Tourist Visa - Help Please

Hi all,

I bet you are asked this everyday, but any help would be appreciated. I am going to Thailand for 6wks (42 days). I am english (UK passport), so my understanding is that i can go for 30 days with no visa, per say. I know you can go to the borders and extend this for a further 30 days, which obviously would cover me.

My question is, am i going to have any problems coming into Bangkok, with a return flight 42 days after my entry, given that my "visa" will only be for 30 days (until i border run it)?

Any help /advice would be gratefully recieved!!. Oh, i am flying in from New Zealand, if that makes a difference?( i doubt it), and i am 31.

Cheers

It seems there was a posting about this type of situation not too long ago. Perhaps you can find the previous info by using the search feature. Better yet, why don't you just apply at the Thai Embassy in your home country for a 60-day tourist visa and avoid any possible problems?

Edited by pattyboy

Hi all,

I bet you are asked this everyday, but any help would be appreciated. I am going to Thailand for 6wks (42 days). I am english (UK passport), so my understanding is that i can go for 30 days with no visa, per say. I know you can go to the borders and extend this for a further 30 days, which obviously would cover me.

My question is, am i going to have any problems coming into Bangkok, with a return flight 42 days after my entry, given that my "visa" will only be for 30 days (until i border run it)?

Any help /advice would be gratefully recieved!!. Oh, i am flying in from New Zealand, if that makes a difference?( i doubt it), and i am 31.

Cheers

Your biggest problem will be the airline. There is a chance that they will not let you board the flight as your return flight is more than 30 days ahead and you do not have a Visa.

A tourist Visa will give you entry for 60 days. Problem solved.

Edited by Lite Beer

Hi all,

Cheers

Your biggest problem will be the airline. There is a chance that they will not let you board the flight as your return flight is more than 30 days ahead and you do not have a Visa.

A tourist Visa will give you entry for 60 days. Problem solved.

I am not sure i can get a tourist visa tho, as i am already in NZ and i am a UK citizen, and i do not want to send of my passport to england or anything. Is there no way i can explain the situation to the airline, do you think?

Hi all,

Cheers

Flying in from NZL makes no difference.

The airline will NOT allow you to board because your immigration credentials are insufficient with regards to your return ticket.

Options :

Tourist visa (60 day permit of stay)

Possibly a Non Immigrant visa (90 day permit of stay), depending on your personal circumstances

Royal Thai Consulate in Shortland St Auckland or Royal Thai Embassy in Wellington are the places to get these.

Hi all,

Cheers

The airline will NOT allow you to board because your immigration credentials are insufficient with regards to your return ticket.

Options :

Possibly a Non Immigrant visa (90 day permit of stay), depending on your personal circumstances

Royal Thai Consulate in Shortland St Auckland or Royal Thai Embassy in Wellington are the places to get these.

Thats a bit worrying then!! They will NOT let me board? How does everyone else do it, i have been many times to Thailand, and am always seeing people doing border runs on visa exempt stamps etc? I am confused. If i had a ticket to the border and back, would that make a difference? Thanks

Many long stay residents here travel to neighbouring countries to get tourist visas. My understanding is that it is only 12 month non-o or non-b visas that you have to apply for in your home country, tourist visas can be obtained from any embassy or consulate outside of Thailand.

Hi all,

Cheers

Options :

Thats a bit worrying then!! They will NOT let me board? How does everyone else do it, i have been many times to Thailand, and am always seeing people doing border runs on visa exempt stamps etc? I am confused. If i had a ticket to the border and back, would that make a difference? Thanks

If you had a flight ticket to another country that would make a difference.

Or just get a Visa from the Embassy or Consulate in NZ. Not a problem and not expensive.

Edited by Lite Beer

Hi all,

Cheers

Other people haveOptions :

Thats a bit worrying then!! They will NOT let me board? How does everyone else do it,

Well in my case I have a non B visa and a work permit.

Some other scenarios that "do it" :

people have various other types of Non Immigrant visas(for marriage , retirement etc....)

people have tourist visas.

people have diplomatic status or APEC cards.

people buy a cheap "nominal" ticket showing return out of Thailand (but then never use it).

Hi all,

Cheers

Hi,

I live in Australia and have just been in Thailand with my wife and two kids for 6 weeks, I entered on a tourist visa and was given 30 days stamp as you should be able to on a UK passport, while in Thailand I extended for a further 7 days (maximum they would give even though I showed them a return flight 13 days later) and when I left I paid the fine of 500 baht a day (per person) for my overstay. You say you have a return flight. I didn't have any issues with the airline when I boarded in Melbourne. I would agree with the other posters that the sensible and cheaper thing to do would be get a 60 or 90 day visa at the Thai embassy where you are, I would have done that had I known.

Hi all,

Cheers

Hi,

I live in Australia and have just been in Thailand with my wife and two kids for 6 weeks, I entered on a tourist visa and was given 30 days stamp as you should be able to on a UK passport,

If you enter on a Tourist Visa you will get 60 Days stamp , not 30.

It appears you did not have a Visa but entered on a Visa Exempt Entry.

Hi all,

Cheers

Hi,

I live in Australia and have just been in Thailand with my wife and two kids for 6 weeks, I entered on a tourist visa and was given 30 days stamp as you should be able to on a UK passport,

If you enter on a Tourist Visa you will get 60 Days stamp , not 30.

It appears you did not have a Visa but entered on a Visa Exempt Entry.

Quite probably, sorry my incorrect use of the term visa as well I would imagine.

The bottom line though still remains the same.

• 2 weeks later...