New Underpasses

Maejo Man

Yeah, you guessed it.....They are under water, well at least the San Dok has about a foot of water on the road, with dozens of little men in yellow jackets and hard hats rushing around loads of portable pumps. Kuang Sing fared a little better with only a few inches in the underpass.

15 or so hours of rain, and it's panic stations. I wonder what will happen when it really starts to rain :o

Yeah, you guessed it.....They are under water, well at least the San Dok has about a foot of water on the road, with dozens of little men in yellow jackets and hard hats rushing around loads of portable pumps. Kuang Sing fared a little better with only a few inches in the underpass.

15 or so hours of rain, and it's panic stations. I wonder what will happen when it really starts to rain :o

Sad but true.

Not surprising at all.

Planning ahead never seems to be a strong point with the Thai construction industry.

I remember that some of the underpasses on the Middle Rd flooded after the first rain. After that, it was clear. I Hope the same thing happens with this new underpass.

Im sure its just "teething" problems very much likened to our new BKK airport :o:D

I remember that some of the underpasses on the Middle Rd flooded after the first rain. After that, it was clear. I Hope the same thing happens with this new underpass.

Im sure its just "teething" problems very much likened to our new BKK airport :o:D

You mean there are "no cracks in the concrete..."? :D OK, so are there pumps in the pump room?

OMG that bad ? :D

OMG that bad ? :D

Im sure theres nothing to worry about, before entering the underpass during/after a downpour, ensure you are in posession of your lucky beads/charms/rabbits foot/Jatukarm/amulet/lucky red socks/ :D and you will be ok

Im sure its just "teething" problems very much likened to our new BKK airport :D:D

You mean there are "no cracks in the concrete..."? :D OK, so are there pumps in the pump room?

the first guy that reported that got nailed :o

Until we know why, what purpose to lay blame on the entire Thai construction industry?

Thai road engineers are some of the best in Asia so it probably is not a design problem. Once they clean out the drains or even hook them up, we won't really know if the problem will re-occur.

Even in the vaunted West, trades step all over each other in construction caring not a twit for the trade that precedes them, so construction debris is often a major plumbing problem and requires call backs to construction plumbers.

Until we know why, what purpose to lay blame on the entire Thai construction industry?

Thai road engineers are some of the best in Asia so it probably is not a design problem. Once they clean out the drains or even hook them up, we won't really know if the problem will re-occur.

Even in the vaunted West, trades step all over each other in construction caring not a twit for the trade that precedes them, so construction debris is often a major plumbing problem and requires call backs to construction plumbers.

Good post.

No pumps installed yet, this is the dry season.

Never rains in CM until May at the earliest.

I have seen it rain here in January and February, and last year is rained a bit during songkran I believe.

It pretty much rains every Songkran. Rains start before May.

No pumps installed yet, this is the dry season.

Never rains in CM until May at the earliest.

I have seen it rain here in January and February, and last year is rained a bit during songkran I believe.

It pretty much rains every Songkran. Rains start before May.

True, but usually only once or twice until the end of May and it is boiling hot the rest of the time.

Last year was very different, however! :o

I agree. When compared to either Indonesia or Malaysia (not counting their capitals and Bali), their streets are one of the worst i've seen in my life.

Thai road engineers are some of the best in Asia so it probably is not a design problem...

OMG, this comment should have posted in the jokes forum.

Perhaps the poster left out a word?

"Thai road engineers are some of the best ___________ in Asia..."

I watch Thai engineers being trained and am close friends with an engineering professor. I also have been nearly everywhere in Thailand via their roads. Perhaps the poster would like to share the authority for his head-in-the-sand assertion?

Thai road engineers are some of the best in Asia so it probably is not a design problem...

OMG, this comment should have posted in the jokes forum.

Perhaps the poster left out a word?

"Thai road engineers are some of the best ___________ in Asia..."

I watch Thai engineers being trained and am close friends with an engineering professor. I also have been nearly everywhere in Thailand via their roads. Perhaps the poster would like to share the authority for his head-in-the-sand assertion?

Yes, poor ingresses and egresses, no substrate materials to prevent roads sinking, insufficient or no banking on turns, turn radiuses too sharp, road slopes often unnecessarily steep. road width just big enough to prevent two cars passing without both slowing and maneuvering to the shoulder. It's increased my attentiveness while driving, so I'm grateful for that.

Yes, poor ingresses and egresses, no substrate materials to prevent roads sinking, insufficient or no banking on turns, turn radiuses too sharp, road slopes often unnecessarily steep. road width just big enough to prevent two cars passing without both slowing and maneuvering to the shoulder. It's increased my attentiveness while driving, so I'm grateful for that.

Adding fuel to the fire...I'd love to meet the Thai engineer who designed the roads on Koh Phangan...to throttle him! :o