Has Thai Immigration Gotten Stricter Or Is This Airline Hype?

two friends this month had problems on checkin coming to thailand.

friend one. british passport. checkin at london to fly to bkk. had tourist visa and one way ticket on EVA to bkk. EVA made a fuss that he could not board having only a one way ticket and tourist visa. insisted he buy a ticket on the spot out of thailand before he be allowed to board.

friend two. USA passport. checkin at San Francisco to fly to bkk. no visa, planned to do visa on arrival (30 day) and then some travel around SEA. airline United. checkin counter made a fuss because his return ticket was 65 days out and united said could not board without thai visa because return flight beyond the 30 day visa-on-arrival. he told them he planned to travel around SEA and they demanded to see proof (ie tickets) that he was leaving thailand. he doesnt have them yet because he is buying them here. in the end he convinced them to let him board by insisting on talking to a united supervisor and making a scene.

does this just reflect general airline skittishness about risk? in neither case did the airline offer them the "waiver form" which says they are responsible if they are not admitted into the destination country (i have done this form for other countries, so i know it exists, but neither friend was savvy enough to know to ask for this).

or is thai immigration getting stricter or what?

...Talking to the supervisor or referring them to the IATA website should solve the problem

This is the website to which the IATA website sends you and which also the airlines use:

http://www.delta.com/planning_reservations...rt_information/

EVA air was overdoing it when they asked a passenger with a tourist visa for confirmed onward travel out of Thailand. Mind you, in some countries it is the Thai consulates that ask for the same with an application for a tourist visa.

In the US case, the passenger had no visa and a return flight 65 days after arrival in Thailand. Here, the check-in staff acted correctly.

--

Maestro

Don’t know about the US as I haven't been there in some time, but took 2 trips to UK last year and in both cases when leaving my visa was verified at check-in (Lufthansa) as I was flying into Thailand on the return part of the ticket. I know this as they could not find it in my rather full passport and I had to show them the re-entry permit. Flying around Asia for the past several years, visa is always checked when flying back to Thailand.

TH

I was another caught by EVA at the end of last year. I now live in Thailand, and bought a return ticket Bangkok-London-Bangkok. I have a valid year's Non O visa. At Heathrow, check-in insisted that I have a flight out of Thailand. When I pointed out that I live in Thailand, and didn't need to go out of the country, the woman then said that I did not have all of the necessary documents. When I asked which documents she meant, she replied a residency permit, or something like that! I had to buy a return ticket for 800 pounds. New rules just introduced in the last three months they said. Funnily enough, it was only at one of the check-in desks that these rules were being imposed. I travelled to England last year with EVA in exactly the same way, and had no problems at all. Thai immigration let me into the country without asking for an onward flight - I'd left this blank on my departure card, (just to see what would happen) nor did they ask to see an onward ticket. I went EVA office in Bangkok and asked for a refund on the tickets I was forced to buy. They agreed immediately, but charged me 100 pounds administration fee for each leg. When I asked if a re-entry permit or a residency permit would be acceptable extra documentation in the future, they could not assure me that they would be. They suggested that I buy a cheap flight to KL.

As I go in and out of Thailand at least every 90 days (obviously), this is the first time that this has happened to me. So was I unlucky - possibly. Am I researching re-enty permits and residency permits - of course. Actually, EVA office in Bangkok would be interested in my findings.

PS - sarcastic comments about learning how to read I do not find at all useful.

I believe one reasons airlines are tighter now, is that if someone is refused entry, the airline will have to fly them back to where they came from - extra expense and problem for the airlines.

it happened to me once or twice in my backpacking days when I was travelling overland (though not for Thailand).

Airlines have every right to refuse you boarding, as they are scared they'll be fined and be forced to fly you back.

The upside is though, you just buy their most expensive one way ticket out of the place you are travelling to - which are fully refundable. Enjoy your tryp and just get a refund later.

Has not applied to me of the people I know, but I have read about people printing off "internet" confirmations of onward "tickets" with fancy e-ticket references etc knocked up on a computer with a rough timetable of transits through Thailand and hotel "bookings" in Laos, Singapore etc. Use of a photocopier and the original letterhead from the agency that sold the one way ticket can achieve wonders.

This has been (I have read) been accepted as the proof that you are a real live travelling tourist.

As for the return flight to your own country, again an email corrispondence or other "booking" with a Hong Kong Based travel agency back home would complete your "tour" documentation.

I had to buy a return ticket for 800 pounds. New rules just introduced in the last three months they said. Funnily enough, it was only at one of the check-in desks that these rules were being imposed.

it was enough to go to the another check in desk rather than lose £200

I'm flying one way to Thailand from Heathrow on EVA in a couple of weeks with a tourist visa, so this concerns me.

I've just called EVA in London and said I'd read on the internet that EVA is forcing people to buy a return ticket at check in. They said they're going to check in to it and call me back.

Let's see what they say and find out for sure.

Re my comment about only one check-in desk enforcing rules. I only found out because I was redirected to an information desk where five other people were in the same boat as me, and they told me they had been refused at the same desk. By that time it was too late.

Re the comment about tickets being fully refundable. I understand that a hefty administration fee will always be levied.

I got the call back and the woman said that on EVA's internal system any stay over 30 days with a visa requires a return ticket to board.

I told her that IATA and the Thai Embassy say differently.

The airport office at Heathrow opens at 2 p.m. UK time so she'll call them then and call me back.

She suggested bringing the printout from the IATA site, but if any of you have gone to it the results aren't very convincing as a printout.

I have also tried to find the page from the Thai Embassy but I'm only getting a 404 from the Thai Embassy website!!!!!!!!!

I jokingly said I should lie and say I'm going to stay only 29 days. She said that might work! But I said that's not reassuring and want to know what's going to happen when I check in. So she's going to check

I flew EVA LHR - BKK on a one year open return and was never asked about a visa. I had an onward ticket via another airline but they never asked for it. This flight was last July so this must be a recent thing with the airline.

btw I came through immigration at BKK that trip on a 30 day exemption stamp showing the open return but the officer just waved it away, didn't even look at it. I must have an honest face :o .

You could say you're travelling overland to Krabi, and get a one way ticket from there to Kuala Lumpur. Look on AirAsia's site and hunt for any promotions. You should be able to get a flight for about 1500-2000 Baht. Tickets are non-refundable though.

Thanks very much. That's a lot better than a £100 admin fee to EVA!

She suggested bringing the printout from the IATA site, but if any of you have gone to it the results aren't very convincing as a printout...

See attachment. It looks convincing enough to me, as it tells me that in those cases where a visa is needed and if the passenger has a visa, then “Travelling on one-way ticket is allowed”.

Suggestion: next time you have the EVA lady on the phone, ask her to bring the rule she is talking about up on her computer screen and read it out to you. Better even, have her email you the respective URL, then post it here.

--

Maestro

Theyreallrubbish, just in case you should happen to get the same ignorant check-in person that poolsiriron got, print out that page I gave you to show. No, better ask for a supervisor, so that he/she may teach the check-in person the correct procedure.

--

Maestro

Theyreallrubbish, just in case you should happen to get the same ignorant check-in person that poolsiriron got, print out that page I gave you to show. No, better ask for a supervisor, so that he/she may teach the check-in person the correct procedure.

--

Maestro

Hi Maestro, I couldn't see the attachment. Am I missing something or did you mean the original link?

Theyreallrubbish-hope everything goes OK. Seeing that EVA say that you won't need an onward ticket, I'm determined to try to get the 200 pound admin fee back as well. To Maestro, I'd like to use the page you talked about, but as this is the first time I've ever used a forum, please forgive my ignorance, but could you please tell me where your attachment is.

Poolsiri_ron

FYI

About 18 months ago I booked online with Jetstar, Melb. to BKK. one way got to check in and they insisted I buy a return ticket or I couldn't board. OK, so I went to the only travel agen - forget name -and joined the line. There must have been 20 people there and the travel agents couldn't stop smiling. Gave up waiting and went back to Jetstar and bought a first class return. I cancelled it arrival and got the refund a month later. I called Jetstar and asked them what the go was. The customer service person checked and double checked and came back to say, categorically, that I didn't need a return. Guess what? Yup. 3 months later I got stung again. Got a bit of a win in that the Jetstar check in super actually booked my return and then printed out the itinerary for me. She then cancelled the ticket on the spot :o

What a star.

Since then I've flown Qantas and they've never insited on a return, regardless of visa.

For those that don't know JetStar is Qantas.

It's worth noting that signs at Sua. do say they want to see a return ticket. I've never been asked though.

pip pip

Jetstar, Mebourne in particular, always make a fuss about this return ticket matter.

I've always had a flight out of Thailand somewhere during my stay, so have been lucky, or if you have an actual Tourist or Non Immigrant Visa other than relying on a 30 day entry, you 'should' also be okay!

I've often wondered however, why should one be required to have an actual air ticket out of Thailand. Many I'm sure, travel onward to say Cambodia or other countries bordering Thailand by road or sea!

This situation is something that needs further clarification by the airlines, particularly Jetstar who seem to be the main offenders at the Australian end.

Have flown Melbourne to BKK via Singapore on Singapore Airlines many times, with only a plane change at Changi and never been queried by SQ.

"Jandajoy" I take it if you are using Qantas out of Melbourne, you are plane changing in Sydney or Singapore?

Edited by fishhooks

Yes, mate. Syd. Which is a pain. The 9 hour Jetstar is ok but for this return ticket nonsense. How many people fly in, pick up a thirty day and then hit Camb. or Laos a couple of times?

It really is a nonsense and I do wonder how much of this is Thai Immigration and how much is JetStar et al. The boosting of ticket sales is pretty important in this day and age.

N.B. For anyone flying Jetstar... take sandwiches and drink. The food sold on board is overpriced and micro trash. Drinks come in little plastic envelopes that even the hosties are embarrassed serving. Other than that it's ok. 2 wings a few engines and seats. You even get to sit inside.

pip pip