Pataks Sauces And Pastes At Topps

mallmagician

Hi All,

I forget who, but someone mentioned on the Donar Kebab thread about the availability of Pataks Sauces and Pastes in Topps. I did post on that thread for more detail or confirmation, but it has been lost in amongst the other "on topic" posts. :o

So, I thought I'd open a new thread to see if anyone can confirm.

I was in there a few months back and the only Pataks they had was jars of Mango Chutney.

What is meant by Sauces? As in the Big Jars of stir in Curry, 10 minutes and your done? Or sauces like the aforementioned chutney?

Its a bit of a trip for me to go to Topps, so don't want a wasted trip. Plus I hate Airport Plaza with a vengeance. :D

Cheers

Phil

I got a couple of Patak Balti and Vindaloo canned stir sauces in Topps (old Rim Ping) near Novotel. Had the Balti the other night with some nan bread and it was bloody marvelous. The cans were a 165 baht each if my memory serves me right.

I haven't seen what they have here, but i do know the Pataks line. they are great

In glass jars you get chutneys, curry cooking pastes (which you use only a tsp or so), pickles, and other dense products.

I believe what they sell in tins are pre-made gravies - one can is good for one or two dishes. I have never tried them, but i am sure they are delicious - but pretty expensive if 180 bt is just the gravy...

So if you are looking for the thick cooking pastes, then they are probably not what Yorkshire Lass got...

I brought back three jars from Canada over x-mas - two mild curry pastes, and one tikka marinating paste

Hi All,

I forget who, but someone mentioned on the Donar Kebab thread about the availability of Pataks Sauces and Pastes in Topps. I did post on that thread for more detail or confirmation, but it has been lost in amongst the other "on topic" posts. :o

So, I thought I'd open a new thread to see if anyone can confirm.

I was in there a few months back and the only Pataks they had was jars of Mango Chutney.

What is meant by Sauces? As in the Big Jars of stir in Curry, 10 minutes and your done? Or sauces like the aforementioned chutney?

Its a bit of a trip for me to go to Topps, so don't want a wasted trip. Plus I hate Airport Plaza with a vengeance. :D

Cheers

Phil

I've been buying them for a while now; Tika Masala, Vindaloo, Korma, all in cans, and once (dammit, only once) I was able to get a jar of Tandoury Paste. All of the them delicious, quick and easy, but a bit expensive. Worth it though!

Here's a bit of fusion cooking for you. (RealThaiDeal take note, please...) Make up a curry without any potatoes, after cooking cut up the chicken into very small bits, and make 'sushi rolls' using the curry for the filling. The nori (seaweed) adds an interesting contrast to the curry, but oddly enough it really tastes good. Especially good if you can find the Tandoori sauce and use it heavily (mixed with yogurt) on the chicken so there is a wetter sauce than usual.

Pataks makes some great curries, and there are all here in Chiang Mai now!

It was me that said they have them at tops

When people say its expensive i dont agree 180 baht is about 2 pounds fifty and Pataks is a UK company and I beleive that they sell for about one pound ninty five in the UK so its only really 50p more than back home and one tin should provide a couple of currys in fact I think it serves 4 persons so in reality it is only 50p per curry

You cannot compare prices of UK products with Thai products if you can get a UK product for as close to home prices as you can then it is a fair price

I do agree Tops has some real expensive items such as Heinz beans 295 baht INSANE