Has Thai Immigration Gotten Stricter Or Is This Airline Hype?

two friends this month had problems on checkin coming to thailand.

friend one. british passport. checkin at london to fly to bkk. had tourist visa and one way ticket on EVA to bkk. EVA made a fuss that he could not board having only a one way ticket and tourist visa. insisted he buy a ticket on the spot out of thailand before he be allowed to board.

friend two. USA passport. checkin at San Francisco to fly to bkk. no visa, planned to do visa on arrival (30 day) and then some travel around SEA. airline United. checkin counter made a fuss because his return ticket was 65 days out and united said could not board without thai visa because return flight beyond the 30 day visa-on-arrival. he told them he planned to travel around SEA and they demanded to see proof (ie tickets) that he was leaving thailand. he doesnt have them yet because he is buying them here. in the end he convinced them to let him board by insisting on talking to a united supervisor and making a scene.

does this just reflect general airline skittishness about risk? in neither case did the airline offer them the "waiver form" which says they are responsible if they are not admitted into the destination country (i have done this form for other countries, so i know it exists, but neither friend was savvy enough to know to ask for this).

or is thai immigration getting stricter or what?

Nothing to do with Thai immigration getting stricker or not,,, all airlines in the world are responsible to ensure their passengers have the proper documents to enter the destination country! If they are refused at the destination by immigration (insufficient documentation), the minimum fine for the airline (in most countries) is approx 5000.00$ + ticket fare back on the 1st flt out! In your two friend's cases, they MIGHT get away with it when entering Thailand (if the immigration officer is sleeping on the switch) but in most of the developped countries around the world they would get a one day visit + a free ticket back!!!

It's worth noting that signs at Sua. do say they want to see a return ticket. I've never been asked though.

pip pip

Have not seen those signs since july or august last year. Think they were only up for a short while.

Just to add my experience to this: Because of my work situation which is unpredictable, I fly into Thailand on one-way tickets on a regular basis. Never been asked for onward tickets at check in or at immigration. (no visa) Have been using several different airlines: BA, KLM, THAI, SAS, Cathay Pacific, Finnair, BKK-Air, Airasia and on..

I have bought cheap onward tickets just to be safe but don't bother anymore, as never asked for it anyway.

friend one. british passport. checkin at london to fly to bkk. had tourist visa and one way ticket on EVA to bkk. EVA made a fuss that he could not board having only a one way ticket and tourist visa. insisted he buy a ticket on the spot out of thailand before he be allowed to board.

friend two. USA passport. checkin at San Francisco to fly to bkk. no visa, planned to do visa on arrival (30 day) and then some travel around SEA. airline United. checkin counter made a fuss because his return ticket was 65 days out and united said could not board without thai visa because return flight beyond the 30 day visa-on-arrival. he told them he planned to travel around SEA and they demanded to see proof (ie tickets) that he was leaving thailand. he doesnt have them yet because he is buying them here. in the end he convinced them to let him board by insisting on talking to a united supervisor and making a scene.

does this just reflect general airline skittishness about risk? in neither case did the airline offer them the "waiver form" which says they are responsible if they are not admitted into the destination country (i have done this form for other countries, so i know it exists, but neither friend was savvy enough to know to ask for this).

This is policy by the Thai immogration. So the Air companys follow them to make things esier. I had the same problem before from Stockholm, Sweden. then I bought a one way ticket to KUala lumpur. And exchenged it back to money in bangkok after I arrived (Finnair) this is a bit of a hassle but it´s just the way things and immigrations work in most countrys today.

Hey 2 classic cases of the staff abiding strictly by the law and new regulations. Try doing it in reverse to NZ or Aust. or USA? it's no different.

I accompanied an Asian colleague recently to the USA and we were harassed vigilantly at every point, but our paperwork was spot on and we were let through. These are the new paranoid systems post 911 and this is just what we have to live with now. Forget freedom thanks to G. Bush and his cronies. This is G Orwell's prophecy coming into reality.

America needs to look closely at itself before it decides to start dictating its philosophies and jurisdictions to other countries. eg Iraq etc. (People in glass houses... )

Understand the reality people. The media won't give it to you, you have to find it out for yourself. Thank God and Buddha and whomever for the internet!

Just wondering if you were to buy a train ticket Bkk or Surat to say K.L. or Penang would that be acceptable without having to buy a return ticket. Most people have friends in LOS that could buy the train ticket and post it over.

The rules say a confirmed outbound airticket.

:D I fly EVA on commute trips to the SFO and AMS from BKK and appreciate the excellent service and good food but my experiences with counter personnel are similar of those of the other writers. With EVA the secret solution to any problem with a counter person is the demand to talk with the station chief/supervisor. :o

It is my opinion that the EVA in-service training for the counter personnel is terrible. :D My companion and I were refused boarding, with business-class confirmation tickets in hand, recently in SFO for a flight to AMS through TPE & BKK because my credit card numbers did not match the on-line confirmation. (Replacement card for one stolen.) The counter folks were in a total quandary as to what to do. Six agents formed a debating team and in Chinese, :bah: which my companion speaks, argued as to what to do. The team literally became immobilized but did, strangely and without my objection, and with broad smiles all around, check our luggage through to the aircraft with AMS flags! My companion panicked :D but I told him to hush up as I knew what was coming having been on the board of an airline.

Their final solution was to take us to a business computer center where I repurchased the open jaw tickets on-line at which point we were five minutes from push back (and you know the 5-minute rule). We were finally boarded after all this with the second push-back time now being 55 minutes later than the scheduled departure time. They wanted to book us on the next-day flight but when I pointed out that our luggage was already in the cargo hold and that I would notify SFO FAA (after the flight was on wheels up) that our unaccompanied luggage would be flying without us, (a big no-no in the industry) the sup recalled the plane, which was now rolling on the taxi way to the departure strip, back to the gate and boarded us. The SFO counter also charged me a $200 "change fee" which I paid just to get the hel_l out of Dodge.

This was very expensive for EVA (wasted fuel and a ding with the FAA for false departure, extra fuel to make up the time to TPE for outbound connections, irate on-board passengers, blocking of the bay for an in-coming, etc.) :D The sup in TPE refunded the additional ticket costs and fees and apologized profusely. The sups at BKK and AMS had been alerted about the incident by the SFO sup and there was more bowing and scraping at those two stations and royal treatment in the EVA first class Evergreen lounges.

Poor in-service training is a disaster for the air carriers. :bah:

Again, the secret is to demand the station sup: :o His ass in on the line for the conduct of his staff and operations and especially, customer relaltions. I am sure that this poor SFO station chief was raked over the coals for this episode. I must say, however, that these are isolated incidents with EVA but when they occur they are whoppers. The SFO chief quietly thanked me for not waiting until after wheels-up. He knew his career would be ending at that moment otherwise. ;)

The amusing factor in all of this was that some of the business class passengers (yes, we had business class tickets from the beginning! EVA has equal opportunity harassment regardless of class) thought that we were air marshals arriving late. They enjoyed the SFO-TPE leg immensely because of the immediate protection. But the cabin crew knew the story and we received the best service imaginable. :D

in theory one ought to be able to buy an onward ticket via air asia's website to wherever they have a special. these can be very very cheap. they offer insurance---i've never actually used the insurance but it *says* your'e covered if you change you flight, if i'm not mistaken.

i suspect for most airlines throwing a tantrum and saying you're going to Lao by bus, or Malaysia by train, or some such would work too.

My companion and I were refused boarding, with business-class confirmation tickets in hand, recently in SFO for a flight to AMS through TPE & BKK because my credit card numbers did not match the on-line confirmation. (Replacement card for one stolen.)

Was not the whole problem/situation you describe basically your own fault? Every travel agent/website booking I have made make it clear that you may be asked to show the credit card that you used to make the flight booking at check-in (and could be denied boarding if not produced). Now, admittedly this is not often done but I have always understood that it is a possibility.

If you made this booking with one card, and then the card was lost/stolen and replaced with another, is it not YOUR responsibility to take some sort of documentation (or maybe keep the old card around at least until this flight) to show this fact?

Is not the production of the credit card part of the security screening/passenger identity process?

Hmmmmm.... I always fly EVA between BKK and the States, so this likewise is a concern to me... In the past, I've always had return reservations, even though I live in BKK. So my tickets have always been LA to BKK and then back to LA six months or a year later. But, sometimes it's hard to purchase affordable EVA tickets at the 6 mo or 1 year return validity vs. the shorter 3 month term. So I can see needing to do a one way ticket (LA to BKK) in the future if I can't get the longer return flight.

So, I checked the IATA web site mentioned above for American citizens traveling to Thailand, and believe it shows exactly the opposite answer (return/onward travel documentation required) from what the site says for Brits traveling to Thailand (one way travel OK)... Is that really true????

See copy of IATA info for American traveling to Thailand, below:

timlogo.gif / 28JAN08 / 0718 UTC

National U.S.A. (US) /Transit U.S.A. (US)

Destination THAILAND (TH)

ALSO CHECK DESTINATION INFORMATION BELOW

vi_tr.gif

U.S.A. (US)

vi_de.gif

THAILAND (TH)

in_on_no.gif

Passport required, which must be valid at least 6 months and

in good condition.

Visa not required for a max. stay of 30 days, provided

coming for touristic purposes. Extension possible.

Fee THB 1,900.- (1 photo required).

Note: there is a max. limit of a total of 90 days stay within

any 6 month period.

Return/onward ticket is required. (emphasis added)

If holding APEC Business Travel Card (clearly stating on the reverse that it is valid for travel to Thailand):

visa not required, for a max. stay of 90 days, provided APEC

card is accompanied by passport and, in the case of being a

resident of Hong Kong, a Hong Kong Permanent Resident Identity Card.

Visitor must hold all documents for next destination.

If being over 12 years old, visitor must also hold sufficient

funds to cover stay (at least THB 20,000.- approx. USD 640.-

per person/family).

Proof of funds includes letter of credit, vouchers, MCO's or

well-known credit cards (not applicable if holding re-entry

visa).

Non-compliance with the visa regulations will result in:

- refusal and immediate deportation of passenger;

- fines for the airline of THB 20,000,-;

- overstay fine for passenger of THB 500,- per day (but not

exceeding in total THB 20,000.-).

CHECK TINEWS/N6 - IRAQI N SERIES PASSPORTS

Timaticweb Version 1.3

Or...depending on how you read the IATA text, do they mean return/onward ticket is required ONLY if you arrive under the 30-day no visa arrival provisions they mention above???? (And not if you arrive on a tourist or non-imm B visa???)

But then, there's the subsequent language after (and separate) from the APEC provisions:

Visitor must hold all documents for next destination.

And that comes just before the general provisions talking about proof of money for the stay.

Yikes...I can't tell....

About the credit card problem mentioned above, every time I've flown EVA out of either LA or BKK I have been asked to show the credit card I used to make the ticket purchase. I can't remember ever NOT being asked that. And, as another poster mentioned, the airlines (including EVA) are very clear about that requirement.

If I had that problem arise (having a lost or stolen credit card after the ticket purchase but before the flight), I'd think a good solution would be to contact the airline/EVA customer service AHEAD of the flight, inform them of what happened, and seek their advice. Perhaps they could update in your travel records in their system, substituting your new/replacement credit card as the one of record.

Either that, or they probably could also issue you a new/replacement E-ticket e-mail with the updated credit card info.

These days, I'd never chance going to the airport unless I was sure the credit card in my wallet matched the one used for the ticket purchase.

About the credit card problem mentioned above, every time I've flown EVA out of either LA or BKK I have been asked to show the credit card I used to make the ticket purchase. I can't remember ever NOT being asked that. And, as another poster mentioned, the airlines (including EVA) are very clear about that requirement.

What if you are purchasing a ticket for someone else on your credit card? I guess you have to give them your credit card for their trip to Thailand or go with them to the airport.

From my experience, you cannot (at least online) use your own credit card to purchase an airline ticket solely for another person.

You can purchase for yourself and others included. But you can't do an online credit card purchase solely for others flying, but not for yourself.

I tried to purchase an airline ticket for a Thai GF before, and got that same response. Caveat: I'm only talking about online airticket purchases using credit cards -- not thru travel agents or other means.

What if you are purchasing a ticket for someone else on your credit card? I guess you have to give them your credit card for their trip to Thailand or go with them to the airport.

I bought an eticket on line with BA, from the UK for my GF to fly BKK - LHR. She got to airport checkin and was asked for the creditt card. She ecplained the situation and ended up phoning me on her mobile. She then put me on to the checkin desk and I gave them my c/c number. No worries. Bit daft but might be worth remembering for the next poor sod.

happy days

The 'must have ticket out of Thailand' requirement can reach bizarre proportions. In March of '06 I was using the return portion of a Malaysian Airlines Biz class mileage ticket BKK - FRA - BKK I had obtained the year before from the NWA office in BKK.

I had bought online with Malaysian Airlines a o/w BKK - MAN e-ticket for the return part and in order to satisfy the requirement of an onward ticket. Upon early check-in the Fraport employee refused to accept this, stating it needed to be a confirmed PAPER ticket! And this in the age of e-tickets! So, I told her that since this was MAS check-in she should feel free to print me one if she so desired. Can't do that at the airport, of course. I was sent away from the counter as no supervisor seemed to be available at 8am. I got close to causing a scene, my luggage had to be x-rayed all over again. I was just not a happy camper.

In the end I was checked in and they let me go to the lounge but didn't let me onto the flight without signing a waiver form!

Ever since then MAS, as well as Fraport employees have 'enjoyed' a 'special' reputation with me.

Buying a ticket with credit card for a third person : from SQ pages

if you are not part of the travelling party,you are required to sign and present a Letter of Indemnity and your payment card for verification at the nearest SIA Ticketing office before travel is allowed.

Worst case scenario, what's the cheapest option for an onward flight in the region? Say a cheap flight to Singapore for example.

Do any airlines have a low admin charge if I was to cancel it after I've arrived in Bangkok?

Check Bangkok Airways (USD 30, but really great with 'open tickets').

First time in 10 years travelling on one way tickets to Thailand, I was asked to show my visa which is in another passport than the one I use in and out of Japan.

This was at Narita airport (Tokyo) last 28 january with Singapore Airlines.

Edited by Krub

A friend reported that on Tuesday afternoon there was mass confusion at Swampypoon Immigration desks as the immi officers were asking for the proof of booking a trip out of the country, and accommodation booking for all 30 day visitors. Much angst and confusion for some. :o

My friend waived his passport at a passing official showing a non-immi visa and was escorted from the "other passport holders" line to the Thai passport holders line, where he got processed with great efficiency. :D

I checked in with EVA at Heathrow last night with a one way ticket to Bangkok and tourist visa last night and no problem. However, the plane was just announced as delayed by 12 hours so they were kind of frantic dealing with a huge annoyed line. I'm still in London right now. Fly in about 3 hours

They also let a 40kg suitcase check in (20kg allowance) with no overcharge!! RESULT!! :o

A friend reported that on Tuesday afternoon there was mass confusion at Swampypoon Immigration desks as the immi officers were asking for the proof of booking a trip out of the country, and accommodation booking for all 30 day visitors. Much angst and confusion for some. :o

IF people think that is something new.... just wait.

Airport Immigration Counter Conversation (March 2008):

"Ok, sir, we see you have your confirmed onward ticket with you and the pre-paid hotel reservation confirmation for the 3 weeks you'll be in Thailand, so that's all sorted, but your check-in binder doesn't contain the certified copy of your pre-paid car rental agreement. Just how were you planning to get around during your stay? I am sad to also say the folder lacks the required credit card pre-approved verification for the restaurant meals you'll be consuming during your stay here in the Land of Smiles; outside the free ABF your hotel reservation covers you for, of course."

Edited by sriracha john

IF people think that is something new.... just wait.

Airport Immigration Counter Conversation (March 2008):

"Ok, sir, we see you have your confirmed onward ticket with you and the pre-paid hotel reservation confirmation for the 3 weeks you'll be in Thailand, so that's all sorted, but your check-in binder doesn't contain the certified copy of your pre-paid car rental agreement. Just how were you planning to get around during your stay? I am sad to also say the folder lacks the required credit card pre-approved verification for the restaurant meals you'll be consuming during your stay here in the Land of Smiles; outside the free ABF your hotel reservation covers you for, of course."

You forgot to mention needing a Tor-Por-Sor-403 form for every province you intend to visit during your stay in Thailand, duly signed by the governor of that province. :D

Yes, sometimes the binder is so full you can easily overlook that one, but don't forget also.... you need 3 notarized copies of the Governor-approved-Tor-Por-Sor-403.

That was last week. Now they want four copies of the Tor-Por-Sor-403 along with a passport-sized photo of each Governor. :o

The same is happening out of Australia ,unless you have the appropriate visa[non-immigrant or retirement] you cannot board with a one-way ticket,so i suggest that this directive has come from the Thai authorities.

• 3 weeks later...

First the good news. Today I received confirmation that I will get a full refund from EVA on the air ticket I had to buy at Heathrow, (see my previous post). The bad news is that EVA will pay the refund into my Thai bank account, but this will take two to three months! And as the exchange rate is dropping, I reckon I will end up about 7 thousand Baht short.

The email I received simply stated that I will get a full refund and sorry for the delay. I really think that I should get a full apology.

I have travelled with EVA quite few times, and and have always been been impressed with their aircraft, and have enjoyed travelling with them (as much as you can enjoy a 12 hour flight). I've got to go back to England in four months time, and you can guess who I won't be going with. But more to the point, I don't want this to happen all over again. So if I go armed with Maestro's printout, a re-entry permit, and a valid 1 year non O visa, do you think I'll be safe.

Poolsiri_Ron

I have come to Thailand numerous on times on a 3 entry Toursit Visa issued by Thai consulate (not stamp on entry) and came with a one-way ticket. I now have a Non-B and also came on a one-way ticket. It is my undertanding that a holder of any Visa, other than a transit Visa, does not need a return ticket to enter Thailand.

Edited by jackbox