Thai Junta Call It Quits, Vows No More Coups

george

Thai junta call it quits, vows no more coups

BANGKOK: -- The military council which ousted Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra in a 2006 putsch disbanded itself on Tuesday and promised there would be no more coups as a Thaksin-backed coalition prepared to take office.

The Council for National Security (CNS), widely derided for presiding over an inept government, also called on politicians to stay out of military affairs, suggesting it feared vengeful Thaksin supporters in office.

"Everybody in the CNS, especially the army commander-in-chief, insist there will be no more coups," CNS spokesman Sunsern Kaewkumnerd told reporters.

"In a political transition into a full democracy, which is a sensitive period for all sides, the military should not be involved in politics and politicians should not interfere with the military," he said.

"Therefore, we need a politically neutral person to be defence minister," Sunsern said a month after elections in which the openly pro-Thaksin People Power Party fell just short of an overall majority.

That call followed newspaper reports that Samak Sundaravej, the firebrand PPP leader determined to become prime minister, would also become defence minister.

But the military is in a weak position after the elections proved Thaksin's abiding popularity in the countryside where the majority of Thais live, despite CNS attempts to eradicate his influence.

The PPP campaigned on Thaksin's populist platform and told people a vote for the party was a vote for Thaksin. The former prime minister was ousted months after street protests began against him in Bangkok and faces corruption charges when he returns from exile.

Political analysts saw the results of the December 23 election as a vote against the coup and criticism of the military is becoming ever more trenchant.

"The generals have proved unfit in their handling of post-coup Thailand," Chulalongkorn University political scientist Thitinan Pongsudhirak wrote in Tuesday's Bangkok Post.

"Policy directions have been murky, leadership incompetent, overall administration inept. The generals have made themselves obsolete by botching their latest putsch," he said. The generals accused Thaksin of presiding over rampant corruption and of disrespect toward revered King Bhumibol Adulyadej -- charges he denies -- but an anti-graft panel they appointed has come up with only one case against him.

They also failed to eradicate his Thai Rak Thai (Thais Love Thais) party despite its court-ordered dissolution for electoral fraud and the banning of Thaksin and 110 senior party members from politics for five years.

Thai Rak Thai members simply took over the almost defunct PPP, which is expected to take office at the head of a coalition government and occupy the most powerful ministries some time next month.

--Reuters 2008-02-22

Military junta holds its last meeting

BANGKOK: -- The Council for National Security (CNS) spokesman Sansern Kaewkamnerd announced the end of the role of the CNS Tuesday, a few hours after the House of Representatives convened its first meeting.

Col Sansern told reporters the CNS members will not hold any press conferences from now on but they will still meet as leaders of the armed forces to coordinate their work.

The weekly meeting of the CNS on Tuesday was the final one, as the 2007 constitution stated that its role is over when a new government is formed.

Col Sansern said the CNS members discussed qualifications for a new defence minister and all agreed that the person should be a military figure and should not be a member of any political party.

He also said the CNS will not interfere in the selection of potential candidates.

--Bangkok Post 2008-02-22

Related news:

Thailand's Parliament convenes first session since 2006 coup

Read more:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=165226

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"In a political transition into a full democracy, which is a sensitive period for all sides, the military should not be involved in politics and politicians should not interfere with the military," he said.

what a strange statement that is. The Government should be able to control the military. Well thats how it works in most other countries.

what a strange statement that is. The Government should be able to control the military. Well thats how it works in most other countries.

it has been suggested in some quarters that the coup was prompted by Thaksin replacing key military leaders with his pals. i suspect this is true and also suspect that this statement is specifically directed at that.

Of course the military doesn't want the government in charge of them. The coup was illegal and some generals could possibly go to jail. The military is giving warning that as long as they are not challenged there will be no trouble and no coup, BUT............

So long... pathetic clowns !

Go back to your barracks and clean your boots and the floors.

Or flee outside the country, like General Sonthi (the national disgrace) who left Thailand to "visit the muslim world".

What a bunch of jerks.

However... before the shiny-uniforms lovers start to react... I would like to add that pro-Thaksins politicians... are exactly the same breed.

That's the beauty of the situation ! They are ALL bozos, equally.

And we're going to have a great show now with Samak as PM...

But again, you shall remember the official motto : "everything will be fine after the elections". :o

Edited by cclub75

Thai junta call it quits, vows no more coups

BANGKOK: -- The military council which ousted Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra in a 2006 putsch disbanded itself on Tuesday and promised there would be no more coups as a Thaksin-backed coalition prepared to take office.

The Council for National Security (CNS), widely derided for presiding over an inept government, also called on politicians to stay out of military affairs, suggesting it feared vengeful Thaksin supporters in office.

"Everybody in the CNS, especially the army commander-in-chief, insist there will be no more coups," CNS spokesman Sunsern Kaewkumnerd told reporters.

"Therefore, we need a politically neutral person to be defence minister," Sunsern said a month after elections in which the openly pro-Thaksin People Power Party fell just short of an overall majority.

That call followed newspaper reports that Samak Sundaravej, the firebrand PPP leader determined to become prime minister, would also become defence minister.

But the military is in a weak position after the elections proved Thaksin's abiding popularity in the countryside where the majority of Thais live, despite CNS attempts to eradicate his influence.

The PPP campaigned on Thaksin's populist platform and told people a vote for the party was a vote for Thaksin. The former prime minister was ousted months after street protests began against him in Bangkok and faces corruption charges when he returns from exile.

Political analysts saw the results of the December 23 election as a vote against the coup and criticism of the military is becoming ever more trenchant.

"The generals have proved unfit in their handling of post-coup Thailand," Chulalongkorn University political scientist Thitinan Pongsudhirak wrote in Tuesday's Bangkok Post.

"Policy directions have been murky, leadership incompetent, overall administration inept. The generals have made themselves obsolete by botching their latest putsch," he said. The generals accused Thaksin of presiding over rampant corruption and of disrespect toward revered King Bhumibol Adulyadej -- charges he denies -- but an anti-graft panel they appointed has come up with only one case against him.

They also failed to eradicate his Thai Rak Thai (Thais Love Thais) party despite its court-ordered dissolution for electoral fraud and the banning of Thaksin and 110 senior party members from politics for five years.

Thai Rak Thai members simply took over the almost defunct PPP, which is expected to take office at the head of a coalition government and occupy the most powerful ministries some time next month.

--Reuters 2008-02-22

Military junta holds its last meeting

BANGKOK: -- The Council for National Security (CNS) spokesman Sansern Kaewkamnerd announced the end of the role of the CNS Tuesday, a few hours after the House of Representatives convened its first meeting.

Col Sansern told reporters the CNS members will not hold any press conferences from now on but they will still meet as leaders of the armed forces to coordinate their work.

The weekly meeting of the CNS on Tuesday was the final one, as the 2007 constitution stated that its role is over when a new government is formed.

Col Sansern said the CNS members discussed qualifications for a new defence minister and all agreed that the person should be a military figure and should not be a member of any political party.

He also said the CNS will not interfere in the selection of potential candidates.

--Bangkok Post 2008-02-22

Related news:

Thailand's Parliament convenes first session since 2006 coup

Read more:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=165226

For the junta to make such a promise is tantamount to an admission that this one was a mistake- it was WRONG. If circumstances justified the coup of 09/06, why wouldn't the same set of circumstances justify a new coup? Or are they admitting that the coup of 16 months ago was, in fact, NOT JUSTIFIED.

Edited by blaze

it has been suggested in some quarters that the coup was prompted by Thaksin replacing key military leaders with his pals. i suspect this is true and also suspect that this statement is specifically directed at that.

We live in interesting times.

Yes, indeed. Yet another embarrassing statement on behalf of the military establishment, many of whom clearly persist in their determination to be a law unto themselves; and note the inane proposal that the defence minister should be someone at odds with the government. Maybe the PPP can instill a little discipline into the upper echelons of the Thai war machine.

Yes, indeed. Yet another embarrassing statement on behalf of the military establishment, many of whom clearly persist in their determination to be a law unto themselves; and note the inane proposal that the defence minister should be someone at odds with the government. Maybe the PPP can instill a little discipline into the upper echelons of the Thai war machine.

I remember reading an article a few months before the coup, and a general was quoted as saying the military had no interest in politics and would stay out. Now they say they're quitting. Reminds me of the quip in the book "Confessions of a Bangkok Private Eye" where the author describes how you know a Thai bar girl is lying...her lips are moving. And if her lips aren't moving, she's planning her next lie...

"In a political transition into a full democracy, which is a sensitive period for all sides, the military should not be involved in politics and politicians should not interfere with the military" he said.

I completely agree. I noticed that statement too and was about to say the same thing. With a mindset like that, you can't help but think there's going to be another confrontation somewhere down the line.

Thaksin however is not the person to make the same mistake twice, so I hope he can advise the government to put some proper barriers / resistance in place to make people think twice about doing another coup. Realistically though he'll probably continue to work within the newly established bounds, knowing there's no way any politician or party could win against the military and their backers.

I agree. I would go further and say it is bizarre.

If the Government is to be in control of all aspects of policy, both internal and external, then it certainly needs to be in charge of Defence.

How would the Generals - unconstrained politically - react to an instruction to defend Thailand against an external threat or tp participate with an ally not of their choosing in war games? Would they operate an Army foreign policy independent of that of the civilian Executive and Parliament? How could that possibly work? And what would happen if the Army, Air Force and Navy disagreed about the threat that Thailand might be facing? Who would arbitrate? Who would command?

How would the Generals pay for themselves? In a normally functioning parliamentary system the Executive presents a set of budgets - including Defence - to Parliament for scrutiny, amendment and approval. As the Executive and Parliament will now be civilian how will the Generals get their financing if the Army is not to be interfered with by politicians. And what could possibly be the role of a "neutral" Defence Minister? In what way could he/she be independent of the Executive and Parliament?

Like Thailand, the UK is a Constitutional Monarchy. In my youth we held the Queen in no less esteem than Thais now hold the King. I recall that my oath on joining HM Royal Marines was to serve Her Majesty and "those set in authority over me". "Those set in authority over me" included politicians for whom I may not have voted, may even have despised but I did not have the choice that seems to be demanded by the Generals to serve whomever they choose at their own whim.

I may have missed something else in the re-writing of the Constitution. Have the Generals granted themselves immunity from prosecution for the coup?

It seems from the statements in the above article that there is only one way the Generals can be confident of achieving their aspirations (of no political interference in their affairs) and that is always to have the threat of a further coup in reserve.

Lucky Thailand to have reverted to democracy. Now, Thai Government, you need to get the military back into their barracks and obedient to the will of the people's representatives in Parliament. Good luck with that!

As I just finished reading the article on the current market panic, it seems to me that the only constant since I have lived here is that the various Thai governments have impeccable timing. Hand over to the new Government within 24 hrs of a possible world wide market crash. A challenge to conduct business this way...

Good riddance to bad rubbish.

I think few people in this country have any idea how badly the coup damaged Thailand's international reputation. Two years ago Thailand was considered the brightest beacon of democracy in Southeast Asia. Then one morning we all woke up in Myanmar East.

It will take a generation to repair Thailand's standing.

Anyone opening a betting book on the timing of the next coup?

Let's open one when the day comes, that coup takers are held personally responsible for raping democracy. And let's open one when the rich and self confessed elite has finished a bit more schooling and understands how democracy works,. that a vote of a poor man is as valuable as one of a rich one.

But as the elite has no manners, I am sure that there will be another coup.

I agree. I would go further and say it is bizarre.

If the Government is to be in control of all aspects of policy, both internal and external, then it certainly needs to be in charge of Defence.

How would the Generals - unconstrained politically - react to an instruction to defend Thailand against an external threat or tp participate with an ally not of their choosing in war games? Would they operate an Army foreign policy independent of that of the civilian Executive and Parliament? How could that possibly work? And what would happen if the Army, Air Force and Navy disagreed about the threat that Thailand might be facing? Who would arbitrate? Who would command?

How would the Generals pay for themselves? In a normally functioning parliamentary system the Executive presents a set of budgets - including Defence - to Parliament for scrutiny, amendment and approval. As the Executive and Parliament will now be civilian how will the Generals get their financing if the Army is not to be interfered with by politicians. And what could possibly be the role of a "neutral" Defence Minister? In what way could he/she be independent of the Executive and Parliament?

Like Thailand, the UK is a Constitutional Monarchy. In my youth we held the Queen in no less esteem than Thais now hold the King. I recall that my oath on joining HM Royal Marines was to serve Her Majesty and "those set in authority over me". "Those set in authority over me" included politicians for whom I may not have voted, may even have despised but I did not have the choice that seems to be demanded by the Generals to serve whomever they choose at their own whim.

I may have missed something else in the re-writing of the Constitution. Have the Generals granted themselves immunity from prosecution for the coup?

It seems from the statements in the above article that there is only one way the Generals can be confident of achieving their aspirations (of no political interference in their affairs) and that is always to have the threat of a further coup in reserve.

Lucky Thailand to have reverted to democracy. Now, Thai Government, you need to get the military back into their barracks and obedient to the will of the people's representatives in Parliament. Good luck with that!

You joyfully write: "Lucky Thailand to have reverted to democracy." - but I'm afraid that this beautiful nation is not at all ready for what we term "democracy", that much is obvious. Look at the facts; most parties recently bought votes (wholesale/Retail & any other "sale) from the gullible majority in Thailand. Ofcourse Thaksin is getting back in, since he made big promises and (inadvertently) also did some positive things. All the while though, he's been filling his pockets like there's no tomorrow . . . . . .

No; this Kingdom is being run by greedy little boys, who are pretending to do an honest man's job ! ! There certainly not ready for a "democracy", what we need here is a "Benevolent Dictator", but where on earth do you find one of them ? ? ?

The next feww months are going to be incredible; I am holding my breath ! ! !

Good riddance to bad rubbish.

I think few people in this country have any idea how badly the coup damaged Thailand's international reputation. Two years ago Thailand was considered the brightest beacon of democracy in Southeast Asia. Then one morning we all woke up in Myanmar East.

It will take a generation to repair Thailand's standing.

By WHO? The boys on the chairs next to you in the pub?

No sane person would claim the Thailand was any kind of positive beacon regarding politics 2 years ago.

Two years ago Thailand was considered the brightest beacon of democracy in Southeast Asia.

:D Said who? Thaksin did more to subvert Thailand's limited justice system than most of the previous leaders combined. His idea of a democracy was a bought and paid for mandate from the people backed up by a coalition of lackeys like full time fence like sitters Barharn and Chavalit. His Government only held together so long because many people were raking off millions in scams and corrupt deals

In everyway Thaksin is a shining example of what is wrong with Thailand. No accountability, no scrutiny of the wealthy, no one with enough plums to stand up and call him what he really is. Mind you, doing that is likely to put you on the missing list without any investigation as he himself was a former policeman and most of his former class mates were ramped into powerful posititions under his leadership.

Apart from being undemocratic and a total despot, he was also a share ramper, tax avoider, inside trader, he lied on his assets declarations, stashed millions offshore, sold off important nation assets for personal gain and oversaw Thailands most corrupt government of all time. He used his position as Prime Minister to inflate the value of his personal fortune 5 fold.

Now when you use the word democracy what democracy are we talking about? Democracy is an illusion in most countries. Thailand is still a fuedal nation, many of the politicions in Thailand have a mentality more suited to fuedal China than a modern country. Their scams and schemes leave me breathless at times. The sheer bareface bullshitting from people like Thaksin make me wonder if he is a psychopath.

The definition of a psychopath is a person who cannot and will not admit any wrong doing, a person who is never ashamed and feels no remorse for the carnage they cause. If you look and have followed Thaksins career like I have, you will see what I mean. The saddest part is he may even return to power and this shows just how sick and corrupted Thai politics has become.

Even when caught red handed with their hands in the till, the excuses Thai politicions come up with are so pathetic, so transparently nonsense yet people just let them get away with and mumble and whisper their discontent. Where else but Thailand could a banned politicion pay someone to run as a paid lackey and get elected for him so he can whitewash and clear the way for the formers return? Samak was even bold enough to state it before the election and get away with it .

Thailand has no democracy, using those two words in the same sentence is a joke. :o

IMHO Ex-PM Thaksin had carefully placed his mates in jobs in the Public Service and his next step was to tie up the top jobs with his mates in the Armed Forces. That was one step too far and the anti-Thaksin coup was launched before they launch the pro-Thaksin coup. Thailand, again IMHO, was moving towards a dictatorship. The generals saw it.

Unfortunately the coup leaders botched it. I don't expect that Thaksin and his clan will ever face punishment. It will be swept under the carpet, like the deaths in the drug war. At least, with Samak in charge, those fire trucks will now disappear from the port.

The next excitement will be this new government's move to replace the recently passed Constitution with yet another. Seems they should be written in pencil these days. Why do you think Samak pulled in all the other parties except the Democrates. He wants no real opposition and can ride rough shod over antone and everyone with a minimum of fuss.

Basically we have just replaced one megalomaniac with another. It should be interesting around mid-April when the two "bulls" are in the same paddock.

Its good news for Thailand! From what I’ve heard things have been going down hill in Thailand since the military have been in control. Thailand was in the beginnings of being a player in the international community before this coup happened. This has been a major set back. Good to hear Thailand will again have an organised government which the people have voted for, yet again, in an easy majority victory.

Or flee outside the country, like General Sonthi (the national disgrace) who left Thailand to "visit the muslim world".

In the link you provided to the BKK Post,

Where does it mention Sonthi fleeing outside the country?

It does say that he's still "in country" and is the deputy prime

minister.

and where does it say he's "visiting the Muslim World"?

It says he's going to "promote relations with the Muslim world".

He's planning on going, but hasn't left yet.

Anyways, I am glad they the junta has departed :o

Edited by pampal

people call the junta as inept will no doubt be eating their words after the PPP get back in.

The bunch of clowns - the ones that bought you Suwannapoom - are back and wont be able to help themselves in getting their snouts in the trough.

I'm sure I will be in a minority on this but I felt the military did something necessary for the good of the country and had no complaints about how they managed things once the remarkably smooth 'coup' was completed.

As I recall, most falanges referred to Taksin and "Toxin"...and he was well on his way to trying to achieve a dictatorship and probably drain the Thai Treasury, much like George Bush has done in mine! Just because you have civilians running things doesn't mean they run smoothly or democratically. Thanks to corporate control of practically everything in America now, including all of the mainstream media and both Houses of Congress, it is very close to being a completely Fascist state. I just wish some of our more reasonable Generals (most of whom have been retired now) had ousted Dubya before he invaded Iraq and looted our Treasury...and then borrowed billions more! What a disaster he and Chaney have been! Unfortunately, the already media-declared 'front runners' for the next presidential term have already sold out to the corporate powers also.

Thailand's solution to excessive greed & reckless political power was clean, quick, and effective. They got a lot of criticism but this country has not gone into the toilet like Amerika, nor start wars with other countries just to keep the voters confused and distracted.

I hope the new civilian government will work out but also hope the new Constitution will put a little more constraints on the powers of the P.M. over the will & benefit of this nation!

Chok dee, Thailand!!!

I think you mean CIVILIAN government, but...

If you read the tentative Cabinet list, they are all no less than general in ranks, it's just another bunch of generals, they retired BEFORE getting into politics. But then, so did Surayud, and alleged mastermind Prem is also not on active duty.

I bet there are less generals in the current "military" governement than in the future "democratic" one.

Career in the military (or police) has always been the big ticket to politics here, including Thaksin himself.

people call the junta as inept will no doubt be eating their words after the PPP get back in.

If that's what it takes as a step to a more mature democracy then I for one am willing to go through that process. Thailand has done it since the last coup 15 years ago and struggled through government led by clowns/dinosaurs like Banharn and Chavalit.. It will just have to do it again, and I hope and pray it will lead to real democracy, not managed democracy, and that we won't see tanks in Bangkok ever again.

The bunch of clowns - the ones that bought you Suwannapoom - are back and wont be able to help themselves in getting their snouts in the trough.

As for Suvannaphum, I firmly believe Thaksin would not have allowed to have this turned in a saga-without-end, and now permanently be stuck with two airports. I think he would have prioritized the fixing of whatever was left to do to make it a world class airport. A lot I think is just the final dotting of i's and crossing of t's.

Edited by Lilawadee

As I recall, most falanges referred to Taksin and "Toxin"...

What do you mean, most! I indeed now some foreigners who don't like Thaksin, virtually all of them because an important faction in TRT attempted to control somewhat out of control vice and in the process made bars close early. Many who's world stretched from Beach Road to Third, or from Soi zero to Ekamai, I might add.

Yet I also associate with people who do business in Thailand, and there the view is a lot more balanced. Thaksin did a lot to support SME's, and generally handled the economy very well.

Just because you have civilians running things doesn't mean they run smoothly or democratically.

True. But at least there's accountability to the people who can vote you out of office.

Thanks to corporate control of practically everything in America now, including all of the mainstream media and both Houses of Congress, it is very close to being a completely Fascist state.

Ok I'm hesitant to comment on this as it will inevitably side-track the discussion, and some people may have seen in other sub forums that I have equally strong views on your current government, BUT, the bottom line is that elections are held and the public gets to have their say. You managed to go 200+ years without the need to tear up your constitution.

I just wish some of our more reasonable Generals (most of whom have been retired now) had ousted Dubya before he invaded Iraq and looted our Treasury...

The problem with that is that next time it may be a different group of generals with very different agendas. The issue is, it sets a precedent of 'interference by the gun', and the issue is that you don't get a say in who ousts elected government. For all you know they might oust the president for failing to invade a bunch more countries! Now, the reason you had this constitution for 200 years is to stop that from happening, and it WORKS, even though you occastionally have to put up with the occasional goofball. (Like Samak, indeed.)

What does it mean, democracy?

Democracy is a political system which has many different meanings and can take different forms. It is often incorrectly used as a synonym for capitalism. Fundamentally, it means a government of, by and for the people.

Economic Democracy: An idea that people should have equal access to and say in the distribution of the wealth and resources of a country.

Electoral Democracy: The idea "that, to be legitimate, government authority must derive from periodic free, fair, broadly particpatory, and genuinely contested elections.

Participatory Democracy. A system by which people have direct say in policies that effect them without the mediating influence of elected or other governmental officials.

Representative Democracy: A system whereby people select others to represent their interests in government rather than having direct influence or say over such decisions.

The people now in charge need to get a good kick in the butt and told they have to do whatever it takes to help all people in Thailand, and to make Thailand the country it deserves to be.

Look at Sg, in 50 years they created a country that can compete with most Western countries..

Get rid of the Mai Pen Rai attitude and face thing and start working on education following Western standards.

It is not that difficult.