Why Don't Thai Banks Like Changing Visa Tc's?

Sep 14, 2004 -- Kaseekorn, Srinakarin Branch in Bangkok, refused to change a single GBP100 travellers cheque for payment into my well-established savings account. Valid passport ID with 3-month non-B business visa. Kept me waiting 20 minutes while they phoned head office. What a joke!

Bangkok Bank seem a little better but there is a distinct reluctance to change VISA TC's in Thailand. Could be a security issue if forgeries around, but this is no way to treat bona-fide tourists and business visitors. Yet another knee-jerk "money-saving" (= money-losing) ploy by the short-sighted Thai!

• 2 weeks later...

Believe you are more likely to have better service from an exchange booth that does this conversation as a matter of routine rather than in a bank where they may never has seen them. But have not used checks in many years and always used AmEx. One thing that was often required was the bill of sale for the checks.

Believe you are more likely to have better service from an exchange booth that does this conversation as a matter of routine rather than in a bank where they may never has seen them. But have not used checks in many years and always used AmEx. One thing that was often required was the bill of sale for the checks.

Exchange places not linked to the banks will generally only take a couple of traveller's cheques, AND will give a worse exchange rate than they do for cash. (exact opposite of the ones linked to banks which give a better exchange rate for T/C - but you lose most of the gain with the stamp duty.)

I know the Bangkok Bank exchange place (6th floor?) in MBK takes travellers cheques - no problem..., even at the weekends. You could then go down to the branch in the same building to put the money in your account...

It might also be a branch issue.

- I know some smaller branches of Bangkok Bank don't do foreign exchange at all (not even cash deposits to a savings account), and you have to go to a larger branch.

Along the same thread , I was thinking about using AAA traveler's checks this time . I get them for no fee . Has anyone tried using them in Thailand ? Or the new ( well , new to me ) AMEX travel card . You have to pre pay but how much can you get out at one time ? Will a bank accept this card ?

• 6 months later...
VISA stops by default the use of VISA cards in many foreing countries all around the world (including USA !!!  :o ).

U have to ask your bank to activate ur VISA card in such specific country before to go on travel, including in/out dates.

VISA doesn't block all the cards.

It depends on the bank.

Some banks even block internet use of the card.

Crazy!