Bridgestone Tryes

Lickey

This is mainly for big bike riders, my 1200XJR Yamaha has a bridgestone rear tyre, ok, it 75% worn now but still has a good tread pattern, thing is if i give it a handfull coming off a roundabout or overtaking a small bike in the local street whatever, the rear wheel/tyre will light up, it will spin, ive gone back and checked this, ive seen the darkies on the road, so is it the Thai tarmac or the tyre? thanks, lickey..

• 2 weeks later...

Was it doing this before, ie when new? Is it the same problem when warm as opposed to cold? Is the suspension ok and correctly set up, and most importantly, what are the tyre pressures you're using as opposed to standard?

Took a fireblade to the Pyrenees one summer and had the thing sliding on every bend in no time. Slowly realised I had to drop the tyre pressures to track settings due to the heat and number of bends. Also found, on the same bike, that a couple of psi less than standard in the rear tyre would leave black lines on cold tarmac

Thai tarmac for sure.

If, like where I live, you have not had much rain lately or none at all for several weeks the accumulation of dust, rubber, oil, dead dogs etc..... will make the roads extremely slippery.

Sometimes it's even possible to see some kind of reflection off the tarmac, it's that glossy.

Goldfish, the tyres are at the pressure stated on the tyre, I dont have a manual for the bike, so perhaps letting the rear down a few PSI would help?

apetley, you could very well be right, it useually happens going past the market and the roundabout just after, it feels good when this happens, but im not Mick Doohan or Kevin Swchantz, so perhaps i should be a bit more carefull on Thai roads? Cheers, Lickey,,

This is mainly for big bike riders, my 1200XJR Yamaha has a bridgestone rear tyre, ok, it 75% worn now but still has a good tread pattern, thing is if i give it a handfull coming off a roundabout or overtaking a small bike in the local street whatever, the rear wheel/tyre will light up, it will spin, ive gone back and checked this, ive seen the darkies on the road, so is it the Thai tarmac or the tyre? thanks, lickey..
I doubt very much its the tyre,the bridgestone sac compound and the battleaxe range are great tyres,.( unless your tyre has squared off " ) sounds like a typical highly polished thai road with no grip,ive had this endless times including one when i was "pushing on " on my hayabusa and had an awful tank slapper,i went back to take a look thinking it was oil or something, nothing ! but a very shiny surface, i gave up road bikes in thailand after a flying lesson on a zx9 !only my off road experience saved me, i considered it a warning and took heed,. if i cant ride my way ( fast ) then its no way,. :o

Also you are better off running a slightly lower tyre pressure, say 32 /35

Lets face it.... nobody can say anything helpful, we have no idea which Bridgestone tires he is using. A common problem with imported big bikes is that they come from "mostly" colder countries, and in colder countries people most of the time use softer compound tires.

I remember our first Ducati 1098S, imported direct from Italy, I belief it was possible to just follow me by the tire track I leaved behind. After we changed the tires to something what was more suitable to Thai weather it was fine.

@apetley, the shinny reflection you sometimes see, is in simple terms light reflecting from the heat that build up just about the tarmac, this together with colder air turns the tarmac into some form of lens, this also happens in deserts, over water...and commonly know as fatamorgana or mirage

Also you are better off running a slightly lower tyre pressure, say 32 /35

If you tyres are standard Bridgestone fitments for an XJR 1200 Yamaha recommend - front 36psi (2.5 Bar), rear 36 psi. If you are a bit porky (more than 90kg), carrying a pillion or for high speed riding they recommend - front 36 psi, rear 42 psi (2.9 Bar). Use that to start with and lower them a bit if need be. It's a heavy old bike 255kg wet.

Lets face it.... nobody can say anything helpful, we have no idea which Bridgestone tires he is using. A common problem with imported big bikes is that they come from "mostly" colder countries, and in colder countries people most of the time use softer compound tires.

I remember our first Ducati 1098S, imported direct from Italy, I belief it was possible to just follow me by the tire track I leaved behind. After we changed the tires to something what was more suitable to Thai weather it was fine.

@apetley, the shinny reflection you sometimes see, is in simple terms light reflecting from the heat that build up just about the tarmac, this together with colder air turns the tarmac into some form of lens, this also happens in deserts, over water...and commonly know as fatamorgana or mirage

Idont think his problem is compound, ive ridden on most makes of tyres and track tyres and although they will move around they wont usually let go,if you check out working temperatures for these top road tyres you will see that they are suited for almost anywhere, although when i rode the opotic 2000 rally in africa i prefered pirelli mt21s ! :o ,. however you are right about advice, we arent sure of riding style/conditions/ and as he says the tyre is 75 per cent worn, maybe its squared off, that will affect handling,.

I belief you mean the Bridgestone BT-021 tire, which is indeed a good all round tire. For the difference in road conditions for Thailand and the West. If I take the average tarmac temperature (34-40c) of a high-way in Thailand and the average temperature (12c) in Europe.

The difference is on regular good grade tires hard to detect but say we switch our everyday Bridgestone's to Bridgestone Battlax BT-002 semi-track tires, in Europe I would be scared to take them for a ride on a highway. As I probably never get them on the right temperature to get top grip, but in Thailand, getting this Bridgestone track tires up to temperature is not that big problem. Matter of fact with some aggressive driving it would even be possible to let the tires sweat blue jelly compound juice...

But for a big bike with sporting futures I could advice the Bridgestone Battlax BT-002

Edited by Richard-BKK

I belief you mean the Bridgestone BT-021 tire, which is indeed a good all round tire. For the difference in road conditions for Thailand and the West. If I take the average tarmac temperature (34-40c) of a high-way in Thailand and the average temperature (12c) in Europe.

The difference is on regular good grade tires hard to detect but say we switch our everyday Bridgestone's to Bridgestone Battlax BT-002 semi-track tires, in Europe I would be scared to take them for a ride on a highway. As I probably never get them on the right temperature to get top grip, but in Thailand, getting this Bridgestone track tires up to temperature is not that big problem. Matter of fact with some aggressive driving it would even be possible to let the tires sweat blue jelly compound juice...

But for a big bike with sporting futures I could advice the Bridgestone Battlax BT-002

Thought when your tires turn blue, it means compound is beginning to breakdown due to over-heating, then they begin to get greasy and start sliding?

Which is better tire for road/track use BT 12ss or BT 002, ??? (for 600cc) Cheers

Edited by deckx

Both the BT-012ss and the BT-002 are sportbike tires with track capabilities. I would advice going for the Bridgestone BT-002 tire, as the BT-002 has replaced the BT-012ss tire some years ago. The BT-002, is softer than the old BT-012ss, with more give in the carcass and a better feeling for the contact patch on the tarmac.

Matter of fact, your question would even have me wondering at the tire shop, if they have both. The BT-002 fresh from the press or a BT-012ss which maybe hanging around for a few years in the Thai climate…. For my experience rubber and Thai climate not go’s well to long so I will go for the BT-002.

For the Blue hue some tires seem to sweat, it is harmless. Read here Tire shows Blue Hue

Edited by Richard-BKK

Hi, not a mirage, trust me.

The surface really is that polished and glossy that you do get a partial reflection looking down on it, not into the distance.

Anyway, a surface that on occasion lets me power slide a Phantom is 'officially' slippery!

The tyre is a Battlax BT54 R , it could even be original, the bike has a recorded 11000ks in 9 years, its not squared off atall, although obviously the center tread is lower than the outside, unlike my ZZR1100 in the UK, used to go to a lot of european WSB and Moto GPs, all the fast miles in Germany ect would square the rear tyre off after sometimes 3000ks in a fortnight,

When the salon is busy, ie full with pretty girls/ladies and there is not much to do on the farm, I take the bike on a quick blast up to the Mekong river, about 45 ks, there is a brand new road through the hilsides, its black tarmac not really abbrasive, but new, here, the tyre behaves very well, i gun it out of the hairpins ect sometimes wheelie it, and all is good, when i get home and look over the bike, the tyre has rubber like peelings on the outside of the tread.

So i reckon apetley is right, its got to be the road surface, they havent been re-surfaced in years and are very shiny, so a little less right hand twist in the village should cure the problem, thanks everybody for your views and insights, cheers, Lickey..

Just saw this on another forum http://www.kawasakiforums.com/m_216592/tm.htm :D:D scary if you had been going fast !!

I recently bought a some BT90's as by all accounts they are the best tires for 400cc so was very surprised to read that, especially as it happened to a few bikes !!!!

Hope its only their american outfit which is linked to Firestone, surprised that there hasn't been a recall :o