from well, but my health is improving and over the danger fatal period of Dengue fever. Still struggling to take food and the aching bones sometimes is extreme. Hopefully get better soon and not have to endure much more of this horrible disease.

Being a computer junkie I often get mosquito bitten on my legs and ankles where my legs rest under the computer table, it being dark and dusty, a great place for mossies to congregate.

I believe that I am very vulnerable to these tropical viruses because unlike the local Thai people in my village, I have never been exposed to such dangers coming from England and have not yet formed any immunity to these bugs.

Must admit that I used to think these bad things only happen to the other fella and that this could never happen to me. These days I take health care much more seriously, although not getting fanatical, will in future be more aware and have a medical check up at least once a year.

post-40525-1200597398_thumb.jpg

Edited by distortedlink

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mate, nasty thing to happen, hope you recover soon

You are well on the mend. Take it easy though!. No it happened to you because you are human, plenty of Thais get it too. It's a very valuable posting. What specific symptoms differentiate it from the flu, or similar?

Did you think the hospital treatment helped you significantly?

Mate, nasty thing to happen, hope you recover soon

You are well on the mend. Take it easy though!. No it happened to you because you are human, plenty of Thais get it too. It's a very valuable posting. What specific symptoms differentiate it from the flu, or similar?

Did you think the hospital treatment helped you significantly?

The government hospital in San Pa Tong were wonderful and knew exactly what to do, plus a lot less expensive than the private hospital, but of course money shouldn't matter when your life is at stake. It is the experience that counts and not so much the poshness of the hospital.

The hospital staff did give me confidence and much better than staying at home and not knowing what is wrong.

The difference between dengue and a bad case of flu, is that dengue knocks one flat. Anyone who is unfortunate to get this horrible virus will soon realize that it is more than just influenza.

I do realize that Thai people are also vulnerable to catching these viruses, but I believe us foreigners here are more susceptible because we haven't been exposed to these diseases in the past and don't have such a strong immunity.

Edited by distortedlink

I got a dose of it last year

Not as bad as the ops case

But still flat on my back for 8 days (never had a flu do that)

It has been reported that there has been an 25% increase in cases across SEA

Symptoms vary from mild to fatal

To the op Look after yourself.

On a day in mid December last year I woke up feeling very ill with a flu like symptom, sore throat, headache, severe fatigue and muscle aches. I put it down to the changing weather as it became very cold here in Chiang Mai. So I went back to bed, took flu medication and waited to get better.

By the end of December I wasn't getting any better and since first feeling ill, I had completely lost my appetite and was losing a tremendous amount of weight.

On 27 December I took myself to the McCormack's hospital in Chiang Mai for a check up. After completing several tests, (no blood test), the Doctor informed me that I was suffering from acute indigestion and was prescribed anti biotics and indigestion medicine at a cost of nearly 2000 baht. I was not happy with the hospital`s diagnosies because indigestion couldn't explain why my body was aching so much and the weakness to a point that at times I was almost losing consciousness. I took the prescribed medication, but my condition was worsening and got to a stage where I could no longer get out of bed.

2 January this year, suffering from feeling extremely chilled, muscle pain, severe headache, fever, intense joint pain, dizziness, rashes all over my body and total loss of appetite, a friend took me in his car to the emergency section of the government hospital in San Pa Tong.

The doctor took my blood pressure, temperature and a blood sample. Within half an hour at the hospital the Doctor confirmed that I have Dengue fever and that I am very ill. It was explained to me that I had probably been bitten by the striped variety of the dengue virus-carrying mosquito. I was immediately admitted into the hospital, told that there is no vaccines or cures for this disease and can only be observed to see if I begin haemorrhaging or not as haemorrhaging is a possibility with dengue fever. There is no specific treatment for dengue except for supportive therapy of fluid and electrolyte balance, prevention and treatment of shock and treatment of coagulation disorders.

While in the hospital I was interviewed by a chief government investigating environmental officer who suggested that I had been travelling outside of Chiang Mai and picked up the virus from somewhere outside of Chiang Mai. I explained that I had not been outside of Chiang Mai and mostly at home for the last month. I lately confirmed this to environmental officers by catching a stripped mosquito in my bedroom.

After 4 days, luckily I did not haemorrhage and was given the option of either going home to recover or stay in hospital. I opted to go home, but with regular visits to San Pa Tong hospital to monitor my progress. In the meantime to my displeasure, although I knew it had to be done, government environmental officers came inside my home and surrounding areas and fumigated the whole district with mosquito killing chemicals. The smell was obnoxious and I was concerned for my dogs and fishpond stocks, but told I must endure this by law.

None of us was affected by the chemical sprays and today (18 January) I am still far from well, but my health is improving and over the danger fatal period of Dengue fever. Still struggling to take food and the aching bones sometimes is extreme. Hopefully get better soon and not have to endure much more of this horrible disease.

Being a computer junkie I often get mosquito bitten on my legs and ankles where my legs rest under the computer table, it being dark and dusty, a great place for mossies to congregate.

I believe that I am very vulnerable to these tropical viruses because unlike the local Thai people in my village, I have never been exposed to such dangers coming from England and have not yet formed any immunity to these bugs.

Must admit that I used to think these bad things only happen to the other fella and that this could never happen to me. These days I take health care much more seriously, although not getting fanatical, will in future be more aware and have a medical check up at least once a year.

Blimey sounds awful but more scary as they ( this mosquito type ) are local to you there, my friend contacted it in cambodia, ,not nice at all,i hope you make a full recovery, my friend roland did,.. with a 5 year old daughter i am worried by this, is there an injection for immunity do you know ?

its not a virus, and thai are not less susceptible; they get and die too.... and the mosquitos are the day time (evening) mosquitoes and more found in urban areas ...

no injections that are proven effective or at all....

prevention : mosqito nets, sprays and creams against mosquitoes and long sleeves and long pants especially covering ankles and wrists....

there are three kinds, if u hae had it once, u dont get the same type again but the third time round with the other type means u have a higher chance of hemoragge...

treatment: NO ASPIRIN or other blood thinning drugs,

support treatment,

been a million threads with good advice about dengue on the forum...

medical checkups have nothing to do with contracting this disease....

bina

Sorry to hear about your ordeal. I had a dose some time ago but not nearly as bad as yours, a couple of weeks in bed and another couple of months to get over it. A great diet plan. :D

I agree with you about mosquitoes under the desk I had the same problem but then plugged one of those electric mosie things into the UPS which is under my desk and that reduced the number of bites a lot.

The mosie thing is only on when I’m at the computer and the UPS is switched on.

Daffy.

:o

Thanks for the post and sorry about your ordeal.

My wife and I worry about our kids with this and try to keep them protected with spray as much as possible, but there is always a chance that one of the bites getting through may be Dengue.

We have found (by mistake) that keeping their rooms very cold at night keeps the mosquitos away. We were set to buy nets for both of their beds, but the cold temps do the trick nicely.

Glad to hear you're feeling better...am glad you were able to send a reminder to all of us.

Where in Chiang Mai do you live? What part? My wife got it when she was a child and almost died. She started bleeding from the eyes, ears, nose, any orifice. Rash and spots. She got it in bangkok, they suspect at her school near ratchadapisek. They came suspended school ,bombed and fumigated the area for a week before letting the school open again. They do take this very seriously, as of course they should. I got sick the first week of January and thought I had gotten it as well. Fever of 104, sever aches and pains, pounding headache, couldn't keep anything in my body and was losing too much water. Was drinking the rehydration fluid that I keep in the house to keep the electrolytes up and rode it out. I have to believe I didn't get it though I have heard that mild cases have been known to happen. I just want to know how far away you are from me so that I can gage the likelihood that I had this as well. I never get sick and this felt like nothing I have ever had before

Dengue, or Breakbone Fever, is an acute febrile disease characterized by sudden onset, with headache, fever, prostration, joint and muscle pain, lymphadenopathy, and a rash that appears simultaneously with a second temperature rise following a period without a fever. A haemorrhagic fever syndrome associated with dengue occurs in children.

There's an incubation period of 3 to 15 (usually 5 to 8 days) and, as well as above symptoms, pain can occur behind the eyes when moving the eyes.

Fever and other symptoms persist for 48 to 96 hours followed by the high temperature falling to normal with profuse sweating. Then there is a period - about 24 hours - when temperature is normal and patient feels well. But a second rise in temperature follows usually with a lower peak than the first time. The rash now appears and looks like measles and usually spreads from the extremities to cover the entire body except the face, or it can be patchy on the extremities and trunk. The palms and soles may be bright red and swollen.

Cases do occur without the second period of fever.

Prevention requires control or eradication of the mosquito by spraying, making sure there is no standing water for them to breed in such as in flower pots and discarded tyres.

Dengue is transmitted to humans by the Aedes aegypti (rarely Aedes albopictus) mosquito, which feeds during the day.

Personal prevention consists of the use of mosquito nets, repellents containing NNDB or DEET, covering exposed skin, use of DEET-impregnated bednets, and avoiding endemic areas.

Above information taken from The Merck Manual and Wikepedia.

I ask all condo co-owners to take an active interest in their surroundings. Complain to management about pots and other garden ornaments and drains and dustbins and lids that can gather standing water. Ask the security guards if they are bothered by mosquitoes and complain to management on their behalf. If management does nothing take matters into your own hands by turning pots over or heavily salting the water in very large or heavy pots.

This disease can be fatal, especially to children under 10 years.

I have just rigged up one of those electric mosquito killers under my desk – thanks to you all for putting the fear of death in me and Daffy D for advising about under-the-desk eradication.

A friend always used the electric gadget in Phnom Penh and, I swear to God, the mossies could be seen flying into his office and dropping dead.

Take care, stay well.

Not sure if this works but have heard about it a few times before and found this on the web:

"I would like to share this interesting discovery from a colleague's son

who has just recovered from dengue fever. Apparently, his son was in the

critical stage at the SJMC ICU when his platelet count dropped to 15

after blood transfusion also.

His father was so worried that he sought another friend's recommendation

and his son was saved. He confessed to me that he give his son raw juice

of the papaya leaves. From a platelet count as low as 45 after blood

transfusion, it jumped to 135 after drinking the raw papaya leaf juice.

Even the doctors and nurses were surprised. After the second day he was

discharged. So he asked me to pass this good news around.

Accordingly it is raw papaya leaves 2 pcs just clean and pound and

squeeze the juice thro cloth filter. You will only get one tablespoon

per leaf. So two tablespoons per serving once a day. No need to boil or

cook or rinse with hot water, it will lose its strength. Only the leafy

part has to be taken, no stem or sap. It is very bitter and you have to

swallow it.

But it works wonders!!!!

Papaya Juice - Cure for Dengue

You may have heard this elsewhere, but if not, I am glad to inform you

that papaya juice is a natural cure for dengue fever. As dengue fever is

rampant now, I think it's good to share this with all. A friend of mine

had dengue last year. It was a very serious situation for her as her

platelet count had dropped to 28,000 after 3 days in hospital and water

had started to fill in her lungs. She had difficulty in breathing. She

was only 32-years old. Doctor said there's no cure for dengue. We just

have to wait for her body immune system to build up resistance against

dengue and fight its own battle.

She already had 2 blood transfusions and all of us were praying very

hard as her platelet continued to drop since the first day she was

admitted.

Fortunately her mother-in-law heard that papaya juice would help to

reduce the fever and got some papaya leaves, pounded them and squeezed

the juice out for her. The next day, her platelet count started to

increase, her fever subsided. She was given papaya juice regularly and

she recovered after 3 days!!! Amazing but true.

Papaya juice has a cooling effect thus, it helps to reduce the heat in

one's body. I found that its also good when one is having sore throat."

I was in Bumrungrad Hospital, sharing a room with a dengue patient. He was a teenage Thai and was attended by lots of family and relatives. Anyhow, there were mosquitoes in our rooms although I couldn't quite confirm which type they were. I asked the nurses to move me to another room or at the very least quarantine the dengue patient, or give me a mosquitoes net. It took them a day and a half before they quarantine the patient. Needless to say, I was fully lathered in mosquitoes repellent the whole time.

Medical services in Thailand could either be excellent or extremely poor. And expensive doesn't always mean good.

Best wishes for a quick recovery.

its not a virus, and thai are not less susceptible; they get and die too.... and the mosquitos are the day time (evening) mosquitoes and more found in urban areas ...

no injections that are proven effective or at all....

prevention : mosqito nets, sprays and creams against mosquitoes and long sleeves and long pants especially covering ankles and wrists....

there are three kinds, if u hae had it once, u dont get the same type again but the third time round with the other type means u have a higher chance of hemoragge...

treatment: NO ASPIRIN or other blood thinning drugs,

support treatment,

been a million threads with good advice about dengue on the forum...

medical checkups have nothing to do with contracting this disease....

bina

Wrong: Dengue fever is a virus.

If you say it is not a virus, Dr bina, please explain what it is? I am interested.

My mates Thai wife caught it a few years back while on holiday here. They were told there are 4 types of the fever. The good news was once you have had one type you become emune to that particular strain. She said her head felt like it was made from brown paper. I keep telling my wife about it, but she says she has never heard of it. Do the Thais have another name for it?

My mates Thai wife caught it a few years back while on holiday here. They were told there are 4 types of the fever. The good news was once you have had one type you become emune to that particular strain. She said her head felt like it was made from brown paper. I keep telling my wife about it, but she says she has never heard of it. Do the Thais have another name for it?

My daughter just informed me that the Thai translation for Dengue Fever is:

Kai Lert Ork, meaning fever blood out.

There are tones to this pronunciation. Difficult to spell in English. Try pronouncing like this: Khai Louert Orrrk

This may have been answered before in the Dengue thread but may help to repeat here:

There are 4 Dengue virus subtypes

You don't develop immunity against any other strain once you have had the disease caused by one.

The drop in platelets is a result of this immunity that develops in the acute phase; it is an auto-immune response. In other words, your own antibodies destroy your own platelets as there is a cross or common antigen on the virus and platelets.

Foreigners who do not live and grow up in enedemic areas will unlikely start bleeding as the immune response is not overwhelming. People who are born and grow up in endemic areas are exposed from an early age and get a massive immune response that usually leads to schock and death; even before bleeding sets in.

Platelets drop from 450K to 25K in 2-3 days but then quickly (in 2-3 days again) get back to "safe" levels. A normal person will not start to bleed unless levels drop to below 20 or 15K. (Papaya juice or no...)

Being in a room with a Dengue patient will NOT lead to infection in another patient or guest; NO need to isolate dengue sufferers.

The effects of this disease can last months, don't understimate this; lethargy, tiredness and even chronic fatigue syndrome may result.

Treatment for this is just symptomatic; Vit C, fresh fruits, healthy diet, excercise as can be tolerated etc etc..

This may have been answered before in the Dengue thread but may help to repeat here:

There are 4 Dengue virus subtypes

You don't develop immunity against any other strain once you have had the disease caused by one.

The drop in platelets is a result of this immunity that develops in the acute phase; it is an auto-immune response. In other words, your own antibodies destroy your own platelets as there is a cross or common antigen on the virus and platelets.

Foreigners who do not live and grow up in enedemic areas will unlikely start bleeding as the immune response is not overwhelming. People who are born and grow up in endemic areas are exposed from an early age and get a massive immune response that usually leads to schock and death; even before bleeding sets in.

Platelets drop from 450K to 25K in 2-3 days but then quickly (in 2-3 days again) get back to "safe" levels. A normal person will not start to bleed unless levels drop to below 20 or 15K. (Papaya juice or no...)

Being in a room with a Dengue patient will NOT lead to infection in another patient or guest; NO need to isolate dengue sufferers.The effects of this disease can last months, don't understimate this; lethargy, tiredness and even chronic fatigue syndrome may result.

Treatment for this is just symptomatic; Vit C, fresh fruits, healthy diet, excercise as can be tolerated etc etc..

I am sure a very good chance of patients and staff getting dengue if that particular mosquito is in the hospital. The poster above was quite right to complain and was wise to keep himself covered with repellant.

Is it possible to see the stripes when one is actually flying in front of you? Obviously that's not a life-size pic. I'm not sure I've ever seen one and I'm not sure I could identify one if I did.

Yes- you can see the stripes when they are flying, and see them even easier when they are stationary / landed on something like your arm.

Nobody has commented on this, but the OP says he went to a highly acclaimed expatriate hospital, McCormick, and the examining physician misdiagnosed him and didn't do a blood test. Then, a Thai took the OP to a govt. hospital in a small town (San Patong), where they quickly did a blood test and made the correct diagnosis!

this is probably a question asked a zillion times

can a mosquito bite someone with a disease, dengue, HIV, malaria, whatever, then spread it by biting someone else?

Interesting question. NO, mosquitos do not regurgitate when they bite again. In other words, they do not expel blood from their mouthpieces when they bite again. Fleas, ticks and bedbugs do. Bedbugs can transmit Hep B. No known (that I am aware of) transmission of HIV but theoretically possible.

Malaria parasite from their (carrier mosquitos) salivary glands, not blood.

How do dengue mosquitoes transmit dengue?

Dengue mosquitoes are common in Queensland but often do not carry dengue. A female mosquito can only become infected with dengue after biting an infected human who is viraemic, ie. there are enough dengue virus particles in the person’s blood to infect a mosquito.

An infected person can transmit dengue to mosquitoes at home, at work or anywhere they visit. This can happen within 3-4 days of being bitten and can continue to do so up to 12 days. (Dengue is not spread directly from person to person.)

In 8-10 days the infected mosquito is able to transmit the virus to other people. Thus the cycle of transmission takes only 14 days. One dengue-infected female mosquito is capable of biting and infecting several people during one feeding session.

Source: Queensland, Australia Health internet site.

Blimey sounds awful but more scary as they ( this mosquito type ) are local to you there, my friend contacted it in cambodia, ,not nice at all,i hope you make a full recovery, my friend roland did,.. with a 5 year old daughter i am worried by this, is there an injection for immunity do you know ?

Glad to here your getting better. I've had a lot of friends who got it and found that their joints were affected for some time after recovery. So start some fish oil, its good for many other things as well. Keep on recovering. Tim