Tough Luck

bannork

An Thai assistant of a friend at work has been skiving a lot, absent from work with lame excuses of sickness, if not himself he claims his daughter is ill. Eveyone knows he's lying so the boss docked 60% of his pay this month.

The assistant complained to my friend who turned to me and asked,'How do you say tough titties in Thai?'

Offhand I could only think of สมน้ำหน้า but he wasn't trying to say served him right, rather he wanted to express his complete lack of sympathy and point out that's the way it goes if you misbehave.

Any ideas?

An Thai assistant of a friend at work has been skiving a lot, absent from work with lame excuses of sickness, if not himself he claims his daughter is ill. Eveyone knows he's lying so the boss docked 60% of his pay this month.

The assistant complained to my friend who turned to me and asked,'How do you say tough titties in Thai?'

Offhand I could only think of สมน้ำหน้า but he wasn't trying to say served him right, rather he wanted to express his complete lack of sympathy and point out that's the way it goes if you misbehave.

Any ideas?

i wrote out some answers but deleted them. i just can't see that there is much to be gained by teaching your friend a single disparaging phrase.

all the best.

I sometimes use "เสียใจด้วย" (I'm sorry to hear) with a wry smile.

My friends know I mean something like "Oh, what a pity..." (a tad bit insincere, indifferent)

Just watching a film on DVD when this situation came up: a girl pretended to care about another's problem, but was obviously indifferent. The subtitle read นอกจากนี้

Would Thai people really say that? Or, would they recognize that sentiment if they watched that film and read that subtitle?

Same DVD, a guy wrote a letter to his sweetheart and called her "dear," but the subtitle read: แพง - is that really a term of endearment in Thai?

I know subtitles are very often dodgy, but are those correct common usages?

I sometimes use "เสียใจด้วย" (I'm sorry to hear) with a wry smile.

My friends know I mean something like "Oh, what a pity..." (a tad bit insincere, indifferent)

Just watching a film on DVD when this situation came up: a girl pretended to care about another's problem, but was obviously indifferent. The subtitle read นอกจากนี้

Would Thai people really say that? Or, would they recognize that sentiment if they watched that film and read that subtitle?

Same DVD, a guy wrote a letter to his sweetheart and called her "dear," but the subtitle read: แพง - is that really a term of endearment in Thai?

i've seen what had to be computer generated thai subtitles before on a harry potter DVD. the แพง/dear thing is clearly that. if it wasn't like that all through the movie, then perhaps the subtitle writers started their work with a computer generated translation, changing it to make sense, and in this case they just missed a line.

all the best.

Maybe she was a high-maintenance gf lol