How To Buy A Motorbike Or Car In Your Own Name?

mrolsen

by the immigration office to get my address registered, sp couldn't buy in my own name, so had to buy in a Thai friend's name!!

I recently tried to get a letter of residence in order to buy a motorbike but was told by immigration that I have to change my initial three month visa into a one year visa before they will give me the letter - and I can only do that during the last four weeks of the first three months of my non immigrant visa - obviously I have no idea why this is the case but that's what the rule is :o

Where the heck do you guys live?

I've bought two bikes in five years. Only two things needed: cash and passport. Both bikes in my name.

I guess chalk it up to very unequal application of the rules & regs. which I know is so hard to believe... :o

I am on a non-imm 'O' yearly extension and when I tried to put a bike in my own name I only had one month left and was told to come back when I had a new extension. I got a letter of residence from immigration which was either 100 or 200 Baht when I got a new extension they just Tippexed over the old date and photocopied it. I went in with all the documents I thought I required but the guy behind the counter said I needed a lot more documents. I went back the next day with them and his boss said I didn't need them and threw them in the bin. Like all things here it is up to the guy you talk to and if he likes you or wants to be a to$$er.

I bought my bike on my 60 day tourist visa, new from Yamaha, only thing i needed was cash and passport.

However to get a number plate, i had to go to my local consulate, and get a letter confirming my address here (was free to get the letter) then take it back to Yamaha and wait 2 months for my number plate to come. In the meantime i was given papers for the bike (green book, etc.) all in my name, and told that if police stoped me for not having a number plate, to show those papers and it would be fine, i never got stoped.