Desperately Seeking New Life In Thailand

stormbrewing

I'm in my late 30's, born American and fell in love with Thailand and the girl. I'm not rich and don't need western comforts other than the occasional coke. Has anyone left the west with little money (1 mil bat or less) and eeked out a lifetime of an existence in Thailand? I plan to marry a nice Isaan woman who is a cook and a massage therapist, not a bar gal. We plan to open a restaurant in northeast Thailand and live a quiet life. 95% of the people call me crazy for doing this. "It's not realistic." "You gotta have millions more bat to live the ex-pat life." "What are you gonna do when you're 70 and have no retirement funds? Make a border crawl?" I can bear the heat, the mosquitos and the rats, not neccesarily in that order. Can one collect Social Security while living in Thailand. I have been diagnosed with clinical depression which may qualify me for benefits. The depression seems to lift when I'm in Thailand. Coincidence?

You have nothing to lose really--maybe some $$$--how well do you know your girl, where she's from, her family?? I think it would be of benefit to spend at least a year here, uninterrupted, in order to see if it's what you really want.

don't need western comforts
I can bear the heat, the mosquitos and the rats

This will work in your favor out in Isaan.

"What are you gonna do when you're 70 and have no retirement funds?
Many people ask this question everyday in the US, UK, etc. I can't even imagine what the world will be like in 2074.
fell in love with Thailand and the girl.

Congrats, but move wisely.

The depression seems to lift when I'm in Thailand. Coincidence?

Possibly. "Thailand" is not a panacea.

Good luck in your decision-making!

:o

I'm in my late 30's, born American and fell in love with Thailand and the girl. I'm not rich and don't need western comforts other than the occasional coke. Has anyone left the west with little money (1 mil bat or less) and eeked out a lifetime of an existence in Thailand? I plan to marry a nice Isaan woman who is a cook and a massage therapist, not a bar gal. We plan to open a restaurant in northeast Thailand and live a quiet life. 95% of the people call me crazy for doing this. "It's not realistic." "You gotta have millions more bat to live the ex-pat life." "What are you gonna do when you're 70 and have no retirement funds? Make a border crawl?" I can bear the heat, the mosquitos and the rats, not neccesarily in that order.  Can one collect Social Security while living in Thailand. I have been diagnosed with clinical depression which may qualify me for benefits. The depression seems to lift when I'm in Thailand. Coincidence?

" The grass always looks greener on the other side"

Sometimes it is, too :o

Follow your heart, but cover your ass. :D

what will you do when the mil run out, i say use the mil wisely, live a humble life, don't spend to much time at the bar, do some research for job, stay for a year or so to see how you like it in long term, buy yourself a return trip incase.

............ if he was unlucky (like many are), the girl will leave him alone (no money no honey), he will feel frustrated, ashamed in coming back as a loser to US, ......

...... use the last 40$ to take 1 night room in Pattaya, asking for a balcony and high floor ......

pretty common story.

Wish you to be wise, lucky and different buddy :o

Can one collect Social Security while living in Thailand.

While I am not yet old enough to qualify, I know several people who are collecting Social Security from the USA and living in Thailand. Perfectly legal to do so. Most of them have their SS money deposited in a US Bank and use ATM for withdrawal.

Good luck. Have to say that I think you will need it (the good luck that is). Actually we can all use some good luck at times, it just doesn't always find us, but like playing the lotto, gotta try.

He might also want to keep in mind that:

Foreigners who fall into any of the following categories are prohibited to enter the Kingdom.

((cut))

(4) Being mentally unstable or having any of the diseases as prescribed in the Ministerial Regulations.

Foreigners who fall into any of the following categories are prohibited to enter the Kingdom.

((cut))

(4) Being mentally unstable or having any of the diseases as prescribed in the Ministerial Regulations.

Wow Will the authorities know about it?? I mean How will they know?

One million baht will never last until you are old enough to collect social security benefits. You will eat up a significant chunk of it just doing visa runs just to keep your immigration status up to date. You are definitely going to have to find some kind of job.

One million baht will never last until you are old enough to collect social security benefits. You will eat up a significant chunk of it just doing visa runs just to keep your immigration status up to date. You are definitely going to have to find some kind of job.

Can he open a little store or internet cafe??

((cut))

the answer is YES.

If as suggested by him, he is going to apply (now is too young to get pension) for social security based on mental instability, this (when approved, and US are not so easy going) will be public and pretty easy to be notified to Thai authorities whenever he will apply for a working Visa or register a company.

If he stays in Thai as a Tourist, no problem, but 1,000,000 Baht won't last so long!!!

QUOTE]I wonder is social security money enough to live in thailand?? does he have to supplement his income another way?

Now there is a question that has as many different answers as there are Falong in Thailand. There is another on going thread that has a lot of ideas, opinions, etc. on this.

First, I would say that "stormbrewing" probably isn't going to collect much in the way of social security if he is now only in his "late 30's". So, will he get the top allowable payments allowed? Probably not, but of course I wouldn't know his circumstances. If you go to the SS website they have "tons" of info concerning collecting while living overseas.

At any rate, the people that I know who are collecting SS money are also receiving some military retirement money. They seem to be doing "ok" on this, not extravagant, but they tell me they are quite content.

((cut))

the answer is YES.

If as suggested by him, he is going to apply (now is too young to get pension) for social security based on mental instability, this (when approved, and US are not so easy going) will be public and pretty easy to be notified to Thai authorities whenever he will apply for a working Visa or register a company.

If he stays in Thai as a Tourist, no problem, but 1,000,000 Baht won't last so long!!!

I don't think the Thai authorities would ever find out. Even if Thai Authorities figured out that he was on disabiity and contacted the US SS administration, I doubt SS Admin would release information about the cause of his disability. I believe that max SS benefits now are around $1800/month, but on disability its going to be a lot less than this.

((cut))

the answer is YES.

I don't think the Thai authorities would ever find out. Even if Thai Authorities figured out that he was on disabiity and contacted the US SS administration, I doubt SS Admin would release information about the cause of his disability. I believe that max SS benefits now are around $1800/month, but on disability its going to be a lot less than this.

Yes Max benefits are 1800 a month he just needs to get a job also if possible.

sorry guys 1800$ / months are good money, but you must be 100% disable!!!!

Not even a person on wheel chair gets 100%!!!

This Guy wants to visit a doctor, and just because he is depressed he will get ..... how much??? Probably he will be entitled for 300$ per months and get a SCAR on his CV which will take him off the job market forever!!!

What do you do in Thai on 300$ per month??

The vorm man makes much more ........

If declaring to be depressed will entitle me to receive 1800$ per month for all my life, I'M DEPRESSED, CRONIC, NEAR THE SUICIDE, FANATIC (for pussy) ....

I'd say go-for-it! If it doesn't work out you're still young enough to go back to the US and start over. 1 mill baht will not last long though, if you can invest it in a business - restaurant, guesthouse, internet cafe, etc... instead of living off of it, you could generate enough income to live here comfortably.

Should I run away to Thailand?

This is the question that many men ask themselves each time they put down their heavily-soiled copy of Asian Babes. Do you have what it takes to start a new life in the exotic East? Yes?

Do you want to live with a raddled prostitute who cheats you into financial ruin before legging it back to her drug-dealing Thai boyfriend?

Do you want to amuse the ladies of the Nana Disco with your ridiculous dyed comb-over whilst trying to coax them back to your place for a grudging sympathy-shag?

Do you want to become a fat, tedious, no-mates <deleted> with a bottle of Chang beer welded to your hand?

Do you want to buy a dream bar, go broke and stage a dramatic death-plunge from your Pattaya balcony?

answer yes to these questions & you'll qualify to join the rest of us :o

Should I run away to Thailand?

This is the question that many men ask themselves each time they put down their heavily-soiled copy of Asian Babes. Do you have what it takes to start a new life in the exotic East? Yes?

Do you want to live with a raddled prostitute who cheats you into financial ruin before legging it back to her drug-dealing Thai boyfriend?

Do you want to amuse the ladies of the Nana Disco with your ridiculous dyed comb-over whilst trying to coax them back to your place for a grudging sympathy-shag?

Do you want to become a fat, tedious, no-mates <deleted> with a bottle of Chang beer welded to your hand?

Do you want to buy a dream bar, go broke and stage a dramatic death-plunge from your Pattaya balcony?

answer yes to these questions & you'll qualify to join the rest of us :o

Many are considering your suggestions Harry.

Yes Max benefits are 1800 a month    he just needs to get a job also if possible.

$1800 x 41 = 73,800 baht/month...... not enough in and of itself? :o

$1,800USD is enough but Storm is only in his late 30's so he's got to wait another 22 years to collect at age 62. And then, he won't collect the full 1800 as he hasn't been contributing to SS for those last years.