Looking For Experiences With Container Houses

So, for a long time I have had a piece of land that I have been wishing to develop. Problem is, I have doubts about its long term viability either as a rental location or as a permanent abode given the coming trials of energy depletion, so I have been hesitant to put any money into it.

I have long considered a prefab house that I could pick up and move somewhere else if things really didn't work out, but have been stymied by the unreasonable prices most people quote.

I finally found a Chinese company called Factory Express that appears to have some sense of reality and is pricing their stuff accordingly. To avoid running afoul of the TV link regulations, you can just google "factoryexpress PCH". They should be the first one that comes up. (PCH means personalized container housing)

Their prices for the basic shell are about 5000 baht per sq. meter, and then they offer "option packs" for things like the kitchen and bathroom. Be advised their website is horrible, many links don't work, and their floorplans leave something to be desired. They really are targeting companies that need to provide mass, uncomplicated housing. I have no doubt however that I could customize a few things to be more reasonable once I actually the received the structure.

My question to all of you is if anyone has any experience with prefab housing, and the issues with importing, construction, and registration. For example, how do the local officials react to granting a construction permit for this? If it is classified as "temporary" is it even necessary? What about getting a tabien bahn and an address? Is there any reason to expect this will be more difficult with a prefab structure vs. a brick and mortar one?

Any thoughts or advice appreciated. Anyone ever heard of FactoryExpress before?

I think it is a very viable option IF you can put up with the eight foot width. The narrow width put me off the idea.

Gary ,

You can put two together to make 16' or 3 for 24' etc :o

I'm sure there will be companies in Thailand making the same thing.

Construction companies use similar all the time as site offices.

Cheers

Being all metal they would be unbearable hot in the summer. We kept our furnishings and misc in one for a couple of years. Even with a shade cloth cover over it,

Actually that's a misconception.

If it was just a steel container with no ventilation , insulation , pitched roof and air-conditioning you would be correct.

As it is these type of temporary structures can be made to be very comfortable.

Cheers

Import tax might kill the deal, no?

My sources tell me that with some creative explanations I could probably get it at the 5% rate plus the 7% VAT and a reasonable fee. If you know of a Thai company that can provide a similarly priced item please let me know. Dealing with customs is always a hassle to be avoided if possible.