Smoking Ban

Basil B

Just read on another thread that smoking in many places will be banned as of the 11th February, 2,000THB fine for the offender and 20,000THB fine for the operator.

My reason for asking is I am not a smoker and would like to be where there is no smoking, as a diver it can get pretty unpleasant on a dive boat if someone in front of you is smoking which happens far too frequently.

As a diver I have heard and read about the dangers of smoking and excessive drinking related to diving, yet see too many of the diving pro's virtually chain smoking and hitting the bars as soon as they can.

Do you think smoking should be banned on dive boats?

BB

If you have to sit in a closed cabin I would suport your request. In a open air boat I don't see a big problem as long as there is enough space to move around. If you still are disturbed, just ask the smoker to move to another place. If a diver hit's the bar after diving is not realy our business, as long as he doesn't turn up the next morning drunk. Yes nobody should dive if not sober. I would not dive with a diver (pro or not) if I smell alcohol or if I think he/she isn't fit to dive.

well if it is there wont be many inst's or boat boys on them

Nearly all of Phuket's (and Thailand's) dive instructors will be out of work and either open a beach bar or move to Holland. Thai boat crew will either be rioting in the streets or become dynamite fishermen. The few non smoking Instructors left will be either overworked in no time or get a hernia from lifting all those tanks.

I'm not a big fan from smokers in general but I think the alternatives are also not so fantastic.

Maybe a non-smoking AND smoking area on boats would be a good solution!

:o

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
A non smoking liveaboard.........Id be on board if there was a choice. Will any of the operators here take up the challenge?

it's definately in the wind, our guests from overseas are generally non-smokers - local divers and the Thai boys smoke though. we have smoking only on the top deck, down wind from me. if i had my way , I'd ban it but after a week at sea they'd be going mad.

what a messy bunch smokers are too, they're grown up enough to smoke and play with matches but can't control their ash.

i don't think we should mix evil smoking and lovely beer, how can you dive without a cold Heine after?