Application First Thai Driving License

FRM-BKK

Hi All,

Last Friday (25 Jan 08) I applied for my first Thai driving licence at the department of Land Transport near Chatuchak in Bangkok.

I experienced a different procedure and method from what has been described by many Thai-Visa members on this board.

I believe that with the introduction of the “new-style” driving license, they have also modified the procedures and costs.

I hold a one year NON immigrant “O” visa multiple entries, issued by Hull – UK.

Here is my experience of last Friday for those that consider applying soon:

This is what I brought with me:

My Dutch Passport + copies of the main page, visa page, latest arrival stamp and TM card.

Certificate of Residence, issued by the Dutch Embassy in Bangkok + copy

Medical certificate issued by a clinic here in Bangkok + copy

My UK driving license + paper counterpart + copies

My International Driving Permit + copies of all relevant pages

Two recent colour 1 inch passport photographs.

This is what happened:

On arrival I was directed to go to building Number 4

Went to the first floor and report to the desk

The lady at the desk gave me two forms on which I only had to put my full name

Once this was done (10 seconds) I was given a ticket/number and was told to wait near the area of booth numbers 16, 17 and 18.

At the top of my ticket/number it had printed (“Foreigner”)

All numbers were called up in Thai

My number was called up in English

I was directed to go to booth number 17

There, the lady told me to sit down in front of her desk

She checked all the papers and whilst doing do, she entered everything on her computer.

She made me make a choice whether I wanted to use my UK or my International Driving Permit for the application; I could not use both.

I opted for my UK license.

She gave me back all the stuff to do with my International Driving Permit.

She also gave me back the two passport photographs. (all will become clear later)

Next she asked me to move one seat to my left.

Now, I was sat in front of a camera, which is permanently set up on her desk, on a small tripod.

Behind me was blue paper and I was surrounded by four light bulbs.

Nung, song, sam……. And the picture was taken.

This picture was immediately uploaded onto her computer.

Now I had to pay 205 Thai Baht, a receipt was given.

Next she prepared an A4 size piece of paper with four sections.

I was told to take this paper upstairs and complete the four tests.

Test one, colour blindness – pass

Test two, emergency stop – pass

Test three, distance perception test – pass

Test four, wide/side vision awareness test – pass

Once these tests were completed it was back down stairs to booth 17

On return at booth 17, it was 12.05 pm. They had all just gone for lunch until 1.00pm, so get there early guys!!

Anyway, an hour later I returned to booth 17, where the lady kindly gave me my new Thai One year Driving License.

The license is in both Thai and English language and states “Temporary Car”

The license is of the credit card type, with my picture printed on/in.

I found the whole process quite easy and quick.

I hope that this is useful for those who are considering applying soon.

Good luck……

FRM-UK now Bangkok

Excellent report on the process for the new 'proper' photocard licences, thanks :o:D

I expect that all offices will be moving to this process eventually, got to produce something more professional than the old bit of paper with photo stuck on.

I note that the OP is a Bangkok resident...can a falang living ANYWHERE in Thailand apply for a license at the Chatujak Land Transport office?...straightforward, no muss no fuss...

the wife went to our local land transport office to query documentation requirements for my application and when Mr Somchai Local Land Transport Office became aware that the application was to be made for a falang he made it clear that thai driving licenses were not available to foreigners, etc, etc...

dumbshit yokel :o

I wonder has anyone else encountered the same ignorance/attitude/problem at a provincial land transport office?

Edited by tutsiwarrior

• 4 weeks later...

I applied for my first licence a couple of weeks ago as well. I went to the office on Sukhumvit Road (between Soi 99 and 101). My experience was similar to that of the OP although they seem a little less geared up to deal with foreigners. All in all pretty painless apart from being told that my medical cert from Chamillion Hospital was not valid. So I had to hop on a motorbike and go to the conveniently located clinic just up the street to get one done for 200 Baht :o

The whole thing took about 3 hours. The tests were such a joke I didn't know whether to laugh or cry!

OP did not have to pass a practical test or do the theory examination because they already have a foreign driving license. this gives an automatic exemption, but I think it depends on the country the license is issued in. If you don't have an overseas issued license already you will have to do the practical and theory test, same as a Thai. Be aware that the theory test involves a two hour class first delivered in Thai language.

thanks for your reply guys. i'll go there tomorrow to try. can i get to rent automatic car there? .......i'm not confident driving my car all the way there without driving license..........imagine if i fail, they will see me driving home without a license.......

heard lot of stories regarding this......... any "bribe" issue there?

thanks.

OP did not have to pass a practical test or do the theory examination because they already have a foreign driving license. this gives an automatic exemption, but I think it depends on the country the license is issued in. If you don't have an overseas issued license already you will have to do the practical and theory test, same as a Thai. Be aware that the theory test involves a two hour class first delivered in Thai language.

My international driving license does not cover bikes, so I decided to do the test whilst I was there. My theory test involved 5 minutes reading the highway code first.

Mr Somchai Local Land Transport Office became aware that the application was to be made for a falang he made it clear that thai driving licenses were not available to foreigners, etc, etc...

That is the standard response when they do not know how to deal with the paperwork, they don't loose face to lower level staff by turning you away.

My international driving license does not cover bikes, so I decided to do the test whilst I was there. My theory test involved 5 minutes reading the highway code first.

Mine does.. Has some odd classification, maybe a wieght the bike cannot be over, but it clearly does cover bikes.

Can anyone explain how they conduct the colour blindness test

They use the books with color dots with a number hidden in tonally the same colors. They also have a peripheral vision test and I cant remember if that was red / green lights also ??

I have never ridden a motorcycle in my life.

When I went to get my Thai license, I gave them my IDP and they asked if I would like a motorcycle license, I said yes please and they gave me two licenses back, one for car one for motorcycle.

I'm still not tempted to ride one though.

Can anyone explain how they conduct the colour blindness test

i did it recently and there was a picture on the wall with lots of coloured dots on it and with a pointer they put it on different spots and ask you the colour....about 4 or 5 times,maybe different at other offices!