Best Eateries Of Pattaya, Please Add To The List....

NanLaew

Yes them boring T bone steak eaters for one ! :o ,...as you say they travel to thailand from scunthorpe or new yok and want fish and chips or a burger !..

That's one of the reasons why Pattaya is such a great place to live. One can find decent fish n' chips, or a burger or any other farang food that one desires. It's one place in Thailand where eating Thai all day is not necessary.

I agree to a point, I like and eat a lot of thai food but there is only so much rice my stomach can take before I need a bit of potato in any form and some bread but as for the decent fish and chips or a decent burger that still part of the holy grail along with Brit Indian food.

So Tropo if you can point us in the direction of a decent fish and chips or burger I'm sure there would be many grateful farangs.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had fish and chips at the Caddyshack at the weekend, and it was very good. I have found the food in there can be somewhat hit and miss though.

I was impressed with the Trattoria Italian place on beach road.

There are only 2 establishments that I keep going back to - Canterbury Tales on soi Chayapoom for English Breakfast, and pizza delivery from Nick The Pizza. Yes I now they are crap foods, and I do not eat them frequently, but when I get the urge these are the places I would use and thoroughly recommend. Everything else I tend to cook at home.

Wow, I found Nick the Pizza truly horrible. But I loved the Tratoria place on beach road. Its not unusual for people's taste to be different, but I fail to understand how anyone who appeciates that trattoria can seriously think Nick the Pizza is not total crapola.

Edited by Jingthing

So Tropo if you can point us in the direction of a decent fish and chips or burger I'm sure there would be many grateful farangs.

I'm sorry, but I hardly ever eat fish n' chips and burgers but there are many places that have been discussed on this site to try.

I have a friend that is addicted to McDonalds burgers, so each person has their own idea of what a good burger should be.

Perhaps it would be a good idea to start a burger thread.

Wow, I found Nick the Pizza truly horrible. But I loved the Tratoria place on beach road. Its not unusual for people's taste to be different, but I fail to understand how anyone who appeciates that trattoria can seriously think Nick the Pizza is not total crapola.

I didn't try the pizza in there, and quite honestly probably wouldn't know a good pizza from a bad one. All I know is I cant stand these doughy inch thick things that the main pizza chains turn out. My g/f wont eat them as she says the tomato sauce is too sour, which is probably why I like them - well 2 reasons to like them (not having to share).

Yes them boring T bone steak eaters for one ! :o ,...as you say they travel to thailand from scunthorpe or new yok and want fish and chips or a burger !..

That's one of the reasons why Pattaya is such a great place to live. One can find decent fish n' chips, or a burger or any other farang food that one desires. It's one place in Thailand where eating Thai all day is not necessary.

But where ? its been asked many times but ive not seen a conclusive answer , :D

Nor will you ever find a "conclusive" answer as such a creature doesn't exist. As can been seen from this thread, and many others on the same or similar topics, what is one man's caviar is another's fish paste. Add to that staff changes and the best restaurant can fall from grace overnight.

Of course there are those that would consider judging the quality of a restaurant by it's fish and chips or burgers to be like judging a painting by the frame.

To Wilko - if you want gourmet food at budget prices you just have to try Cherry Restaurant on 3rd Road almost opposite X-Zyte.

Other faves of mine:

Nang Nual on Walking Street just past Tony's - great steaks.

Small unnamed restaurant on soi 15 just past Beach Club - best khao pat I've ever had and good khao man gai for 30 baht.

Little Wonder in the arcade next to Kiss - almost authentic pie, mash and liquor.

Spaghetti Factory on Beach Road - excellent thin-crust pizzas and other Italian food.

Nice to see this thread clipping along without me.

It was started just to see if there was the same interest in boosting decent places versus the slagging that appeared in a 'Worst Eateries' thread started earlier. Just to note, the OP never used the term 'gourmet'. The word 'eatery' alludes to down-home or comfort food, Thai or farang, rather than 5-star Egon Ronnay or the opposite end of dire franchised fast food but certainly not gourmet dining. Of course that gets all buggered up with this new-fangled invention, the 'boutique' restaurant. Wasn't that what we called 'hole-in-the-wall' in an earlier life?

Yes, the thread isn't new but as pointed out, venues come and go or change hands but maybe more importantly, someone with less Pattaya mileage (less jaded?) may point out a new place that would otherwise be missed. Of course, there are some that chose to put down another's opinion which, although not in the true spirit of the OP, is welcomed if it is qualified or if they add some recommendations of their own.

So the top of my to-do list is reserved for those places recommended that I have never tried that don't have any unqualified negative comments. Thanks for the input but keep it coming.

BTW. I gave up on getting consistently good fish and chips in Pattaya so bought a deep fryer. After the wife introduced me to Gogi tempura batter mix, I only eat her fish and chips!

Has anyone tried that new Japanese restaurant on the left side (beach side) of 2nd Road? Sorry, but I can't remember the name.

They have a sushi train.

Whereabouts on 2nd road exacty Tropo? May have to send the wife out on recce while I am in absentia.

The Grill Room, Royal Cliff.

Seconded! My lovely other half took me here last night for Valentine's day and the meal was gorgeous. We had the Chateaubriand and it was cooked to perfection and was a good sized portion. Only downside was the starters, they were very small portions and the Ceasar salad was almost non existant. I would definitely go back here for the main courses and the wine. Lovely.

Seconded! My lovely other half took me here last night for Valentine's day and the meal was gorgeous. We had the Chateaubriand and it was cooked to perfection and was a good sized portion. Only downside was the starters, they were very small portions and the Ceasar salad was almost non existant. I would definitely go back here for the main courses and the wine. Lovely.

Chateaubriand in Thailand? I have to try this.

If it's not too rude, how much did this cost your lovely other half? I am not a cheapskate but I think some of these places charging 3 or 4 thousand per head are just taking the p!ss. They have to realise that this is Thailand and at those prices you could be dining in a swanky London restaurant.

Has anyone tried that new Japanese restaurant on the left side (beach side) of 2nd Road? Sorry, but I can't remember the name.

They have a sushi train.

Whereabouts on 2nd road exacty Tropo? May have to send the wife out on recce while I am in absentia.

Its between soi 6 and soi 5 called something Sushi. Its the only business going in what is a big empty shell.

For pizza I recommend Cosa Nostra in the small soi between pattaya klang and soi 7.

Never been disappointed when eating there.

On my last visit to Patts (last month), I went to Patrick’s in the arcade opposite Mike shopping. I had a pepper steak and it was delicious. I asked for it to be cooked medium/rare, and it came out just as I had hoped. The meat was surprisingly tender (it was not imported beef).

L’Olivier in Jomtien Complex is also worth mentioning. They serve Mediterranean/French food of very high quality compared to the price. The three/four courses set menu is only around 350 bath if I remember correctly. Decent choice of wine as well.

If it's not too rude, how much did this cost your lovely other half? I am not a cheapskate but I think some of these places charging 3 or 4 thousand per head are just taking the p!ss. They have to realise that this is Thailand and at those prices you could be dining in a swanky London restaurant.

Nope I dont find it rude at all SC. The Chateaubriand was 1600 for the two of us. It was carved at the table and was a very generous portion with large baked potato, large portion of risotto style vegetables and duck liver pate wrapped in bacon. I thought the quality/quantity of the meal reflected the price. Like I said tho the starters were not good value for money at all but we would both go back for the mains.

Just for the record too, we went to Manhattan's last night and unfortunately had to put one dish back (braised steak 860Bht) as it was full of fat. In the restaurants defense tho the manager was extremely helpful and apologised and got me another dish which was delicious (steak kebabs) and two free drinks. My partner had the mixed grill and enjoyed it very much. Its a very nice restaurant too but I wouldn't recommend the braised steak!

Nope I dont find it rude at all SC. The Chateaubriand was 1600 for the two of us. It was carved at the table and was a very generous portion with large baked potato, large portion of risotto style vegetables and duck liver pate wrapped in bacon. I thought the quality/quantity of the meal reflected the price. Like I said tho the starters were not good value for money at all but we would both go back for the mains.

Just for the record too, we went to Manhattan's last night and unfortunately had to put one dish back (braised steak 860Bht) as it was full of fat. In the restaurants defense tho the manager was extremely helpful and apologised and got me another dish which was delicious (steak kebabs) and two free drinks. My partner had the mixed grill and enjoyed it very much. Its a very nice restaurant too but I wouldn't recommend the braised steak!

Thanks SarahJ, I will definitely be giving the Grill Room a try.

They have a sushi train.

Its between soi 6 and soi 5 called something Sushi. Its the only business going in what is a big empty shell.

post-34982-1203274467_thumb.jpgpost-34982-1203274488_thumb.jpg

NanLaew, there is plenting of parking space for your BIG truck. :o

There's a new noodle restaurant on Beach Road just south of Royal Garden Plaza.

It has an extensive menu with photos of each dish, and the actual meals look exactly the same as in the photos.

Most dishes are around the 90 - 120 baht price range. I've been there twice and enjoyed the food both times.

It's open until 1 am.

post-34982-1203275098_thumb.jpgpost-34982-1203275120_thumb.jpg

It looks like the 'Worst Eateries' thread will be a mish mash of bad AND good which for an old bugger like me will be too confusing, so...

Here's (probably another) 'Best Eateries' thread and I will nominate my 3 picks.

Vientiane at it's current location on Pattaya Tai road near Big C. Actually I 'discovered' it while at the previous location at the end of Walking Street before the exit to Bali Hai and I think the food and service was a tad better at the old place; maybe because it was more 'intimate' than the new 'barn' they occupy.

Somsak's on Soi 1. Just never, ever had a bad meal here or at any of his 3 previous locations over the past +20 years.

The small garden restaurant at the 'Belgian Embassy' on Soi 3 has a truly excellent menu, great desserts and Boncafe coffee. The distaff interest eating somtam at the entrance are quite entertaining and sometimes easy on the eye (or so I have been told).

Praise where it's due last few days i have eaten at Patricks Belgian restaurant in the small arcade next to Kiss food on second road, nice fella own's it funnily enuff his name's Patrick and he's suprise suprise from Belgium .I've been here a fair few years and really wished i'd found this place sooner,couldnt fault the choice on the menu and all the dishes we had were spot on in fact the best lamb chops ive ever demolished and for the quality you get not badly priced at around 10 quid a head for 3 courses and very nice red wine WELL WORTH A VISIT. Might have to book it was a full house both times i went,

There's a new noodle restaurant on Beach Road just south of Royal Garden Plaza.

It has an extensive menu with photos of each dish, and the actual meals look exactly the same as in the photos.

Most dishes are around the 90 - 120 baht price range. I've been there twice and enjoyed the food both times.

It's open until 1 am.

post-34982-1203275098_thumb.jpgpost-34982-1203275120_thumb.jpg

Does it get customers (apart from yourself)? Looks pretty quiet and I tend to avoid food places that are quiet as I like to know that the food hasn't been hanging around for a day or two! :o

Nooddi is rather new. I believe it is a chain restaurant. I have seen it empty and packed depending on the time of day and wouldn't have any concerns about food freshness. Based on my one experience, it isn't bad at all. I first requested some kind of Viet noodles with roasted chicken and they later told me they didn't have the thin noodles pictured on the menu in stock, would I take the medium fat noodles? I give them credit for telling me because believe it or not, I cared and ordered another item. It is so common in Thailand for waiters not to tell you that a dish you order will be totally different than the picture or menu description, so kuddis to Nooddis. The place is called Nooddi obviously a play on Noodle and there are glass cases in the place filled with dried noodles of all kinds. So I couldn't help having a joke with the waiter about how they didn't have noodles at Nooddi as I pointed to the walls (thinking maybe they could open up one of those glass cases). Anyway, instead I tried the Sukhothai Noodles which featured a very interesting, tasty, rich, and spicy broth checkered with dried shrimps. The portions were Thai size and I would go back based on the flavor of that one dish.

Edited by Jingthing

seafood emporium located on the corner near immigration. i am not a seafood eater but my friends are. they all loved it, large portions, good service and good prices. i got the pizza and it was the best i have had in thailand and rivals pizza in the states. English owner I believe. i got the last one on the list #12 I think and it had everything. 6 of us went and 5 got seafood and i got pizza. after tasting my pizza all 5 went back next night for the pizza. i didn't go only because of my waistline

and no, i dont have anything to do with it other than hoping they stay in business, I like pizza

I am afraid I am going to have to say that I think the pizza at the Seafood Emporium is not good pizza and bears no resemblance to good pizza you could get in the states. Specifically, I found the crust tasteless cardboard variety and the so called gourmet toppings presented as tiny specks. Other than that, the flavor was pretty good but I can't forgive a crappy crust. For Pattaya, in my view, it is average pizza (meaning: bad and not worth the price). Favorite local pizzas so far: Pizza Big in Naklua and that Trattoria place on Beach road, Pattaya. Pan Pan in the shop pretty good (but the calzone is bad).

Edited by Jingthing

I am afraid I am going to have to say that I think the pizza at the Seafood Emporium is not good pizza and bears no resemblance to good pizza you could get in the states. Specifically, I found the crust tasteless cardboard variety and the so called gourmet toppings presented as tiny specks. For Pattaya, in my view, it is average pizza (meaning: bad and not worth the price). Favorite local pizzas so far: Pizza Big in Naklua and that Trattoria place on Beach road, Pattaya.

crust thin and good. could not pick up the slice since there were so many toppings. i only had the last one on the list so i dont know about the others but that was loaded my friends and i loved it but everyone has their own opinion :o

Jimmy, I had the delivery takeout one variety and it was not good. Sometimes the experience in shop is much different. Might be worth a try for those in the area to see for yourself. I agree, tastes with pizzas vary. However, I do think most people would enjoy the pizza at that Trattoria place.

Edited by Jingthing