Thailand's Parliament Convenes First Session Since 2006 Coup

george

Thailand's parliament convenes first session since 2006 coup

BANGKOK: -- Thailand moves a step closer to having an elected government on Monday when the lower house holds its first post-election session after the September 2006 coup.

His Majesty King Bhumibol Adulyadej signed a royal decree on Sunday inaugurating the first parliamentary session after the December 23 general election.

HRH Crown Prince Maha Vajiralongkorn presided over the opening ceremony at the Ananta Samakhom Throne Hall of Dusit Palace at 4.30 pm.

The Election Commission has endorsed 477 of the total 480 MPs so far.

The People Power Party (PPP) - which landed a victory in the general election -and five smaller political parties including the Chart Thai, Puea Pandin, Ruam Jai Thai Chart Pattana, Pracharaj and Matchimatipataya parties,which commands about two-thirds of the 480-seat lower house, jointly form a coalition government.

The Democrat Party, which came second in the general election winning 165 seats, solely represents the opposition bloc in the House of Representatives.

The lawmakers are expected to nominate House speaker on Tuesday with PPP MP Yongyuth Tiyapairat strongly tipped for the post.

The Democrat Party, despite a zero chance to win the House speaker seat, will field two veteran Democrats, Banyat Banthatthan and Khunying Kalaya Sophonpanich, to vie for House speaker and deputy House speaker respectively.

--TNA 2008-01-21

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Democrat Party, despite a zero chance to win the House speaker seat, will field two veteran Democrats, Banyat Banthatthan and Khunying Kalaya Sophonpanich, to vie for House speaker and deputy House speaker respectively.

--TNA 2008-01-21

Does anyone think that, as a gesture of reconciliation from the PPP, one of these might actually get elected ?

Surprised it's not the middle one... sure looks like he wanted to use it... :o:D

30062920-01.jpg

People Power Party's leader Samak Sundaravej points a finger at photographers during a photo session as the Parliament convenes on Monday.

The Nation

------------------

btw, seated beside Samak is Deputy People Power Party Leader Yongyuth... who a few hours later, resigned....

Yongyuth resigns as PPP Deputy Leader to assume House Speaker

The resignation of Yongyuth Tiyapairat as People Power Party executive and Deputy Party Leader would not affect the Election Commission's investigation into the allegation of electoral frauds against him, EC Secretary-General Suthipol Thaweechaikan said on Monday.

"If he is found guilty, the PPP can face dissolution as a result because it is regarded that the offence was committed when he held party executive post,'' he said.

Yongyuth resigned today to pave way for assuming House Speaker post as Article 124 of the Constitution stipulates that House Speaker and deputies must not hold party executive posts.

The House is scheduled to elect a speaker and two deputies tomorrow.

- The Nation

Edited by sriracha john

Surprised it's not the middle one... sure looks like he wanted to use it... :o:D

30062920-01.jpg

People Power Party's leader Samak Sundaravej points a finger at photographers during a photo session as the Parliament convenes on Monday.

The Nation

If it was a journo from the Nation, he should have.

There is a certain lovely satisfaction in seeing the junta so roundly defeated by the people!

Thats an extremely naive comment.

PPP, or whatever derivative name you want to give them, cheated, scammed and hoodwinked 'the people'.

The junta, who is allegedly the big bad giant, played by the rules.

Come back in 6-12 months time and see what a complete f#ck up this circus brings to town :o

He would have only done that if the photographer was young and female.

A much more telling photo to post would have been the one of Abhsit and Yongyuth engaged in what appears to be a most cordial little tete a tete during the opening ceremonies.

There is a certain lovely satisfaction in seeing the junta so roundly defeated by the people!

Whose rules did they play by? Which rules authorized them to expel the government and tear up the constitution?

PPP, or whatever derivative name you want to give them, cheated, scammed and hoodwinked 'the people'.

Come back in 6-12 months time and see what a complete f#ck up this circus brings to town :o

It has long been a three ring circus. Nothing has changed for decades. The only minor changes are who happens to occupy the center ring. The tent never changes, the seating never changes. Welcome to Thailand.

Chaiyo!

I am still waiting for your answer questions that I asked at least 4 times over the last few months. You can find a hint to the answer here if you need help.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=...t&p=1770963

repeatedly trying to distort the fact gets you nowhere fast when the fact can be reposed in just a few clicks. Perhaps that is why you have not answered yet.

Also how do you explain defeated in that the junta did what it said it was going to do and then leave. The said they would have the elections in 2007 they did, and now there gone.

***sigh***

Edited by John K

Actually, it seems that piggish Samak did so in front of an assembly of international press. He's sure to score points in improving his image in the world at large:

capt_a0ff5d654ad94557b9ea0551362a8e.jpg

Associated Press

I imagine Thaksin may soon have him fitted with a bark collar.

Surprised it's not the middle one... sure looks like he wanted to use it...
[image of pigs ands Samak]

It's reassuring to see we're continuing with the usual high level of maturity and sharp political analysis in this topic as well.

"In other parts of the forum the standards are not as high as in the news section and health sections, so the occasional BS is all part of the fun there."

Indeed. Verry high standards here. :o

(Though points for Tony who made me smile. I hate it when that happens. :D

Edited by Lilawadee

It's about time. But I wonder if anything will change. A few years from now, will we be looking at another coup. There are some who say that the new government is not a muscular is it needs to be.

Are you the "Jay" that wrote this undated, yet apparently weeks old, blog entry? Where are the "some" you post about? There's not even a single reply on that blog.

Edited by sriracha john

Will PPP lawmakers heed Samak, or Thaksin?

Thai Rath Comment: While it is certain that Samak Sundaravej will be appointed as the next PM, he will always be under the shadow of former PM Thaksin, who is the real power behind the People Power Party. Thaksin picked Samak as the PPP Leader after his TRT Party was dissolved. Samak officially announced the formation of a PPP-led coalition government on Saturday, but his government has its work cut out to put the economy back on track, create national unity and solve the long-standing crisis in the deep South. Samak will need all the support of his party members as well as those in the five coalition parties, to overcome these challenges. The problem is that he cannot totally count on the loyalty of all the PPP lawmakers. Immediately after the party won the general election, several groups of PPP politicians reportedly went to Hong Kong to meet Thaksin. If true, this would show who is the real power behind the PPP. The question is: Will Samak have a free hand in running the administration? If prior approval has to be sought on key policy issues, the administration of the Samak-led government will not be smooth. The PPP lawmakers may not give him the full respect as their leader.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/22Jan2008_news23.php

I'll just enumerate the qualifications here. They are expounded on quite well in the full article text...

Qualities vital for a politician

The jockeying by veteran politicians before and after the elections gives new faces wanting to enter politics many lessons to learn from. Here are some qualifications possessed by veteran politicians and deemed necessary for those preparing to enter politics:

Qualification 1: A short memory.

Qualification 2: Excellence in acting.

Qualification 3: Creative thinking.

Qualification 4: Determination and sacrifice.

Without these qualifications, anybody hoping to become a ''young blood'' politician must think twice before making a decision.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/22Jan2008_news22.php

Country nears tipping point

The elections are over and Parliament is in session. The country, however, remains in a difficult position between good news on one hand, bad news on the other. The Lower House met for the first time since Sept 19, 2006, but some MPs still face possible court action and expulsion for fraud. A government is soon to be announced, but it will consist of ministers who have carved up Cabinet without so much as trying to put the best people in the job. The fact is that an election advertised as the return to democracy and the key to stability has left the nation several steps away from either. The good news is that the election and much of the work of the EC and the coalition leaders have advanced the country. Samak Sundaravej, head of the largest party in Parliament and likely PM, has shown increasingly disturbing signs of anti-democratic actions. His continual snapping at legitimate and polite questions from news reporters is troubling, especially so when it occurred last Saturday on national TV with the diplomatic corps anxiously watching. The forming of a coalition was handled as anti-democratically as one can imagine. Particularly galling has been the division of ministries. That exercise has more closely resembled a scramble to the trough than an assignment of the right jobs to the right people. If that were not enough, there are many pending lawsuits against politicians, parties and even the Constitution. Some are potential time bombs. For example, cases

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.net/News/22Jan2008_news15.php

Sorry if I offended any coup-lovers sobbing and grieving at the grave of the junta. I guess these are sensitive times for the South East Asian junta afficianados.

Still ignoring the question I see along with distorting the undeniable facts. What you are saying is equal to saying someone operates the rising and setting of the sun. There are several less than flattering descriptions of people who refuse to accept the truth and continue to distort facts. Thailand is already full of bad information, why do you insist on adding to it? I am still waiting for my answer.

WHAT'S IN A NAME? PLENTY

Political dynasties continue to dominate parliament with almost 40 former ministers' families represented

A month after the election, parliament has reconvened with the needed 95% of the total of 480 MPs certified by the EC. The MPs parading into the parliament this time comprise both old and new faces. One thing they have in common with past governments is that many have familiar family names. A rough survey found that one out of every 10 of those elected bear the family name of a former member of cabinet. Among the well-known families are the Silpa-archas of Chart Thai party, led by Banharn, the Chaisaeng family of former Deputy PM Chaturon (TRT Banned #2), as well as the Adireksarn (TRT Banned #9) and Thienthong (TRT Non-Banned #1) families. Some former ministers have won in several consecutive elections, while others had their sons, nephews, brothers and other relatives succeed them as MPs representing the same constituencies. Like it or not, these politicians' families have dominated their regions for decades. It is anyone's guess when these family names will no longer be in government. Chulalongkorn University political scientist Siriphan Noksuan says parliaments filled with many old politicians' families will remain, along with pork-barrel politics, regardless of electoral rules, which might vary from one election to another. The family names of almost 40 former ministers will be repeatedly heard during parliamentary sessions following their victories in last month's election.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.net/News/22Jan2008_news28.php

==================================================

Thaksin Shinawatra (TRT Banned #1) also is firmly in this group with his niece, his brother-in-law, and possibly his cousin all being in the new government. However, it seems his sister-in-law did not win in her campaign to get elected, so there's one less.

Edited by sriracha john

Surprised it's not the middle one... sure looks like he wanted to use it...
[image of pigs ands Samak]

It's reassuring to see we're continuing with the usual high level of maturity and sharp political analysis in this topic as well.

"In other parts of the forum the standards are not as high as in the news section and health sections, so the occasional BS is all part of the fun there."

Indeed. Verry high standards here. :o

(Though points for Tony who made me smile. I hate it when that happens. :D

You seem to be confusing humor with debate. I take it you never watched David letterman or Jay Leno. To inject a little humor from time to time reduces stress and anxiety is a good thing wouldn’t you say?

Sorry if I offended any coup-lovers sobbing and grieving at the grave of the junta. I guess these are sensitive times for the South East Asian junta afficianados.

Still ignoring the question I see along with distorting the undeniable facts. What you are saying is equal to saying someone operates the rising and setting of the sun. There are several less than flattering descriptions of people who refuse to accept the truth and continue to distort facts. Thailand is already full of bad information, why do you insist on adding to it? I am still waiting for my answer.

You can send me a court summons if you want a direct answer to your inquisition. Otherwise, I'll choose to participate in the thread as I see fit, whether that is acceptable to you or not.

The sweet truth is that the junta has all but been defeated by the will of the people. Samak is a wonderful figure to make fun of, go ahead. Nothing bad will come from making fun of him. I noticed no one was coming up with ceaseless series of altered photos of Sondhi to mock and distort him and those who supported him due to the obvious possibility of retribution by a military junta with a well-documented history of violence against its people.

While I think the humorous photos of Samak, as with Thaksin, are immature and childish, I do applaud the return in Thailand to a state of public discourse where they can be freely distributed. That is an important triumph in itself. The three ring circus of Thai politics will continue; we just hope the circus goes on without tanks in the center aimed at the crowds.