Very Little Piracy On The Streets Of Bkk

tezzainoz

Well thats what I though when I read todays Bangkok Post

:o

The chief of the Intellectual Property Department said on Saturday she feels Thailand has "sufficiently suppressed" street piracy and hopes Washington will upgrade Thailand off the intellectual property priority watch list this year.

Puangrat Aswapisit, director-general, said her department is preparing information to submit to Washington on Thailand's suppression of piracy during 2007.

It is expected that the information would be forwarded to the US by Feb 15, while the US is expected to report to the public on the issue by the middle of the year, she said.

Last year, Washington downgraded Thailand to the priority watch list from the (standard) watch list, saying the US was concerned with the Thai government's lack of success in suppressing violations of intellectual property, noting that only a few major violators were apprehended.

Mrs Puangrat now says that major violators have been arrested, and that seized items would be burned soon.

:D

Would someone please tell all the guys in Pantrip Plaza this

They where all there this morning

So the copy of Fifa Football Manager i bought last week must have been original, not bad for 200 baht.

You can actually buy legal computer games in Thailand at that price. Most new games are around 600 baht, but older stuff can go as low as 200. They release legal computer games at local prices in Thailand, as at the $50 price point no Thai will ever buy a legal copy. I don't know if they release football manager locally, but if they did it would only be slightly more expensive than the pirate version. All the computer games I buy in Thailand are legal, it's worth it paying a little extra to be able to play online and to support the game designers.

That is actually the solution to the problem of pirated movies as well. Media companies refuse to release dvds at local prices as they don't want Americans and Europeans to import cheap Asian dvds. Thais pirate because the movies are overpriced for this market, and companies are unable to adjust their prices because it would hurt their massive profits in other markets. All the 'local' versions I see are low quality vcds with bad dubbing and no English language soundtrack, which is done because no foreigner would want such a mangled product. Not surprising, many Thais don't want them either.

So the copy of Fifa Football Manager i bought last week must have been original, not bad for 200 baht.

You can actually buy legal computer games in Thailand at that price. Most new games are around 600 baht, but older stuff can go as low as 200. They release legal computer games at local prices in Thailand,

Which stores?

Fortune?

JL

Director Generals are civil servants. They are not elected officials. They see a new government coming into power, so they want to be seen as saying the right things. This is why you get comments as above as well as recent comments being reported on another thread from the Director-General of the Department of Internal Trade about shopping malls being able to keep a lid on rising food costs. All of this is rubbish, of course, but sounds good to the new guys coming into the government.

The chief of the Intellectual Property Department said on Saturday she feels Thailand has "sufficiently suppressed" street piracy and hopes Washington will upgrade Thailand off the intellectual property priority watch list this year.

Puangrat Aswapisit, director-general, said her department is preparing information to submit to Washington on Thailand's suppression of piracy during 2007.

It is expected that the information would be forwarded to the US by Feb 15, while the US is expected to report to the public on the issue by the middle of the year, she said.

post-37234-1201403680.gif

Another example of solving a problem by announcing that it's solved. Apparently the "chief" hasn't been upcountry yet.

Another example of solving a problem by announcing that it's solved. Apparently the "chief" hasn't been upcountry yet.

:o:D

Heads in the clouds - the lot of them!

"There is no problem because we say there is no problem so there musn't be any problem. What's the problem?"

Reminds me of the time many years ago now when the director of the Tourism Authority of Thailand made an inspection visit to Pattaya and pronounced herself satisfied that there was no evidence of prostitution in the seaside resort. :o:D

May it forever be so...

To the OP: Why do you care?

Whenever you rent a movie, the multinational media industry forces you to watch their propaganda. They claim that [downloading movies is the same as snatching bags, stealing cars or shoplifting]. That’s simply not true – making a copy is fundamentally different from stealing.

The media industry has failed to offer viable legal alternatives and they will fail to convince consumers that sharing equals stealing. Unfortunately, they have succeeded in another area – lobbying to adapt laws to criminalize sharing, turning consumers into criminals. They argue that their laws are necessary to [support artists], but in reality all they’re protecting is their own profits.

The Greens in Europe and worldwide has been opposing these laws. We believe that consumers are willing to pay if offered good quality at a fair price. We also believe that sharing is expanding culture – not killing it.

(from http://iwouldntsteal.net/)

Edited by Phil Conners

Yesterday I finally got to my pirated copy of "Lions for Lambs". I fell asleep in the middle but eventually found my place and finished the movie. My first thought was, what a waste of time. My second thought was, I would have been really angry with myself if I had to pay more than Bt100 for this very bad movie.

We can thank or respective Gods that these government officials just do a few sham raids and, like most of the government ministries, do little more than bluster. In reality I should not have to pay more than Bt80 for a movie but the government is driving the cost of the DVD up while the price of illegal drugs is going down. Maybe some of Thailand resources should be used for the good of the country rather than to pacify the American movie making machine.

To the OP: Why do you care?

Whenever you rent a movie, the multinational media industry forces you to watch their propaganda. They claim that [downloading movies is the same as snatching bags, stealing cars or shoplifting]. That’s simply not true – making a copy is fundamentally different from stealing.

The media industry has failed to offer viable legal alternatives and they will fail to convince consumers that sharing equals stealing. Unfortunately, they have succeeded in another area – lobbying to adapt laws to criminalize sharing, turning consumers into criminals. They argue that their laws are necessary to [support artists], but in reality all they’re protecting is their own profits.

The Greens in Europe and worldwide has been opposing these laws. We believe that consumers are willing to pay if offered good quality at a fair price. We also believe that sharing is expanding culture – not killing it.

(from http://iwouldntsteal.net/)

My guess is that one reason you promulgate this view is that you've never produced a shred of intellectual property.... :o

You can actually buy legal computer games in Thailand at that price. Most new games are around 600 baht, but older stuff can go as low as 200. They release legal computer games at local prices in Thailand,

Which stores?

Fortune?

JL

Zest.

Contrary to the above posts, I have noticed that most of the pirate DVD shops in MBK were closed on the last few occasions that I have been there. Even a couple of the street stalls in Silom were closed last time I was there (about 2 weeks ago).

However, I went to MBK yesterday and a couple of the stalls were back in business. Probably just one of Thailand's many temporary clampdowns....

Contrary to the above posts, I have noticed that most of the pirate DVD shops in MBK were closed on the last few occasions that I have been there. Even a couple of the street stalls in Silom were closed last time I was there (about 2 weeks ago).

However, I went to MBK yesterday and a couple of the stalls were back in business. Probably just one of Thailand's many temporary clampdowns....

I noticed the same and when I made an enquiry I was told they had been banned but should be back next month.

Man i just came back from Thailand last week, I got about 50 of the latest DVD's for 140 Baht each and heaps of PC and PS2 games for my mates.

Is this topic suppose to be a joke?

no, but 150 baht a dvd is a joke. you are being blatanly overcharged, especially if you bought 50.

i downloaded about 20 movies last month and my internet fees are about 1200 per month. who cares whether or not these things are available on the street or not?

Edited by t.s

Well thats what I though when I read todays Bangkok Post

Last year, Washington downgraded Thailand to the priority watch list from the (standard) watch list, saying the US was concerned with the Thai government's lack of success in suppressing violations of intellectual property, noting that only a few major violators were apprehended.

Mrs Puangrat now says that major violators have been arrested, and that seized items would be burned soon.

Would someone please tell all the guys in Pantrip Plaza this

They where all there this morning

Maybe they have hired this guy as a consultant or something:

07-minister.jpg

"There are no American infidels in Baghdad. Never!"

:D:o

Man i just came back from Thailand last week, I got about 50 of the latest DVD's for 140 Baht each :o and heaps of PC and PS2 games for my mates.

Sorry but you got ripped off. Report the vendor to the consumer protection bureau. There is no honor among some people these days. Sheesh.

Man i just came back from Thailand last week, I got about 50 of the latest DVD's for 140 Baht each :o and heaps of PC and PS2 games for my mates.

Sorry but you got ripped off. Report the vendor to the consumer protection bureau. There is no honor among some people these days. Sheesh.

...and I suggest you use the following wording: "I got ripped off picking up my rip-offs!"

This will allow the authorities to kill two birds with one stone... :D